Nice interview with the author of The Hobbit in The Guardian

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Nice interview with the author of The Hobbit in The Guardian

Post by bluespikey »

Just that.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2022/ ... t-turns-40

Probably been covered many time in Retrogamer, but I was surprised that she only got the idea of using graphics after going away and writing Penetrator.
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Re: Nice interview with the author of The Hobbit in The Guardian

Post by jdanddiet »

yes, that surprised me too! I'm glad it has gone down well
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

Great article, jd - nice one! I just read it this morning as it's currently on Firefox's "Recommended by Pocket" whenever I open a new tab so I'm guessing it'll get a load more people reading it over the next few days! :)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

The Hobbit has its flaws but I still find it incredible that a game engine like that could appear as early as 1982, so early in the Speccy's commercial life.

Also I reckon it was an inspired decision to leave the level editor in Penetrator for the player to create their own landscapes. Again, not exactly the sort of thing other games were doing at the time.

I would've loved to see an alternate reality where Veronika continued to program games instead of going on to further academic pursuits and a 'proper job'.. ;)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com