What does your alias mean?

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Arcachnar
Microbot

What does your alias mean?

Post by Arcachnar »

How did you came up with your alias and what does it mean?

My alias (and no it is not my real name) Arcachnar actually came from a dream that I had when I was young. (Well, originally it was Arachnar without the c, but in the later years, I wrote it like this) And kept on using it.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Re: What does your alias mean?

Post by Nitrowing »

I have a 50bhp nitrous oxide kit fitted to my GL1500 GoldWing
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Pegaz = Pegasus

But, its somewhat related to the Spectrum, as well. ;)
http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/tomcat/y ... Esprit.zip
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Luny was a school nickname given to me, that I misspelt (on purpose) to refer to Lunar Jetman.
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

My nickname used be ‘stupid’ when I first started work. Due to fact that I used to get myself into various stupid situations. I added the ‘get’ to make Stupidget because I was a massive Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer fan in the early 90s and they were forever saying ‘you stupid get’
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

If it's not already obvious to a lot of people, mines a reference to the UK comedy show "The I.T. Crowd". I fell in love with it when Moss was laughing at a PCB, and Jen asked what he was laughing about. His response was something along the lines of "Some joker has only routed the data lines through the power supply" which really made me laugh as I was designing a PCB myself at the time.

If I'm being honest now, I regret the choice.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

My name's Thomas Quillin .. also known as TQ . Quality Management has been a part of my work since the late 80s - there was a quality system back in those days called Total Quality .... also known as TQ. Turtle Quality is just a sillier version of that because using Total Quality as a nickname would sound a bit big headed
Definition of loop : see loop
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

It's a very complex and highly thought out concept which requires a lot of explanation. It's not just my first name with the first letter of my surname because I'm staggeringly unimaginative or something....
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Mine is my original Playstation Network handle (from PS2 days) which was the first time I needed a gamertag of any sort. Navy SOCOM was the game I think.

I couldn't have smurph a corruption of my first initial and surname, so I added boy. I think it had to have numbers at that point but i removed them once Sony worked out how to have usernames and display names. Bless them.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Азъ Есмь Бог (stylized Old Slavonic) - "I Am God". Modestly.
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

I'm nice but dim.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

It might be a surprise to many if you but I am not a lord of fire!

I use this name in spectrum forums because
1)it was not taken ( obviously) and
2) because firelord was the first game that I took notes and try to draw maps with my friends. I never managed to finish it ( in the old)pre emulator days). I think I still keep my nites somewhere in my parents home.
3) It's a cool name for a crap games software label! Much better than ither nanes like OCEAN, IMAGINE and PSION.

Note: After many years I found out that my maps were not that good :)
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

I used to get quite a few high scores on pinball tables in Sheffield in the 90s and someone else was using ROB, so I started using POB.
As that tends to be too short for a lot of forums, I use various "witty" elongations - in this case it's a mashup of Pob and fabulous.
Metalbrain
Microbot

Post by Metalbrain »

I love Metal music and consider my brain to be the best part of me.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

4thRock comes from an early interest in astronomy. Earth is the 3rd rock from the Sun, and Mars is the 4th :D
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

I lived in Worcester for many years and did a bit of coding on the side (boringly, I wrote a nifty treeview widget library for LiveCode). I thought it was a clever play on words, given the famous condiment but a pain to spell out when someone’s taking down my email address!

Steve
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I use the same alias across multiple “old” computer forums. Quite often I found that my actual name had already been taken. Hence I used three letters from my name (this being less likely to have already been used, and more obscure than the correct spelling) and added 1024 at the front because for computing, that’s a special number :P

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:36 am I use the same alias across multiple “old” computer forums. Quite often I found that my actual name had already been taken. Hence I used three letters from my name (this being less likely to have already been used, and more obscure than the correct spelling) and added 1024 at the front because for computing, that’s a special number :P

Mark
Surely you could have used 1024 instead of K ? ... then you would be MAR1024 . Or you could even have replaced M with 1048576 ;

1048576AR1024

Catchy .... you're welcome
Definition of loop : see loop
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

In my case it was a mix of obsessively playing Arkanoid, in addition to attempting to hack it and change things like lives, level data etc. Therefore becoming quite annoyed, thus Arkannoyed.

Pre-emulator days, these things could prove to be most frustrating, as I’m sure we all agree.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:06 am 1048576AR1024
Yeah, ‘cuz that’s so easy to remember! :lol:
Turtle_Quality wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:06 am Catchy .... you're welcome
Why, thank you :shock: :?

Mark

PS on the first forum I joined, the 1024 had a double meaning, not just the number of bytes in a kilobyte.
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

My geography teacher at school called me Inkspot for some reason (I *think* after The Inkspots group from the 40s) and it stuck until it was shorted to Inky during my time at Teque Software. And because I can be fairly lazy, I use the Ink… prefix to name most of my programs. And no, I don’t use Inkspot or Inky with any online account secret questions :D
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

I used to be Bluce Ree on the old Speccy forum which I probably joined like 15 years ago.

No real meaning behind it. I love Bruce Lee, obviously, and I remember hearing about a Chinese fight film actor who called himself Bluce Ree and I thought it was mildly amusing.

EDIT: oh, weirdly I'm banned there (I just tried to log on and it said 'permission denied'). I don't remember going out in a huff or anything. Oh well.
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Mine has the following story: when I was born I was 0 years old :lol: One day, when I was a few weeks old, my grandfather had me in his arms and I started to make sounds: boo boo, boo boo... That's what I said all the time. Whenever someone spoke to me, I responded boo boo. And that's been my nickname ever since: Bubu (pronounced as boo boo in English). To this day, all my friends, acquaintances, family, forums, etc, know me as Bubu.
If something works, don't touch it !!!! at all !!!
drdivago
Dizzy

Post by drdivago »

My nickname was given to me by my first boss in Italy, after he realised that I was extremely able in divagating while talking: I liked it, and it stuck :D
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

blucey wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:22 pm I used to be Bluce Ree on the old Speccy forum which I probably joined like 15 years ago.

No real meaning behind it. I love Bruce Lee, obviously, and I remember hearing about a Chinese fight film actor who called himself Bluce Ree and I thought it was mildly amusing.

EDIT: oh, weirdly I'm banned there (I just tried to log on and it said 'permission denied'). I don't remember going out in a huff or anything. Oh well.
Your profile on there has : Roles Users Awaiting Email Confirmation