Animated Atari 2600 inlay

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Animated Atari 2600 inlay

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Found on Reddit:

Do you imagine something similar in Spectrum inlays?
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: Animated Atari 2600 inlay

Post by Joefish »

I was expecting to see a lenticular tilt-view animation stuck on the boxes!
The SPLAT! cassette inlay was printed on some reflective foil with a shiny swirly pattern on it; I hesitate to describe it as 'holographic' although it was probably described as such at the time.

I'd love to see if someone could take the realistic art of River Raid and create a 3D looping animation of blowing up an endless sequence of bridges.

Activision's covers of Atari 2600 games with their broad rainbow trails would be neat to see as flowing animations.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

That animation was almost certainly composed in Adobe After Effects. I reckon the original inlay was 'disassembled' in Photoshop, then you throw the parts into the After Effects timeline and move things about on a 'ping pong' loop.

There are absolutely loads of those Mastertronic cartoon artwork inlays that this technique would look great for.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

This is really nice, reminds me of those pseudo animated classic album covers you get on Apple Music. Somebody do it to jet set Willy with the head moving down the toilet!!!
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »