Which game would you rewrite?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
luny
Manic Miner

Which game would you rewrite?

Post by luny »

After our conversation about which crap games people still like and play, Sorcery came up.
This is a classic 'terrible' game that had potential and was spotted by the gang of five and vastly improved on the Amstrad. From here it became popular and converted to many formats included back to the spectrum as Sorcery+.

My question is, which crap game do you see having potential for improving.
Following Sorcery which pretty much kept the game design, but improved on graphics, movement etc, are there any other games that could have the same update / rewrite?
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Which game would you rewrite?

Post by Morkin »

Knightmare.

Not really a 'crap' game as it didn't get panned (and SU gave it 10/10, not quite sure how that works). But I was fairly disappointed with it.

I was a fan of the Knightmare TV show and would've liked to see the game follow the same format, which was more based around instructions, puzzles, choices of object to carry and making decisions in a turn-based way, but with some timing elements.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Renegade III

I was going to say that I'm not much of a coder, 99% of my stuff stayed in the confines of BASIC and I only tinkered around the very edges of machine code. But you know what, if I was given three months with my current coding skills, I think my output - which would be terrible - would be better than what was served up, well, by a smidgin.

If I could code/hack, then the simple task would be getting the Renegade or Target Renegade (preferably the latter) game engine and putting the time travel plot (yes, awful, but by no means the worst thing about the actual game) in there. Still the weakest of the trilogy, but a more dignified way to go out.

Chaos

Ha ha, Chaos is by no means poor, it's my favourite game of all time, on any platform. But I'd like to have it so the wizard and sprites of player 1 is in red; player 2 is magenta, player 3 is green, etc, etc. And some AY sound effects/music for us on 128K, that'd be another welcome improvement.

Double Dragon

Well, anything that halfway resembled the arcade game would be an improvement on what we got.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Turrican 2, not a bad game, but I think I would have liked more of the awesome use of the color of the first game, maybe with small differences in sprites and maps and reusing all the other parts of the game engine, that should have been Turrican 2.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

What if Eugene from Manic Miner was a sexy lady? Eh? Just imagine it.

Trap me Eugenia!

*faints*
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

More seriously though, I think I've found my skill level in translating slow, clumsy BASIC games into fast, clumsy ASM games.

I'm confident that if I ever finish it, my version of It's Only Rock and Roll will be better than the original. ( But not as good as the Biz ).
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Black Tiger. The game is not so bad but it could be much better.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:50 pm Chaos

Ha ha, Chaos is by no means poor, it's my favourite game of all time, on any platform. But I'd like to have it so the wizard and sprites of player 1 is in red; player 2 is magenta, player 3 is green, etc, etc.
Sounds logical until you find yourself facing a red gold dragon, a yellow green dragon and a green red dragon. I could go on...

;)

Definitely still waiting for someone to re-do Renegade 3 though...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Morkin wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38 pm you find yourself facing a red gold dragon, a yellow green dragon and a green red dragon.
Speaking of dragons... I had undead gold dragon once. The panic in the eyes of my friends... priceless.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Morkin wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38 pm Definitely still waiting for someone to re-do Renegade 3 though...
I'm not sure what one expect from a dinosaurs or a caveman. Definitely not a perfect ushiro geri. IMHO the setting itself ruins the game.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

catmeows wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:45 pm Speaking of dragons... I had undead gold dragon once. The panic in the eyes of my friends... priceless.
An undead one isn't too bad. An actual real one was terrifying.
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

Golden Axe: with graphics like Barbarian.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

It'd have to be 2 games for me:

H.E.R.O.

Berzerk
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

I really like those shots. I presume they are your own work?
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Thanks! Why yes. Yes they are!

Oh, I’d also like to redo Atic Atic…with an isometric viewpoint.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Morkin wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38 pm Sounds logical until you find yourself facing a red gold dragon, a yellow green dragon and a green red dragon. I could go on...
;)
Well, those dragons shouldn't be called that. Should be Tame Dragon, Rough Dragon and um, Mecha Dragon. Something non hue-based, anyway, reflecting their strengths.
Morkin wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38 pmDefinitely still waiting for someone to re-do Renegade 3 though...
Or even come up with Renegade 4, which as I've previously summarised, should be another time travel game, but with Renegade in Manchester going back to the time Renegade III is being coded, to duff up the Renegade III programmers and everyone else involved in it.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
SpeccyKev
Dizzy

Post by SpeccyKev »

Kung Fu Master- Im sure the Speccy has the power to a decent version.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

catmeows wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:49 pm I'm not sure what one expect from a dinosaurs or a caveman. Definitely not a perfect ushiro geri. IMHO the setting itself ruins the game.
Technically, cavemen and dinosaurs never met - they were separated by millions of years. Don't let all that Flintstones propaganda trick you!

I think having a fight with our prehistoric ancestors would be commendable, as those Homo Habilis guys look proper hench. I wouldn't spill their pints.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

SpeccyKev wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:00 pm Kung Fu Master- Im sure the Speccy has the power to a decent version.
Well, here you go! I genuinely prefer it to the proper arcade version!
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

redballoon wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:59 am
H.E.R.O.
I see some familar tiles in there ;) :lol:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
SpeccyKev
Dizzy

Post by SpeccyKev »

PeteProdge wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:18 pm Well, here you go! I genuinely prefer it to the proper arcade version!
YEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Lunar Jetman. If they'd done it so that you only used the jetpac fuel when carrying the bomb it would have made it a more interesting game. It's just constant hiding in the lunar module and avoiding aliens on the ground rather than blasting them out of the way. It's equally hard and dull.

Super Sprint. It's an okay version but I think a better programmer could have made it smoother and faster - more like the arcade game. It just needs to be a bit more hectic. It's annoying because it's so close to being a really good game. I'd love to have seen what Joffa could have done with it.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

PeteProdge wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:56 am Well, those dragons shouldn't be called that. Should be Tame Dragon, Rough Dragon and um, Mecha Dragon. Something non hue-based, anyway, reflecting their strengths.

Or even come up with Renegade 4, which as I've previously summarised, should be another time travel game, but with Renegade in Manchester going back to the time Renegade III is being coded, to duff up the Renegade III programmers and everyone else involved in it.
Game idea pitch....

What about an alternative universe where Renegade 3 was actually a really good game for the spectrum, making the developers rich and famous, but in 2054 a team of scientists discover that via the butterfly effect, it being a great game set about a cataclysmic event that ends the world. The scientists assemble the team of original coders who go back in time to intercept their younger selfes and purposely make the game terrible and ruin their own careers for the salvation of mankind.

The game could be a text adventure called.... Idk....

Renegade Cataclysm 2054