Cozumel (Aventuras AD): B/W version?

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Cozumel (Aventuras AD): B/W version?

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

In Cozumel:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/6 ... um/Cozumel

I noticed that the version of the game available in the TAP files include black & white graphics whereas the TZX files (both AD and IBSA releases) include coloured graphics... maybe is there a third b/w release?
^m00h^
Dizzy

Re: Cozumel (Aventuras AD): B/W version?

Post by ^m00h^ »

Could someone who knows spanish very well decompile and translate this game into english ?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

^m00h^ wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:18 am Could someone who knows spanish very well decompile and translate this game into english ?
Indeed, a very good adventure!
goodboy
Microbot

Post by goodboy »

in the basic loader (tap version) print channel is redirected instead of the screen to the printer
poke 23739,111
(disable print the names of the loaded blocks on the screen)
try poke 23739,244 before start code block
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

^m00h^ wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:18 am Could someone who knows spanish very well decompile and translate this game into english ?
It's perfectly possible to translate a Spanish adventure into an English one, the community does do projects like that... I've worked on one of those myself... but it takes a lot of work to do a decent job. I think people have discussed translating many of the Adventuras A.D. games in the past. It is, however, a lot of work for something that has a very (very) small audience... People don't play all the great text/text-graphic adventures that have already been written in English as it is.

It would be technically straightforward to convert Cozumel, as we have DAAD in Spanish and English... We already have the tools to decompile the existing game, and the tools to remake it as an English-language game. That's pretty straightforward.

One of the issues is that you have to translate not only the game text but you need to translate all the vocab/commands too. This could potentially involve a fair amount of "new" programming... as there would possibly be vocabulary clashes that need sorting out etc.

There have been some good community translations. (I'm not a fan of heavy-handed translations, where all the soul of the original versions is taken out in an effort to make everything "correct English". Spanish is such a cool language, with its own set of really poetic idioms, that it always makes me sad when they're stripped from games and replaced with boring English ones.)
Last edited by 8BitAG on Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

As you can see in the small screenshots in the backcover, an English vesion was planed/developed but never released.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:31 am I noticed that the version of the game available in the TAP files include black & white graphics whereas the TZX files (both AD and IBSA releases) include coloured graphics... maybe is there a third b/w release?
That must be a bug of the backup or something so, I cant remember two versions BITD.

Edit: they released certainly two versions, but it was about a bug in the commands of a puzzle.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

There's still a chance, iirc, that Tim Giberts might have some remnants of the English release of Cozumel in his archives. The community was talking to Mr. Samudio about the possibility of resurrecting the project at one point.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
goodboy
Microbot

Post by goodboy »

+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Here are the source codes of all the Aventuras AD text adventures, including Cozumel:
http://www.ngpaws.com/downloads/undaad_AventurasAD.zip
(by Uto)
CaptainKrenon
Drutt

Post by CaptainKrenon »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:31 am In Cozumel:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/6 ... um/Cozumel

I noticed that the version of the game available in the TAP files include black & white graphics whereas the TZX files (both AD and IBSA releases) include coloured graphics... maybe is there a third b/w release?
Sorry for resurrecting this thread. I'm pretty sure that there's no b/w version, that's a bug in the program:

- Open Cozumel (one of the official versions).
- Start the game, type 'load' or 'cargar' and enter any name.
- When the game tries to load from tape press BREAK.

There's your b/w version now :-) I actually just checked that TAP version and the game is identical to the IBSA release, the reason why it appears in b/w is probably a bug in the loader or something.

About Cozumel, I was recently comparing the original (buggy) version with the fixed IBSA one, there's only one byte difference between the two, so you can fix the original one with a POKE:

First part:
POKE 55348, 215

Second part:
POKE 56711, 220

I don't know if it makes sense to include this in the ZXDB, what would be way to do that? Is there an issue tracker or something?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

CaptainKrenon wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:38 pm I don't know if it makes sense to include this in the ZXDB, what would be way to do that? Is there an issue tracker or something?
It could be added as a bugfixed tape image. Is it just those two POKEs? I could prepare it later.
CaptainKrenon
Drutt

Post by CaptainKrenon »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:47 pm It could be added as a bugfixed tape image. Is it just those two POKEs? I could prepare it later.
There are two official editions, the second one (IBSA) is already the bugfixed one, so there's no need to provide additional images.

I thought about maybe listing the POKEs just for reference, the same way the "Known errors" text currently shows the workarounds for the buggy version that were published by the developers on the magazines back in the day.

Anyone who actually wants to play the game should go straight to the IBSA edition, there's no need to POKE anything.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ah I see. I'd say POKEs are best included via the TipShop, and Cozumel already has a page there (see related links in the SC entry). You can just send the POKEs to Gerard.