Let's settle this once and for all....

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The correct keyboard layout for Speccy game controls is....

Poll ended at Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:37 pm

QAOP+M
38%
QAOP+N
1%
QAOP+SPACE
33%
5678+0
5%
QWER+T
3%
WASD+SOMETHING
2%
SOMETHING ELSE
17%

Total votes: 87

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Let's settle this once and for all....

Post by Rorthron »

Some outrageously weird key suggestions (ie not QAOP) have been voiced on this forum. It's time to find out definitively what the right setup is.
+3code
Manic Miner

Re: Let's settle this once and for all....

Post by +3code »

I see I'm the only one that sais opqa instead on qaop.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

I voted QWER+T just out of spite (so you at least know who was so crazy to pick this).
But I did like QAOP Space, used to call it "Quappo controls" with my brother
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

QZIPN
CLEAR 23855
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

QAOP-whatever here.

The 'whatever' I guess depends on whether you had a real proper rubber-keyed Spectrum, or one of later variants for SOFT LADS.
uglifruit wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:59 pmQZIPN
Stealthy big-hand bragging here :roll:
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

This looks suspiciously like one of those surveys constructed by creationists or vegans or right-wing gun-toting American nutjobs where they've deliberately split the most popular option into 3 separate sub-options to divide that vote, so they can try and claim their unhinged opinion comes out on top... :lol:
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Right now I'm the only one who chose the WASD option, well, age matters, I suppose.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Ever since I got my first PC in the 90s, the only game keys I've used have been the cursor keys + numpad 0 etc. I love these keys, and it's what I use on emulation, too.
Joefish wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:15 pm creationists or vegans
Painful comparison for me, as we're two diametrically-opposed groups! I'll say no more! :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Tsk. All the QAOPs should be lumped together as The Holy Four.

I voted QAOP-Space because it's best, but obvs I choose QAOP-M on a rubber keyed Speccy. If Rorthron wasn't clearly a proponent of the King Keys, I'd be calling shenanigans for splitting the top vote.

I feel almost as persecuted as I did when Prodge considered splitting Manic Miner into the Bug Byte and Software projects versions for the best game beginning with "M" poll!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Lee Bee wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:00 pmPainful comparison for me, as we're two diametrically-opposed groups! I'll say no more! :D
Well, at least you can come together over the whole 'Flat-Earth' thing... :dance :lol:
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

QAOP on rubber key, WASD on anything else
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

My brother and I used to play a lot of 2 player games, and once the umpteenth Kempston died and a replacement was refused, we learned the keyboard layout for the Sinclair joysticks to get around games which forced someone to use a joystick.

Added bonus: No redefine option? No problem! (Providing there's at least one Sinclair joystick option) :dance
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Joefish wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:37 pm Well, at least you can come together over the whole 'Flat-Earth' thing... :dance :lol:
LOL Where's the facepalm emoticon when you need it!?
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Surely it's QAOP and the entire bottom right half row.

Space is probably what you want to use on a Plus keyboard, but it's a bit too far over on the rubber key where N, M and Symbol Shift are in the running. It takes the same amount of code to read the lot, so why not?

WASD is OK if you're running your games on an emulator with a device with a modern keyboard, and maybe a +2/3 at a pinch, but I wouldn't be too fond of it on anything Sinclair ever made.

Cursors are OK if you're playing something like Arnhem, but I'd prefer not to have to use them for action games.

QWERT is an abomination, but you get can used to it after playing enough Atic Atac.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

It really is QZIPN.
This was THE STANDARD set for Speccy games. OK if folk don't like it or agree, but not even an option in the poll?
(it should probably replace the QAOPN option, as tiny handed folk who prefer QAOP will clearly prefer M for fire)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

QAOP&Sp or bust!!!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Mpk wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:01 pm QAOP-whatever here.

The 'whatever' I guess depends on whether you had a real proper rubber-keyed Spectrum, or one of later variants for SOFT LADS.

Stealthy big-hand bragging here :roll:
1 Z 7 0 and the space bar of a second keyboard :)
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

I like QAOP and space so much, I played in my ZX 48k+, +2, Amiga A500 and A1200. I still play it today! Yes folks in FPS games I use Q and A for forwards and back and have the O and P as my left and right mouse buttons! Play QAOP on driving games too such as WRC10 and trackmania! :mrgreen:
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

I found ZXKMLspace surprisingly good for R-Type as L would be good for fire and space for the Force.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

worcestersource wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:43 pm ZXKMLspace surprisingly good for R-Type as L would be good for fire and space for the Force.
Gah, if you need a 2nd fire button, it's Z / X so your left thumb can get it. That's why left/right need to be on an upper row, so your thumb is resting on the lower rows. Otherwise it's flapping around on the table; millions of years of evolution wasted. What finger are you pressing L with? The crappy one between your little finger and the middle? It doesn't even have a name.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:34 pm If Rorthron wasn't clearly a proponent of the King Keys, I'd be calling shenanigans for splitting the top vote.
The Righteous Four are still going to win.... :dance

BTW, on the basis of the 15-0 voting so far, I am claiming a conclusive victory in the QAOPM-vs-QAOPN debate @Morkin and I have had since 1984. He's clearly a complete freak. :lol:
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Mpk wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:50 pm Gah, if you need a 2nd fire button, it's Z / X so your left thumb can get it. That's why left/right need to be on an upper row, so your thumb is resting on the lower rows. Otherwise it's flapping around on the table; millions of years of evolution wasted. What finger are you pressing L with? The crappy one between your little finger and the middle? It doesn't even have a name.
You mean ring finger?

Maybe I just have strong hands?! :D
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:34 pm I voted QAOP-Space because it's best, but obvs I choose QAOP-M on a rubber keyed Speccy. If Rorthron wasn't clearly a proponent of the King Keys, I'd be calling shenanigans for splitting the top vote.
This is correct and really should have been summed up as a QAOP (SPACE or M or N). As it is, that's got a combined 36 votes with 14 for anything else. Us QAOPers are very much present and correct.

I'm surprised that Gremlin's in-house ZXOK SPACE (not as good as QAOP but certainly acceptable) isn't an option.
R-Tape wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:34 pmI feel almost as persecuted as I did when Prodge considered splitting Manic Miner into the Bug Byte and Software projects versions for the best game beginning with "M" poll!
Heh, a decision that'd be like considering Speedlock 1 and Speedlock 2 versions of the same game as being different!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

:twisted: In this increasing fractious debate, can I point out that the spacing of normal computer keyboard keys is not much different from piano, organ or synthesiser keyboards, and with all of these the keys are all laid out in a linear row :roll:

Further, for qwerty keyboards, you should look at the ‘rest’ position as used by touch typists to identify the best keys to use :geek:

Granted all of the above is not applicable to rubber key or to flat membrane keyboards :( :shock:

Did games writers/designers take account of left handed players as well as right handed players? :?: Was consideration given to the smaller hands of children vs. adults? :?:

:arrow: Hence my conclusion is that the only correct answer to the question of which are the best keys, is that the game should allow for user defined keys ALWAYS.

:idea: So anyone voting for any of the first six option rather than “SOMETHING ELSE” (‘cuz the op for some reason did not include user defined) should stick their hands in their pocket, wallet or purse and donate to charity. One £ pound, € Euro or $ US Dollar (or equivalent amount) per vote at least. I suggest donating to the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) to help Ukrainian citizens ;) 8-) :dance

Code: Select all

0 OK, 0:1
Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

uglifruit wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:59 pmQZIPN
Horace, is that you?

I started with QAOP space but I had a 48k+ and so the space bar eventually became unreliable. I moved to QAOPM and the M went too.

I eventually settled on QAKJL which always felt great. That's what I use when emulating now also.

S as my secondary button.