Chesskelet revamped - 269 bytes

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
reeagbo
Dizzy

Chesskelet revamped - 269 bytes

Post by reeagbo »

Hi folks,

It's been a long time. If any of you remembers Chesskelet, I've just released a new version of the tiny chess game. It's much smaller then 2019 version, from 350 bytes down to 269 bytes now.

If you are curious about the details have a look at http://chesskelet.com. Code, snapshots, etc... can be found online

Cheers!
Alex
Chris23235
Microbot

Re: Chesskelet revamp - 269 bytes

Post by Chris23235 »

Wow! That's really short, I always thought the VCS Chess was the tiniest you can get. But this is only a fraction of the VCS cartridge.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Re: Chesskelet revamped - 269 bytes

Post by arkannoyed »

Oh my word Alex! I thought the project had gone very quiet. We talked before lockdown. Then life happened in between. Amazing achievement. I’m reading through the asm with great interest!!
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

So a full 3d chess game, within 1k then. Eh? Guys? Amiright?
CLEAR 23855
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

3D Chess 2k19 got down to 497 bytes as a pure display engine alone. I made good progress in logic to the point that it checked legal moves etc, but there was no code to play moves on behalf of the computer. I think it grew to about 700 bytes approx. I will pick it up again when time allows though…promise!!!
reeagbo
Dizzy

Post by reeagbo »

arkannoyed wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:11 pm Oh my word Alex! I thought the project had gone very quiet. We talked before lockdown. Then life happened in between. Amazing achievement. I’m reading through the asm with great interest!!
Hi man. Long time no see.
Actually, it's been in freezer for some time, but I just found some time to work on it.
You may find interesting info under http://chesskelet.epizy.com/dissection.html. I updated the whole dissection.

I also remember the board creation topic we talked about. I have a way to create the board with just 32 bytes. I´ll soon integrate it in my code. It's one shot creation though, it does not allow replay.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

32 bytes sounds fun! The board Data layout I’m using takes I think 36 bytes, though I’ll have to check, as it’s been a while.
reeagbo
Dizzy

Post by reeagbo »

I played a game ChesSkelet vs. Psion Chess and posted it in YouTube. It's so funny...

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Really really amazing, 269 bytes... some posts in this forum are bigger that that... :shock:
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

I'm still interested too. Interested in a working playable game but love just the tiny code for the 3d board engine too. Keep going :)
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

Where can I find the latest version? The website doesn't work.
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Alone Coder wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:32 pm Where can I find the latest version? The website doesn't work.
The site can be found at
http://borialabs.free.nf/chesskelet/?i=1
flange
Drutt

Post by flange »

A full FIDE chess, that can even play itself,for the 1k ZX81 and ZX80 has been available for over 7 years now but never seems to be mentioned as opposed to the dreadful 80's effort. Whilst not for the spectrum the code may be adaptable and perhaps of interest to developers.

The ZX81 version can be found here...

https://smmax.sourceforge.net/
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

andydansby wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:01 pm The site can be found at
I don't see the tiny version (269 bytes) here.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

andydansby wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:01 pm The site can be found at
3 of 5 links (including source and snapshots) are 404
rothers
Drutt

Post by rothers »

I love stuff like this, when I was a teenager I applied for a job programming Gameboy colour/advance games and was asked to make a bomber man game in under 500 bytes. I managed it and still didn't get the job because I didn't include the Nintendo logo, so the game didn't run on real hardware - but including it added something like 200 bytes...

Still I love these challenges and ways of thinking outside the box with code.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

With all that free space you could implement a decent minimax algorithm. It would be difficult to implement in assembly of course
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

BRAINIAC is a recursive Minimax algorithm with alpha-beta pruning, implemented in Assembly optimized for Z80 registers allocation, using heuristic evaluation and arbitrary recursion depth, multi-tasked in background.

It's currently used in COMPLICA DX, Hex and Hex 2. You can get the source code from any of them.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

I wrote the author on YouTube (where he had only 2 subscribers), but he didn't respond.
It seems the world record holding program is lost forever. It was not archived anywhere.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

We corresponded before Covid was a thing regarding its development as I was still further developing 3D Chess.
I’ll see if I can find an email for him.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

arkannoyed wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:54 pm as I WAS still further developing 3D Chess
Does this mean you aren't any more?
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Well, on and off. I have a simple gui and move legality checking plus sone other logic implemented. There is currently no method of playing a computer opponent though. Still all under 800 bytes I think.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Well i know very little about the programming aspects, but it was very interesting to follow. Hope you do more.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

The core display code did get down to 495 bytes. I should upload the updated source sometime
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Post by Dr beep »

rothers wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:40 pm I love stuff like this, when I was a teenager I applied for a job programming Gameboy colour/advance games and was asked to make a bomber man game in under 500 bytes. I managed it and still didn't get the job because I didn't include the Nintendo logo, so the game didn't run on real hardware - but including it added something like 200 bytes...

Still I love these challenges and ways of thinking outside the box with code.
There is a 256 bytes game challenge in februari at demozoo
https://demozoo.org/parties/4760/

Entered last year with a 249 bytes formula 1 pitsstop game but a simple c64 game won.