Gaming company Simulator

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Arcachnar
Microbot

Gaming company Simulator

Post by Arcachnar »

I am not entirely sure if this is already done, but what if it is a simulation game where you are a head of an upcoming game developer company where you have to create games, coping with deadlines, recruiting and keeping your programmers and others happy (or firing them if they are making trouble or mistakes), dealing with disgruntled ex-employers, Fighting against bankcruptcy or against an overbearing company that have bought you and want you to things that can certainly ruin your games.
MarkRJones1970
Microbot

Re: Gaming company Simulator

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Mark R. Jones

Ex-Ocean Software graphic artist -
Download my FREE PDF 'LOAD DIJ DIJ' (180,000+ words): https://ko-fi.com/i/IG2G3BEJZP
ZX Art page: https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/m/mark-r-jones/
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Oh..I did not know that. (Hence the not sure) Sorry.

PS: It is probably done as well, but a kind of French Revolution simulator: Keeping it running (oiling it and all), gaining popularity, recruiting and training new people, cleaning baskets, sharping, repairing, organize it; off with their heads or not and whom? Oh. and let's hope it would not your own instead.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

This was fun in its day, it was on a covertape I had:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... ware_House
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Arcachnar wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:17 am you are a head of an upcoming game developer company where you have to create games, coping with deadlines, recruiting and keeping your programmers and others happy (or firing them if they are making trouble or mistakes), dealing with disgruntled ex-employers, Fighting against bankcruptcy or against an overbearing company that have bought you and want you to things that can certainly ruin your games.
There's also Just Imagine, but it doesn't cover all the ideas you mention. There is certainly room for a new software strategy game that has more depth.

Another angle could be where you play the underpaid coder. Trying to find work, get your game published, not get £shafted£, sleeping under your desk surrounded by takeaway boxes...
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

I'm just updating the Crash review of it and got reminded of this thread. Millionaire by Incentive is another.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Software House from Cult is the pinnacle of the genre.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Yeah that's the one I linked above.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:16 am There's also Just Imagine, but it doesn't cover all the ideas you mention. There is certainly room for a new software strategy game that has more depth.

Another angle could be where you play the underpaid coder. Trying to find work, get your game published, not get £shafted£, sleeping under your desk surrounded by takeaway boxes...
You could base it on Bob Pape's book about R-Type. I like the bit where he gets sued about the game by Activision or EA Arts because of some company buy out or something. And hes literally living in a single room above a taxi rank, with a sleeping bag and a 48k spectrum to code the game on, having to go the the arcade and spend his own money to pay r-type in order to know how the game works.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

They used to blind canaries to make them sing better. Does the programmer who has no life make a sweeter game? In this case - yes. Unfortunately for him.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

patters wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:44 pm They used to blind canaries to make them sing better. Does the programmer who has no life make a sweeter game? In this case - yes. Unfortunately for him.
It's not hard to see why he jacked it in!

Rampage is another great game by him.