Mame for NDS

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Mame for NDS

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I wonder if there's a port of MAME (0.37b5, if possible) for Nintendo DS or NDS XL.
zup
Manic Miner

Re: Mame for NDS

Post by zup »

I have one version that runs on Supercard 2 and it runs well up to 16 bit games. I don't remember if it can run on a "plain" NDS or uses the CPU on the Supercard 2.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:09 pm I wonder if there's a port of MAME (0.37b5, if possible) for Nintendo DS or NDS XL.
Maybe here?!: https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/Mame4All or here: https://github.com/crazii/mame4allds but there´s a note on these pages:
Note: MAME4ALL DsTwo is for Supercard DS Two only.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Thanks for the replies.

So not every card for the NDS works here, isn't it? Mine is R4, IIRC, the one I use with ZXDS and DS games.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

The Supercard Two has some kind of microcontroller or CPU onboard that is (usually) used to emulate the games protection.

Other cards (i.e.: R4) use different means to fake a real cartridge or the CPU is not usable for other things. On Supercard Two, you can use the card resources (CPU and/or RAM onboard) for your programs to make your programs faster.

Supercard Two should run every "normal" homebrew plus their "unique" homebrew. The down side is that those "unique" programs will drain your battery faster (it is running more CPUs).

I don't know if there are other cards that can do the same trick... if so, you should be able to find some special homebrew for them.