The YouTube 50fps/60fps 'hack' needs your attention

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The YouTube 50fps/60fps 'hack' needs your attention

Post by PeteProdge »

(Apologies for the usage of 'hack', I know it's very over-used in clickbait headlines and is rarely appropriate.)

This warning applies to YouTube creators dealing with footage from ZX Spectrum and any other 8-bit machine, and almost certainly all 16-bits, 32-bits and well, practically everything up to and including the PlayStation 2/Original XBox/Sega Dreamcast/Nintendo Gamecube generation. (You could have just said 'standard definition' devices - Ed.)

Those of you who know YouTube a little better than most, will know that it will only show action above 30fps if it's been supplied in high definition resolution. Which has meant upscaling your standard definition material to a minimum of 720HD...

...or that was the case until recently. Stupidly, the minimum resolution has recently jumped to 1080HD. Any less than that, and YouTube will display it in 25/30fps.

Bear that in mind if you want to show the beautiful fluid sprite movement in Scumball or Zynaps.

Also, there's a rumour that YouTube is planning to paywall YouTube users who want to see content in 4K resolution - a potential thing there for those capturing current-gen and previous-gen footage.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Re: The YouTube 50fps/60fps 'hack' needs your attention

Post by Nitrowing »

..or give youtube the finger and move to bitchute ;)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Nitrowing wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:31 pm ..or give youtube the finger and move to bitchute ;)
That's filled with the tinfoil-hatted loons! Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole the length of an Amstrad CPC464!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

PeteProdge wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:17 pm That's filled with the tinfoil-hatted loons! Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole the length of an Amstrad CPC464!
It most definitely is and I find it much more entertaining than Tube because of it :lol:
I've had 'a presence' on there for years as I avoid Tube like the plague - I refuse to feed Google.