Preservation Tools - Submissions Feedback/Q/A

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Preservation Tools - Submissions Feedback/Q/A

Post by druellan »

This thread is dedicated to questions and feedback about the submissions on the Preservation Tools, from both users that might have doubts or might require some clarification on how to use the tool; but also from the preservation team, in case they find a contribution that is not correct or in need of further discussion.

The Preservation Tools are several online forms, which you can use for adding new entries or modifying existing ones. You can:

— Add a new (MIA) title/entry (SW, HW, book)
— Add new files for existing title/entry
— Add original publishers/authors for existing title/entry
— Add a new re-releaser for existing title/entry
— Make changes for existing title/entry
— Make changes for uploaded files
— Make changes for existing publisher/author
— Make changes for releases
— Make changes for magazine references

Let's try it!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Re: Preservation Tools - Submissions Feedback/Q/A

Post by druellan »

Hi @Oloturia I see a couple of entries on the preservation tool about Avventura in Spectralia [#ID: 27836] and Clive ad Hollywood [#ID: 26276] I see you added them as compilations of each other:

Compilation title #1: Avventura in Spectralia [#ID: 27836] * Is original: no
Compilation title #1: Clive ad Hollywood [#ID: 26276] * Is original: no

That means both games were published in a single tape or together in some media?
Thanks!
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

"Avventura in Spectralia" and "Clive ad Hollywood" were published on the same magazine "Load'n'Run", on number 16 and 19.
I thought they were a compilation because on the title screen of "Clive ad Hollywood" there is a subtitle: "IL GRANDE SEGUITO DI SPECTRALIA" that means "the great sequel of Spectralia". The character is named Clive in both games.

But I think maybe I misunderstood the "compilation" field. What I wanted to do is to add them as series.
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Oloturia wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:47 pm "Avventura in Spectralia" and "Clive ad Hollywood" were published on the same magazine "Load'n'Run", on number 16 and 19.
I thought they were a compilation because on the title screen of "Clive ad Hollywood" there is a subtitle: "IL GRANDE SEGUITO DI SPECTRALIA" that means "the great sequel of Spectralia". The character is named Clive in both games.

But I think maybe I misunderstood the "compilation" field. What I wanted to do is to add them as series.
Oh! Got it. Yeah, compilations is for titles released as a single product, for example, the "Load'n'Run" magazine itself is a compilation, because it was sold with all the titles inside.

For series we use a group type "series", but even when it is easy to create a new group Preservation Tools, you need to wait for the fix to be published to be able to add more titles to the new group (aaaaand, we have a long backlog of changes). But you can create the group and specify the other titles on the comments, so we can take care at the moment of the review.

BTW, the correct order should be?
1. Avventura in Spectralia
2. Clive ad Hollywood

Thanks!!
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Ah, now it's more clear!

Yes, 1 is Spectralia and 2 Clive ad Hollywood.
✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Paperboy

Unable to submit a new change for this as it is locked with the message: "This title/entry is modifying by @Audionautas. You can't publish SQL code now!"
which is for change id #002620, 3603_change_sql.txt:
* Release date added. September 29th 1986. Sources. There are several different adverts for Paperboy, in most cases advertised along with 1942. There is one two-page advert published on Crash and other magazines including both games that claims they were going to be released on September 15th 1986. However, there is a later one announcing September 29th 1986 as the release date for both games (https://archive.org/details/ComputerAnd ... ew=theater). Are they referring to 1942 only or Paperboy too? If it's a two-page advert I think they refer to both.
The 29th September date shown on the later adverts is only for 1942. Paperboy goes straight to no 1 in the weekly charts in Popular Computing Weekly published 2nd October 1986, making a release date of the 29th impossible. Commodore User later confirms that it got to no 1 purely on sales of the Spectrum version.

1942 enters the charts published in PCW on 23rd October, which fits with it being released a couple of weeks after Paperboy.
✓ Reviewed
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

How best to go about adding a link to a youtube video for an existing entry?
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

StooB wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:04 pm Paperboy

Unable to submit a new change for this as it is locked with the message: "This title/entry is modifying by @Audionautas. You can't publish SQL code now!"
which is for change id #002620, 3603_change_sql.txt:
Sorry for that, @StooB I've modifed my entry by removing the date for Paperboy, so now it only reads 9/1986. Please, feel free to contact me by PM if you find more inaccuracies on the entries that I've been editing on the last few months.

Thank you!

Best regards
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

p13z wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:47 pm How best to go about adding a link to a youtube video for an existing entry?
Try using the "Small changes for existing ZXDB title/entry" and the "Related external link" I think there is a category for Youtube videos.

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

There is a comment by @Neil Parsons about the Lenguaje_Maquina-Spectrum #03 covertape (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... ectrum_#03)

"On TZX, games' texts are translated into Italian"

And this is confirmed, both TZX seems to be related to the Italian version of the Lenguaje Máquina magazine, called Linguaggio Macchina (https://www.edicola8bit.com/giochi.php? ... china&id=1) and those publications seems to be missing from the ZXDB? At least couldn't find them under that name.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

About the title on Lenguaje Maquina - Spectrum #04 https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... ectrum_#04
We still do not have a match for those games on the ZXDB, but can be original ones, this is what I've found:

"Las Llaves" is by Gentili Gianpaolo it is originally called BONZO and published in Load'n'Run Mix. I don't see it on the ZXDB.

"La Araña" is called Ragni by Limongi Mario, published by Load'n'Run. Seems to be missing on the ZXDB.

"La Gruta Sorpresa" is called "Le Grotte di Altair" by L. Ligotti and L. Nardi, published by Load'n'Run. Seems to be missing on the ZXDB.

"El Parque" by A&E Tosi seems to be this one, published by Load 'n' Run https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... m/The_Park

Didn't check if those titles are also unofficial translated versions from other original.
All titles seems to be pushed in the Load'n'Run Mix compilation, preserved in TOSEC.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi @Arcachnar I checking your report about Kasper Boon / Albert Sickler I've found we have several Kasper Boon that are probably the same person (K.L. Boon & Kasper Lodewjik Boon). I'm in the process of sorting this, but to make sure I understand the report:

Is "Albert Sickler" an alias of "Kasper Boon" (meaning, Kasper Boon is the real name of the author) or the other way around?

Thanks!
✓ Reviewed
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Kasper Boon is his real name and Albert Sickler is his alias.

Proving that he is Kasper L. Boon as well;

✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Arcachnar wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:49 pm Kasper Boon is his real name and Albert Sickler is his alias.
Proving that he is Kasper L. Boon as well;
👌 Thanks!
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

druellan wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:24 pm About the title on Lenguaje Maquina - Spectrum #04 https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... ectrum_#04
We still do not have a match for those games on the ZXDB, but can be original ones, this is what I've found:

"Las Llaves" is by Gentili Gianpaolo it is originally called BONZO and published in Load'n'Run Mix. I don't see it on the ZXDB.

"La Araña" is called Ragni by Limongi Mario, published by Load'n'Run. Seems to be missing on the ZXDB.

"La Gruta Sorpresa" is called "Le Grotte di Altair" by L. Ligotti and L. Nardi, published by Load'n'Run. Seems to be missing on the ZXDB.

"El Parque" by A&E Tosi seems to be this one, published by Load 'n' Run https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... m/The_Park

Didn't check if those titles are also unofficial translated versions from other original.
All titles seems to be pushed in the Load'n'Run Mix compilation, preserved in TOSEC.
"Lucas" is "Nibbler", an unofficial conversion of the arcade. It seems to be an original title from LnR Mix.
I'm (slowly) adding the rest of the Mix issue in the next few weeks.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi @Andre Leao I need more information about the report #002868 about https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... id=4000146 Your recommendation is to remove the entry, but it has a lot of related information, including inlays, cassette photos, and four TZXs.
Is there a duplicate or you plan to create a new one? Thanks!
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Hum... Cannot remember, to be honest. Anyway, the 2068 inlays does not belong to this entry, you must delete those elements.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Perhaps I meant to delete this one, as it does not exists: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... /Semo_Tape

SEMO TAPE [#ID: 4000232]
✓ Reviewed
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Androide, like all the other portuguese Timex entries, must have a separate ID, to be coherente: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... x/Androids

On this entry, the name must be fixed to Arquivo do Coleccionador:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... eccionador
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi @lfaria . I'm processing your report #2887 https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... ge_sql.txt

I can see the titles already added to the compilation https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=38626 so, it is already fixed or there is something to change? Thanks!

Compilation title #1: Full Throttle [#ID: 1908] * Is original: no
Compilation title #2: Chuckie Egg [#ID: 958] * Is original: no
Compilation title #3: Deathchase [#ID: 1303] * Is original: no
Compilation title #4: Glug Glug [#ID: 2062] * Is original: no
Compilation title #5: Pheenix [#ID: 3690] * Is original: no
Compilation title #6: Match Point [#ID: 3074] * Is original: no
Compilation title #7: 1º Campeonato de Jogos de Computador [#ID: 38626] * Is original: no
Legend: original/unchanged value * new added value * changed value

Code: Select all

-- add small changes for '1º Campeonato de Jogos de Computador (TMX Portugal Ltda (Portugal))(1984)' [ID: 38626]
INSERT INTO contents (container_id, entry_id, label_id, prog_seq, is_original, contenttype_id) VALUES (38626, 1908, NULL, 1, 0, '-');
INSERT INTO contents (container_id, entry_id, label_id, prog_seq, is_original, contenttype_id) VALUES (38626, 958, NULL, 2, 0, '-');
INSERT INTO contents (container_id, entry_id, label_id, prog_seq, is_original, contenttype_id) VALUES (38626, 1303, NULL, 3, 0, '-');
INSERT INTO contents (container_id, entry_id, label_id, prog_seq, is_original, contenttype_id) VALUES (38626, 2062, NULL, 4, 0, '-');
INSERT INTO contents (container_id, entry_id, label_id, prog_seq, is_original, contenttype_id) VALUES (38626, 3690, NULL, 5, 0, '-');
INSERT INTO contents (container_id, entry_id, label_id, prog_seq, is_original, contenttype_id) VALUES (38626, 3074, NULL, 6, 0, '-');
INSERT INTO contents (container_id, entry_id, label_id, prog_seq, is_original, contenttype_id) VALUES (38626, 38626, NULL, 7, 0, '-');
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Andre Leao wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:37 pm Androide, like all the other portuguese Timex entries, must have a separate ID, to be coherente: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... x/Androids
About this subject, please read these 2 posts:

viewtopic.php?p=102595#p102595

viewtopic.php?p=103345#p103345
lfaria
Dizzy

Post by lfaria »

druellan wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:04 am Hi @lfaria . I'm processing your report #2887 https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... ge_sql.txt

I can see the titles already added to the compilation https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=38626 so, it is already fixed or there is something to change? Thanks!

Compilation title #1: Full Throttle [#ID: 1908] * Is original: no
Compilation title #2: Chuckie Egg [#ID: 958] * Is original: no
Compilation title #3: Deathchase [#ID: 1303] * Is original: no
Compilation title #4: Glug Glug [#ID: 2062] * Is original: no
Compilation title #5: Pheenix [#ID: 3690] * Is original: no
Compilation title #6: Match Point [#ID: 3074] * Is original: no
Compilation title #7: 1º Campeonato de Jogos de Computador [#ID: 38626] * Is original: no
Hi! What was I thinking in the middle of October? Hmmmm. :oops: The titles look OK.
There are only 6 titles in the tape, the 7th is the compilation name.

But this entry needs some updates:

The tape/side/# in the "Contents" section is missing some info: it's a single tape so all entries should have 1 here, the 1st 3 titles are on side 1 and the remaining 3 on side 2, so it should be: 1/1/1, 1/1/2, 1/1/3, 1/2/4, 1/2/5 and 1/2/6

The loading screen of the 4th title is missing, and it really is just a black screen, but the next files should be renamed:
0038626-load-4.scr -> 0038626-load-5.scr
0038626-load-5.scr -> 0038626-load-6.scr

This 4th TZX has severe problems, not sure if coming from the original or during the preservation, just watch the menu "Glug-Glu(g)" being drawn to see what I mean (if you wait a long time it gets a lot messier).

In the "Main File Downloads", the order it shows up and the filenames are also misleading:
1CampeonatoDeJogosDeComputador.tzx.zip is the 2nd game but shows up first,
1CampeonatoDeJogosDeComputador_1.tzx.zip is the 1st game but shows up in 2nd place
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi @Alessandro quick question. Has Jackson Soft (Italy) re-released a title outside the covertape of "Magazine Jackson Soft Oro Spectrum"? Because if that is the case, there is no need of having it as "re-release" on titles like Pyjamarama, since it is already mentioned as a covertape publisher.
Thanks!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

druellan wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:47 pm Hi @Alessandro quick question. Has Jackson Soft (Italy) re-released a title outside the covertape of "Magazine Jackson Soft Oro Spectrum"? Because if that is the case, there is no need of having it as "re-release" on titles like Pyjamarama, since it is already mentioned as a covertape publisher.
Thanks!
Hola, sorry for the late reply.

The Jackson Soft Oro series included titles officially imported in Italy for the Spectrum and Commodore 64. These were those listed in the archive. It is true that there are other titles released by Jackson Soft, the software branch of Gruppo Editoriale Jackson, for instance the Video BASIC course tapes, or those added to Super Sinc magazine. Only Pyjamarama and Automania were translated into Italian.

Also, some Spectrum titles of the Jackson Soft Oro series were added as bonus games at the end of Side B of three Video BASIC tapes: Brian Bloodaxe in issue 16, Pyjamarama in issue 17 and Automania in issue 19.

So there were three "re-releases" of as many titles already published in the Jackson Soft Oro series, albeit as bonus games, rather than on their own.

Hope that helps!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Alessandro wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:00 pm So there were three "re-releases" of as many titles already published in the Jackson Soft Oro series, albeit as bonus games, rather than on their own.
Thanks Alessandro. Perfect, so, I'm going to review those entries to make sure we have consistency on the information, since we are only listing publishers that released the titles individually, since compilations should be linked to the entry (which you did, thanks!) and they already have all the information about the publisher.