Yet another Pac-Man for Speccy

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Grongy
Manic Miner

Yet another Pac-Man for Speccy

Post by Grongy »

Art-top and me are currently working on Pac-Man port for ZX Spectrum, still a lot of things to do, but maybe someone's interested to take a look at it.

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: Yet another Pac-Man for Speccy

Post by Pegaz »

Another good pac-man is always welcome, and this one looks really nice and polished, well done. :)
Although we allready have a Pac-Man emulator with the original Roms, I was most impressed by this unfinished version "SpecMan".
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... um/SpecMan
Silky smooth animation and gameplay, despite the fact that theres only one level in b/w.
I would really like to see it finished...

Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Smooth movement looks really good. I love the subtle movement of the ghost's eyes with their direction.
Maybe try making them occasionally glance in the player's direction, even if they're actually travelling the wrong way? Not sure if it would be a cool effect or just look like a glitch though. Maybe only if they're close, or on the run?

Not keen on a yellow ghost though; a little distracting for the player. Suggest he goes green. The Speccy's lack of orange is a real pain. He can always be recoloured in a ULA+ version.
scoppack
Dizzy

Post by scoppack »

I should have used your graphics for my version.
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

The development is still going on, here's the proof :) I made up the name "Spekku-man", the name "Spec-man" [obviously] was already taken, so I decided to make it more Japanesey, in analogy to Pakku-man. I hope noone would read that as "seppuku-man" though...

Here's the title screen and the amazing attract mode screen made by Art-top.

gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

Grongy wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:52 pm Art-top and me are currently working on Pac-Man port for ZX Spectrum, still a lot of things to do, but maybe someone's interested to take a look at it.

I think this is really beautiful! this is what a zx pacman should look in my opinion, thanks for this
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

gabriele amore wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:09 pm I think this is really beautiful! this is what a zx pacman should look in my opinion, thanks for this
Thank you for your kind words! ;)

Our game Spekku-man is gonna participate in CAFé demoparty game compo (October 21-23), shortly after that we're gonna publicly release it.

Stay tuned!

psychicparrot
Drutt

Post by psychicparrot »

This looks great! Proper Pac-Man on the Speccy.. sorry, proper *Spekku-Man* on the Speccy! XD Brilliant!
Check out me games on the itch!

https://psychicparrot.itch.io/
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Have you seen this?
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... -Man_Party

My 'inspiration' for this was Gnasher, which may have been a poor and jerky port but was (a) a proper bargain as one of the first ever £1.99 games and (b) attempted its own horizontal maze, better suited to the Speccy screen.

Gnash-Man Party! drives two different screen displays through a ZX-VGA-JOY and lets players control all 3 ghosts. The maze view is also in multicolour. The maze generation is based (roughly) on this algorithm, which I think generates far better mazes than the extra ones that were designed for Ms Pac-Man: https://shaunlebron.github.io/pacman-mazegen/ It's a brilliant concept in that it starts with placing the maze dividers as if they were Tetris pieces, so they all remain a simple set of shapes, rather than making a maze by tunnelling out corridors.

And my major contribution to the genre can be seen when you go up the screen - mine is, so far as I am aware, the only game of this type where the 'puck' man actually has an @rse! :lol:

XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

@Joefish You should have linked to a video with that annoying kid in it ;)
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

XTM wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:45 pm @Joefish You should have linked to a video with that annoying kid in it ;)
This one? :lol:

He was at Crash Live! 2023 too, and won in a 16-way play-off, playing as a ghost in the Final. We had the maze view projected on the big screen. The ghost players had their backs to it, so I don't think there was as much cheating!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Joefish wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:01 pm Have you seen this?
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... -Man_Party
This is the best Pacman I've seen on the Spectrum yet. :)
It would be great if you could make a classic 1player version, with this great engine.
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Pegaz wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:35 am This is the best Pacman I've seen on the Spectrum yet. :)
It would be great if you could make a classic 1player version, with this great engine.
For single-player you can try our version ;)
psychicparrot wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:32 pm This looks great! Proper Pac-Man on the Speccy.. sorry, proper *Spekku-Man* on the Speccy! XD Brilliant!
Thanks!
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Gonna repost this from another topic coz why not, Spekku-man is in display in Saint-Petersburg's Yandex Museum :)

Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Pegaz wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:35 am This is the best Pacman I've seen on the Spectrum yet. :)
Easier said than done - The ghost A.I. routines from Pac-Man are fairly well-known, although I have one less ghost. But navigating back to the Ghost House to respawn is easy if you can signpost the way on a known maze. With random mazes there's no guarantee a simple A.I. could always make it home again... I'm also not sure about how to make the game get harder as it all only runs at one speed! Mind you, that hasn't stopped a whole load of other Speccy versions being bunged out over the years!
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Grongy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:27 pm Gonna repost this from another topic coz why not, Spekku-man is in display in Saint-Petersburg's Yandex Museum :)

It has never ceased to amaze me, having first discovered this fact when I experienced the internet at university, that the Spectrum - an object so quintessentially British to us Brits - was enjoyed and revered just as much by millions of enthusiasts half a world away. Truly that was Uncle Clive's gift :)

So to see Exolon, on a screen in a Russian museum, I think is amazing, it really is.
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

patters wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:44 pm It has never ceased to amaze me, having first discovered this fact when I experienced the internet at university, that the Spectrum - an object so quintessentially British to us Brits - was enjoyed and revered just as much by millions of enthusiasts half a world away. Truly that was Uncle Clive's gift :)

So to see Exolon, on a screen in a Russian museum, I think is amazing, it really is.
Well, Exolon was iconic in post-Soviet countries, and even was ported to obscure Soviet computers like BK-0010-01 and Vector-06c, and ZX orignal is still the best so no wonder why it was exhibitioned here :) Glad you liked it!