What kind of Keyboard do you use?

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Lars_74
Drutt

What kind of Keyboard do you use?

Post by Lars_74 »

Hi,

after playing around with different emulators, editors, development environments etc. I still have a stupid question but for me that issue is really really basic.

"What kind of keyboard do I have to use when emulating a spectrum?"

I simply don't get how my laptop's keys are mapped to, let's say, EightyOne. That emulator has a virtual keyboard but as long as I cannot click on any of that keys it doesn't really help me.

Do I have to buy a spectrum-like keyboard with USB-Port and connect it to my Laptop? Which? Where to buy?
Is there a general reference card showing what PC-Key is mapped to a spectrum?

Lars
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: What kind of Keyboard do you use?

Post by 1024MAK »

I use EightyOne on my laptop and don’t use any kind of external keyboard.
Some of the shift key functions are mapped to the ‘PC’ ‘special function’ keys.

Mind, when using emulation for the Speccy, I normally use the 128 editor rather than using 48K mode.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:34 am when using emulation for the Speccy, I normally use the 128 editor rather than using 48K mode.
Me too. It certainly makes life easier. The other alternative is type the code into a plain text editor and use something like ZMakeBas:

https://derekbolli.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... -zmakebas/

Also, some emulators (for example InkSpec) have an option called keyboard helper where you can type your BASIC out at a prompt and the code including the correct tokens in 48k BASIC) are pasted to the emulator window.
Lars_74
Drutt

Post by Lars_74 »

Thanks for your reply. Still confused :D
Let's say I want to use quotation marks ---> "
On my German keyboard layout that would be SHIFT + 1
EightyOne gives me a virtual keyboard of the 128 and the " is on the left side between the semicolon and the Left Arrow.
How does this map to my PC? :?
Last edited by Lars_74 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi @Lars_74

Code: Select all

CTRL +P
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Okay, using Spectaculator in 48K mode, on a laptop with a U.K. keyboard layout:

1 to 9 and 0 as per normal.
Q to P as per normal.
A to L as per normal.
Z to M as per normal.

The - key produces -
The = key produces =
The ; key produces ;
The ‘ key produces ‘
The , key produces ,
The . key produces .
The / key produces /

The backspace key does as you would expect.

Most of the other keys don’t do anything. Or do something that I can’t remember…

Do note that the left hand shift key is CAPS SHIFT and the right hand shift key is SYMBOL SHIFT.

To get all the other special symbols, keywords etc, you have to imagine that you are using a rubber key Spectrum. Hence to get “ use the right hand shift key (SYMBOL SHIFT) and the P key.

Eightyone is similar, but there may be some minor differences.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Lars_74
Drutt

Post by Lars_74 »

Thanks @all! I will work on it (and most likely) come to back to you :)
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Lars_74 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:47 am Thanks for your reply. Still confused :D
Let's say I want to use quotation marks ---> "
On my German keyboard layout that would be SHIFT + 1
EightyOne gives me a virutal keyboard of the 128 and the " is on the left side between the semicolon and the Left Arrow.#
How does this map to my PC? :?
The Spectrum has 40 keys:

the top row of the Spectrum keyboard (10 keys) maps to the PC keyboard's number keys 1 across to 0 inclusive.
the second row of the Spectrum keyboard maps to the PC keyboard's letter keys Q across to P inclusive.
the third row of the Spectrum keyboard maps to the PC keyboard's letter keys A to L inclusive, plus the Enter key for the Spectrum's ENTER key.
the bottom row of the Spectrum keyboard maps the Spectrum's CAPS SHIFT key to the PC's Shift key, then Z across to M inclusive, then the Spectrum's SYMBOL SHIFT key maps to both the PC's Ctrl and Alt keys (you can use either key on the PC keyboard to get SYMBOL SHIFT), then BREAK/SPACE maps to the PC's spacebar.

That description is for FUSE emulator, I assumed all others are the same but Mark's post suggests otherwise.

[Edit: oh yes, the PC's backspace key is mapped to the Spectrum's CAPS SHIFT+0 which gives you the Spectrum's DELETE]
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:06 pm Hence to get “ use the right hand shift key (SYMBOL SHIFT) and the P key.
Interesting Mark about the way Spectaculator works. Fuse definitely maps Symbol Shift to CTRL.

Edit. Just noticed @dfzx said the same.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Do you mean for playing games or coding ?

For playing games normally the PC keyboard is fine but I get frustrated with certain games where the PC mapped keys are opposite to the Spectrum layout - i.e Jumping Jack

Some emulators give you a keyboard helper option to make things easier when you occasionally need a character and can't remember where it is on the Spectrum keyboard.

Sometimes I take out my Recreated Spectrum - a bluetooth keyboard which is a pretty accurate copy of the 48k Spectrum keyboard and feel.

For coding, I would always use a PC based editor (Basinc for Basic, Zeus for Assembly) so most characters are sensibly mapped, but BasinC also has a keyboard helper for obscure Spectrum characters
Definition of loop : see loop
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

I am not sure if this would help, but just in case:

http://slady.net/Sinclair-ZX-Spectrum-keyboard/
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:17 pm Sometimes I take out my Recreated Spectrum - a bluetooth keyboard which is a pretty accurate copy of the 48k Spectrum keyboard and feel.
Me too! For typing a short BASIC program into a 48K I find the muscle memory I have on the old rubber keys still works more efficiently then trying to work with the PC keyboard.

I have a Recreated Spectrum permanently attached to the PC and added a toolbar button to FUSE to toggle it on/off with a mouse click. :)
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Now, using EightyOne in 48K mode, on a laptop with a U.K. keyboard layout:

On the main keyboard

Q to P as per normal.
A to L as per normal.
Z to M as per normal.

The ` key produces nothing
The - key produces -
The = key produces =
The [ key produces (
The ] key produces )
The # key produces #
The ; key produces ;
The ‘ key produces ‘
The , key produces ,
The . key produces .
The / key produces /

The backspace key does as you would expect. As does the return/enter keys.
The cursor keys work as the same as the ZX Spectrum+ cursor keys with the option that I use, there are other options. Use F7 or see the Options>Keyboard settings on the menu..

Most of the other keys don’t do anything. Or do something that I can’t remember…

Both the shift keys are CAPS SHIFT and the CTRL key (only one on my laptop) is SYMBOL SHIFT. Although this can be changed, use F7 or see the Options>Keyboard settings on the menu.

On the number keypad

0 to 9 as per normal
The . key produces nothing
The / key produces b
The * key produces v
The - key produces -
The + key produces nothing
The ENTER key is the same as pressing return on the main keyboard.

To get all the other special symbols, keywords etc, you have to imagine that you are using a rubber key Spectrum. Hence to get “ use the CTRL key (SYMBOL SHIFT) and the P key.

If you press F1 or select it from the Help menu, the on screen keyboard will be displayed in it's own window. If you double click on it, you can toggle between small and large views.

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are four lights!”
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Expanding on my earlier post...

Okay, using Spectaculator in 48K mode, on a laptop with a U.K. keyboard layout:

On the main keyboard

Q to P as per normal.
A to L as per normal.
Z to M as per normal.

The ` key produces nothing
The - key produces -
The = key produces =
The TAB key produces 0
The [ key produces nothing
The ] key produces nothing
The # key produces nothing
The ; key produces ;
The ‘ key produces ‘
The , key produces ,
The . key produces .
The / key produces /

The backspace key does as you would expect. As does the return key.
The cursor keys work as the same as the ZX Spectrum+ cursor keys.

The CAPS LOCK key does work as the CAPS LOCK key on a ZX Spectrum+ keyboard, but can't cope if you change it's status in another window. Hence if your keyboard has a CAPS LOCK LED, it will not always be correct to what the emulated Speccy is doing.

Do note that the left hand shift key is CAPS SHIFT and the right hand shift key is SYMBOL SHIFT. However, this can be changed. Use CTRL+Y or see the Tools>Options>Keyboard settings on the menu..

To get all the other special symbols, keywords etc, you have to imagine that you are using a rubber key Spectrum. Hence to get “ use the right hand shift key (SYMBOL SHIFT) and the P key.

If you press shift+F1 or select it from the Help menu (Virtual Keyboard), the on screen keyboard will be displayed in it's own window. If you click your mouse on a key, it will "press" that key for you... (including waiting for the next key if you press CAPS SHIFT or SYMBOL SHIFT).

Mark
“There are four lights!”