ZXSR - magazine reviews

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

equinox
Dynamite Dan

ZXSR - magazine reviews

Post by equinox »

ZXSR is a collection of online Speccy reviews. It even has an API!
http://www.zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
But there is no way to contact the person who owns or manages this API.

Sometimes I find a mistake in a magazine review, and I have to bother our Peter, who (I suppose) knows who runs ZXSR and passes on the message. Which is probably a waste of his valuable time. There is no way for me to contact a ZXSR person directly, with my correction.

A pure observation. I would like to hear people's thoughts. (Bearing in mind the "truck factor" -- if someone dies, who takes over? We unfortunately had this with the RZX Archive. I guess all Speccy fans are old and we should have at least two people maintaining archives.)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: ZXSR - magazine reviews

Post by PeterJ »

@equinox,

You post them here:

viewtopic.php?t=3328

The last one you sent me via email is here:

viewtopic.php?p=99111#p99111

Regarding the other point you raise, last year I shared all the login details for the administration of the SC to @R-Tape. Dave has checked that he can login successfully to everything.

Peter
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:00 am @equinox,

You post them here:

viewtopic.php?t=3328
Thanks. Can we put that link on the ZXSR site?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@Vampyre,

Is this possible?
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

equinox wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:14 am ZXSR is a collection of online Speccy reviews. It even has an API!
http://www.zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
But there is no way to contact the person who owns or manages this API.

Sometimes I find a mistake in a magazine review, and I have to bother our Peter, who (I suppose) knows who runs ZXSR and passes on the message. Which is probably a waste of his valuable time. There is no way for me to contact a ZXSR person directly, with my correction.

A pure observation. I would like to hear people's thoughts. (Bearing in mind the "truck factor" -- if someone dies, who takes over? We unfortunately had this with the RZX Archive. I guess all Speccy fans are old and we should have at least two people maintaining archives.)
Well I'd like to think I'm not going to pop my clogs just yet... :lol: In fairness, that scenario is why I released the database publicly to Einar to add into ZXDB. I've added the forum link onto ZXSR's home page so please use to leave any corrections. The corrections will be made as soon as I possibly can but it may be some time before you see them in the wild (on SC basically). I'm coming to the end of a long-haul update which will have fixed many things and a long-overdue refresh of Crash's reviews. After that I should be releasing versions more often.

As for there being no contact email on the site - the reason is that I made that mistake once before. Firstly I received a crap-ton of junk and secondly a few people on the scene took this as the flag to bombard me with relevant and irrelevant things. Not to mention some entitled pricks making demands. I'd rather not deal with any of that nonsense again.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Fair enough, thanks for the good answer :)

(Ideally might be nice to have some contact form etc. that says "we promise to look at your message but we don't guarantee we will do anything about it"... I was just baffled by the total lack of contact point. For example if somebody finds a security vulnerability and needs to report it.)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

equinox wrote: For example if somebody finds a security vulnerability and needs to report it.)
As mentioned previously, if you find a security issue with any aspect linked to the website you email us via the email address you normally use.

Corrections and the like are via the forum please.

We will add this onto the FAQ.

Thanks