MSX2

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

MSX2

Post by Nitrowing »

As not to derail the other thread...
Arcachnar wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:53 pm Oh. Sound good. Thank you. Do you already have any (NTSC) games for the MSX2? (it can play MSX1 and MSX2 games)
The MSX I've bought is purely another trophy but I'll pick up a few cartridges if they're not hideously priced (and lots are!).
This one comes with RCA leads, I've not researched A/V connection yet - I'll be aiming to go HDMI or VGA.
I've found a few sites and am currently investigating them to see what's available to see what software is available, eg TOSEC
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Re: MSX2

Post by Jbizzel »

Did you see the modern msx+2 that someone is making, I posted about it in the zx spectrum on a CPC thread?

I'm really interested in these computers but know nothing about them
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi @Jbizzel,

I couldn't find any more information on that one, but did find this device:

https://www.8bits4ever.net/product-page ... -msx2-fpga
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Excellent. One to keep an eye on.
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

@Nitrowing Yeah. The best way to this is to buy those cartridges or tapes directly from Japan or if lucky from someone local who wants to sell them for a very reasonable price. Perhaps something like 'Market Place' (right name for it?).

Alas, Ebay is not a good place for this. It is just very expensive as f. Some of them goes as high as 100 to 200 dollar if you want it complete. And IF it is cheap then also look if it is a very reliable seller of course.

I really wish it was not like that. Otherwise, I would have bought some MSX games on cartridge and/or tape (after buying a good reliable MSX/MSX2 for a good price) that I find very awesome or just very very interesting. *sigh*

TOSEC? Oh. That is like, you download the games that you want to play, put it on tape and play it on the MSX, right? I know. I am just a bit old fashioned. So I never tried it on my zx spectrum and/or my Commodore.

VGA or HDMI? https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/hard ... signal-how

PS: sorry if I derailled the thread. (Or trying to)
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Thankd, I hadn't dug that deep into the display options yet...

There's a few MSX sites offering software;

http://msxdev.msxblue.com/?page_id=578
http://msx.altervista.org/

I've put an order in for Hyper Sports 2 with a reputable MSXer so I'll be able to test the computer when it arrives :D
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Japanese (NTSC) or European version (PAL) of Hyper Sports? Just in case you wonder if possible: https://www.msx.org/wiki/Can_I_use_PAL_ ... e_versa%3F

As far I can remember is that when you play European games, lowercase letters will appear as garbled Japanese on a machine with a Japanese character set. But I am not sure. (Yeah. Memory goes first, ah?) Can someone vertify this?

You probably know this already, but I just want to be like "Better safe than sorry"; the MSX2 FS-A1 is 100v. and needs a transformer. 100 volt --->220 volt.
merman
Microbot

Post by merman »

Speccy fans will be interested in one of the latest entries to MSXDEV22, the coding competition - a conversion of Automania.

www.msxdev.org
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

That is the right adapter. You probably know this (or already have it) but if you still need a transformer because of the voltage difference (100 volt in Japan and 220/30 in Europe), something like this come in handy:

https://airlinktransformers.com/categor ... converters

Mine:

I know it is a bit big with two slots, but it just in case if I come in possession of Japanese computer(s) and/or extra's (external drive, etc) that needs more power and all. The adapter that you see is for the AV Famicom.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

I was think more along the lines of splicing the cable and feeding 9VDC and 18VAC (from this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264822133556 )
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Found this in my collection...

Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Okay. Sorry to take that long to answer it.

1) How are things going with the MSX2? Does it work?

2) Could you please explain this to me what you are trying to do with the splicing the cables? (got a bit of a off day, sorry) Are you sure that would give the right voltage and all? Is it safe?

If you look at the MSX2 it is:

IN: AC 100V - 50/60Hz

23VA OUT: DC 9V 1.2A AC 18V 170mA Pinout: _o_ ->DC9V o_o ->AC18V -->ground

Usually, if you are using 100 volt in countries that use 220 volt will fry the machine in no time.

3) how does the European (Spanish) game look on the Japanese MSX2? No garbled letters and such? If you know what I mean.

4) Still going for the HDMI or VGA or (in the meantime) using an old tv that has the option to use composite? Luckily, the MSX2 is 50/60hz. Or do you have a television that can do both 50Hz and 60Hz?
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

It arrived the day before yesterday :)

I've done nothing with it but ordered a step-down to give it 100Vac - the idea of splicing was to give it the bizarre low voltage AC it runs on but the step-down was only £25 and power supplies for the MSX are too expensive for me to start cutting cables...

No idea how I'm going to connect it to a display - I'll see what the TV and AV receiver will accept.

I've picked up a couple of game cassettes, I've found a decent emulator that runs well on my phone and tried learning bits and bobs about RAM upgrades, firmware updates but, essentially, it's just another trophy :lol:
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Well if you still want to play games you can connect it to a TV with a RGB output, RF output or Analog sound & Composite video. Not sure about the RF in Europe, because it CAN be possible (just like with some other computers like the original famicom) that it have problems with the 60Hz and Japanese channels and such. If you know what I mean.

PS: Which game cassettes did you picked up?
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

The Denon accepts "video conversion compatible with the following formats: NTSC, PAL, SECAM, NTSC4.43, PAL-N, PAL-M and PAL-60" along with composite etc

Finders Keepers and Space Walk - £5 for the pair :D
Cartridges can go from £20 to £1000 :shock:
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Sorry for answering so late, but yes. IF it can do NTSC AND 60hz then composite will certainly work. The same with my TV that can do both 50/60hz and NTSC/PAL. As example: the AV Famicom:

Not sure if your (OR even mine) TV supports NTSC through the coaxial input (RF), but its worth to try and look if it give any problems with the 60hz/50hz/NTSC/PAL part when turning on the Japanese MSX2 and play some European or Japanese games. If you know what I mean.

Well....only IF a RF cable is included though. Otherwise composite would probably the best choice and it MAY (or not) look so much better.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

I was always (and still am to some extent) confused by the variety of MSX models (manufacturers?) then we throw the MSX2 into the mix along with the plus. :)
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

spider wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:27 am I was always (and still am to some extent) confused by the variety of MSX models (manufacturers?) then we throw the MSX2 into the mix along with the plus. :)
Really they are only four models, MSX, MSX2, MSX2+ (this is almost the same as the MSX2) and MSXturboR (16 bits) and the last two models were (mainly) only know in Japan. In Spain the two first models were more or less popular.
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Yes. There is waaay too many choose from. You have manufactures like: Panasonic, Philips, Sanyo, Sony, National, etc. Oh man. You want a model for the MSX2+? Well...you can choose from: (Panasonic) FS-A1FX (doesn't support MSX-MUSIC (FM Music)), FS-A1WX, and the FS-A1WSX. Or do you want the Sanyo Wavy PHC-70FD, Sanyo WAVY PHC-70FD2, Sanyo PHC-35J (like the FS-A1FX it doesn't include a disk drive and one of two MSX2+ machines that lacks a built-in MSX-MUSIC) or perhaps the Sony HB-F1XDJ? The same with the MSX1 and MSX2 or the MSX TurboR.