Spectrum memes

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Re: Spectrum memes

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Looks to me like it doesn't erase character cells if it knows it's just going to be a solid colour attribute block so it just sets the ink and paper to the same value without erasing the pixels?

Which is a neat way of doing efficient 8 pixel scrolling.

EDIT: So when it draws a solid colour cell it doesn't erase anything at all, it just sets the ink and paper (to be the same). If it has to draw a triangle or a tree or whatever it just replaces what was in the cell with pixels and then writes the attribs. So all the junk in that screengrab is parts of old frames that have only been overwritten by solid colour cells.

I might nick that idea actually ;)

EDIT2: Unless you mean how does it know when to move the shadow behind stuff/how far up the cliff top is... in which case it will just be a height per tile stored in the map and the height is just added on the the x,y position like in standard orthographic projection stuff.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Yep I'm not sure if @TMD2003 means how is the scenery stored (as in a map or something that draws 'smart' as it goes) either.
ParadigmShifter wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:04 am Looks to me like it doesn't erase character cells if it knows it's just going to be a solid colour attribute block so it just sets the ink and paper to the same value without erasing the pixels?
Yep that's it. A very useful quirk of the Speccys attributes! It must be pretty common. I know Maze Death Race and Paralympic Obstacle Kayaking use it.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Never realised how intricate TLL was.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

350 quid and three and a half years (plus change)... and you know what that means... I have heard the call.

"Your parcel is on its way..."

"...with Yodel."
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

The 5 key on my Next is already taking a pounding.

Next BASIC programmers will know why. And for those of you who don't know, %this %is %a %huge %clue.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:00 pm Image
This one really made me chuckle :lol: :lol:
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Vampyre wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:30 am This one really made me chuckle :lol: :lol:
Mega crucial.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:26 pm Image
And on a +.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

PeteProdge wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:04 am Image
You're probably gettign no likes because there is a lack of context. The only reason I "get" that picture now is that someone randomly posted a YouTube video of some bloke talking of that Glasgow Willy Wonka debacle on a Discord server I'm on. Since it's sorta UK news I doubt I would have heard of it otherwise. Here's a link to that video.
flange
Drutt

Post by flange »

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

XTM wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:34 pm You're probably gettign no likes because there is a lack of context. The only reason I "get" that picture now is that someone randomly posted a YouTube video of some bloke talking of that Glasgow Willy Wonka debacle on a Discord server I'm on. Since it's sorta UK news I doubt I would have heard of it otherwise.
Oh, the story's gone viral worldwide this week. All over the socials, as the young people say.

I don't expect everyone to get the reference, it is a new thing and I do occasionally tap into new stuff. Yeah, everyone would get Distracted Boyfriend, This Is Fine and Spiderman Pointing At Spiderman, but it gets tiring going for those easy quick wins. I think this will get established and I'm not bothered about a few people not getting it at the moment. (And that YouTube video is a terrible explainer, the editor has distorted images and video which kind of ruins the actual depiction of the event. That's a sin far worse than the crappy unfiltered AI the event organiser used!)

There is definitely scope for CSSCGC entry all about the terrible Willy Chocolate Experience, either as someone entering it, or as an in-character protaganist.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I'd seen the Wonka meme (it's new but has popped up a few places) but I didn't know who Tiertex were... :oops:
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

That Wonka Experience feels pretty much like I felt after going to Cadbury World with my kids in about 2010. Okay, it's nowhere near as bad as that, but it's probably the most disappointing day out I've ever had. I/we had been wanting to go for years and I wasn't expecting Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory but I was expecting a lot more than:

- Being funnelled down badly-painted partition walls that hid everything from view in the dis-used factory.
- Every member of staff being utterly miserable.
- Getting to a room where the miserable staff handed my kids a funnel of chocolate so they would write their name on a piece of slate that was immediately wiped off.
- The crap amount of chocolate the kids got. Supposedly one of the highlights.
- The videos, dear god, the endless videos.
- The crap adventure playground at the end.

About the biggest highlight was the drumming gorilla. Everything else about it was completely and utterly sh*t.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Vampyre wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:23 am That Wonka Experience feels pretty much like I felt after going to Cadbury World with my kids in about 2010. Okay, it's nowhere near as bad as that, but it's probably the most disappointing day out I've ever had. I/we had been wanting to go for years and I wasn't expecting Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory but I was expecting a lot more than:

- Being funnelled down badly-painted partition walls that hid everything from view in the dis-used factory.
- Every member of staff being utterly miserable.
- Getting to a room where the miserable staff handed my kids a funnel of chocolate so they would write their name on a piece of slate that was immediately wiped off.
- The crap amount of chocolate the kids got. Supposedly one of the highlights.
- The videos, dear god, the endless videos.
- The crap adventure playground at the end.

About the biggest highlight was the drumming gorilla. Everything else about it was completely and utterly sh*t.
...So you're going back there this weekend...?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Vampyre wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:23 am That Wonka Experience feels pretty much like I felt after going to Cadbury World with my kids in about 2010. Okay, it's nowhere near as bad as that, but it's probably the most disappointing day out I've ever had. I/we had been wanting to go for years and I wasn't expecting Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory but I was expecting a lot more
You think that's bad?

I paid for a 'subterranean adventure of a lifetime'. I stepped into this cavern, couldn't get out because of a locked door. Had to search the area for a key somewhere, had to jump up to a ledge, leap over a seriously lethal plant, over the only bit there that was properly paved, then the part afterwards started collapsing beneath me. Luckily I jumped up to a nearby ledge and sought refuge on a moving conveyor belt, although that nearly plunged me towards another dodgy plant, had to skip over that, then sought refuge on another paved area. There was no way off this unless I went along the rest of the conveyor belt, but some man-sized clockwork griffin thing was marching up and down and I feared for my life. Nothing to do but just leap like hell to avoid him. Then I had leap even further up some ledges where I could see some keys glinting in the darkness.

I could go on, I really could, but thankfully I got out of there, but I advise nobody to repeat what I did. I don't think anyone here would enjoy it.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:56 am You think that's bad?

I paid for a 'subterranean adventure of a lifetime'. (Snip!- Ed.)
I could go on, I really could, but thankfully I got out of there, but I advise nobody to repeat what I did. I don't think anyone here would enjoy it.
I don't see you complaining about all the valuable minerals you picked up in there, or that party you threw in that oversized mansion you bought with all the dosh you got from selling said minerals. Never mind the tax man ...
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:50 am There is definitely scope for CSSCGC entry all about the terrible Willy Chocolate Experience, either as someone entering it, or as an in-character protaganist.
There was certainly one stand-out character from the whole fiasco that definitely has some potential…

[+embiggen] [based on Voyage into the Unknown]