48k Games with AY music - is there a list?

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
Dodgypenguin
Drutt

48k Games with AY music - is there a list?

Post by Dodgypenguin »

Was wondering if there was a list of 48k games that support AY music?

Pondering whether it’s worth buying an zx-ay (or similar) AY plug in for the original 48k. Mention made that some exist, but can’t find a list.

Grateful for any suggestions.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: 48k Games with AY music - is there a list?

Post by Einar Saukas »

From the homepage, select machine "ZX Spectrum 48K" and feature "AY Sound":

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?ma ... up_id=1025
Dodgypenguin
Drutt

Post by Dodgypenguin »

Wow, didn’t realise you could do that. Many thanks. That’s quite a few!
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I'm not convinced by those results, I think it's including everything where there is both a 48k and 128k version in which the 128-only version has AY sound. For example, there is just no way the 128 soundtracks on Spellbound Dizzy were also on the 48 version, when it has to sacrifice the custom font to squeeze the game into RAM.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Good point.

Some of these titles may have separate 48K and 128K versions with AY sound in 128K version only.

Others have a single version that works in 48K but contains extra features for 128K (which usually means AY music).

It shouldn't be hard to add an extra option in SC advanced search to choose separate/unique versions. I will look into this.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

From the homepage, now you can select machine "ZX Spectrum 48K (without 128K version)" and feature "AY Sound":

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?ma ... up_id=1025

This list is based on the existence of a separate download file for 128K, so it may not always work (in case a separate 128K version exists but it's missing from the archive). Even so, it should be good enough for you...
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I suspect it's still way over-generous as lots of later games didn't split 48 and 128 versions. Stuff like Spellbound Dizzy and RoboCop are still in the results and don't really fit the OPs criteria. I'm not sure if ZXDB is really granular enough to extract that sort of level of detail (and I'm not convinced it should be).

It's probably a starting point for manually testing games out, but I doubt there is more than a handful of them which actually do this.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Yes, it's still quite crude. Doesn't work well with titles which have AY sound when loaded on 128kB but don't have it when loaded on 48kB.

I agree the proper way would be going manually through all the games and checking each of them (oh no!).

If someone was crazy enough one day to do it, he should also distinguish between games having AY effects only and games having AY music.