Essential add-ons for a Toastrack 128k

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Essential add-ons for a Toastrack 128k

Post by smurphboy »

I've finally got my hands on a Toastrack 128k. I really want to use the machine as it was intended to be used so no desire to 'mod' it, but are there any add-ons that I should consider for it?

I've ordered an RGB Scart lead and a new PSU so I don't need those. How about a DivMMC? If so, which model? I'm assuming I can get one with a Kempston port.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Re: Essential add-ons for a Toastrack 128k

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Divmmc all the way. The speccy has nothing when you power it up so the next step is to load some software!!!! no brainer. get a DIVMMC FUTURE
Be Safe! Be Happy! and have some Speccy FUN!!!
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Yes, the novelty of playing .tap files from my phone will wear off fast... Esp as I have a Spectrum Next and I've got used to almost instant .tap loading.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

I'd go for a Spectranet - there is a new batch being made up at the moment.
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

p13z wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:40 pm I'd go for a Spectranet - there is a new batch being made up at the moment.
Ahhh, I thought they were unobtainable. That would be interesting. Incompatible with DivMMC though still I assume?
magroc
Drutt

Post by magroc »

smurphboy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:33 pm I've finally got my hands on a Toastrack 128k. I really want to use the machine as it was intended to be used so no desire to 'mod' it, but are there any add-ons that I should consider for it?

I've ordered an RGB Scart lead and a new PSU so I don't need those. How about a DivMMC? If so, which model? I'm assuming I can get one with a Kempston port.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks.
I have also recently managed to find a Spectrum Toastrack 128k. May I ask you which PSU did you buy as there are many alternatives available? Online I found many suggesting to replace 7805 voltage regulator, because it's rated at a 1A peak output – the computer draws closes to 1A, so running it with peripherals can push the 7805 to its limits. It is therefore recommended to replace it with 78S05 voltage regulator also if it fails it will damage many components. Can I add the link from where I found this information?
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

magroc wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:08 pm May I ask you which PSU did you buy as there are many alternatives available? Online I found many suggesting to replace 7805 voltage regulator,
Mine came with the original PSU, but I'm going to replace the internal regulator.
magroc
Drutt

Post by magroc »

Also mine came with the original PSU, but I will buy a new PSU because if it stops working properly it will fry the PCB. Maybe there is no need for this.
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

I'm slightly biased but if you can get hold of an Interface 1 I'd recommend one of the Microdrive replacements (ZXPicoMD, Oqtadrive or vDrive). These work exactly as they would've done back in the 80s for the full retro experience, and loading a 128k game from Microdrive is great :-)

TomD
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

TomD wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:32 pm I'm slightly biased but if you can get hold of an Interface 1 I'd recommend one of the Microdrive replacements (ZXPicoMD, Oqtadrive or vDrive).
Why would you go for one of these (and an IF 1) over a DivMMC or similar?
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

smurphboy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:09 pm Why would you go for one of these (and an IF 1) over a DivMMC or similar?
I have both (and a few others :-)) but since getting the Microdrive replacement I just use that, even built my own and a few utilities to get all the games to work, similar to how TAP files work on the DivMMC. The Microdrive does most of what I need and is kind of how Sinclair intended the toastrack to be used back in 80s, which is a nice nostalgia hit, and I guess why most of us still use real hardware rather than emulators. Only downside is you do need an Interface 1.

If you fancy checking them out here are a few links: TomD
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

Quick photo to wet the appetite :-)

Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

A good dust cover. I use these hard ones on my 48k https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323777457009 ... media=COPY
Journeyman
Microbot

Post by Journeyman »

smurphboy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:09 pm Why would you go for one of these (and an IF 1) over a DivMMC or similar?
Yeah, for authenticity the Microdrive replacements are a far nicer experience than DivMMC. I find it annoying that the DivMMC is quite tricky to use from BASIC and it does a whole heap of things I don't really want or need. I also do attempt "serious" things with my Spectrum, and the IF1/Microdrive combo was quite well supported for that back in the day. The IF1's RS232 port is also more capable and better documented than the one built in to 128K machines. I've used it to print from Tasword onto a Brother EP-44 thermal typewriter, and the text output is lovely.

Transferring software onto microdrive is quite easy, especially if you have a Multiface.

Basically, the vDrive recreates the Microdrive experience as closely as possible without the massive weak link in the chain - the physical cartridges themselves. I love it.
Wrestling with useless old junk since 1974.
Vintage computers: ZX81, Spectrum +2, TRS-80 Model 100, Z88, Amstrad NC100
http://journeyman.online
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Journeyman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:22 pm Basically, the vDrive recreates the Microdrive experience as closely as possible without the massive weak link in the chain - the physical cartridges themselves. I love it.
That is quite a persuasive argument.

It's just a shame that +3DOS has no virtual implementation I can see, I suspect the drive controller is the issue.
Journeyman
Microbot

Post by Journeyman »

smurphboy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:06 pm That is quite a persuasive argument.

It's just a shame that +3DOS has no virtual implementation I can see, I suspect the drive controller is the issue.
There's far more to it than that - the +3 is radically different from earlier machines in several ways, and I'm not sure you could easily add +3 compatibility to them. The Spectrum Next manages it, though.
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Journeyman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:44 pm There's far more to it than that - the +3 is radically different from earlier machines in several ways, and I'm not sure you could easily add +3 compatibility to them. The Spectrum Next manages it, though.
It does and it doesn't... it still can't handle general .dsk files as it doesn't implement the controller, it just emulates the OS calls...

I'd love to see an recreation (Logic, FPGA or emulation) of the FDC but as you say, probably a bridge too far...
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

On an actual +3 you can emulate the drive with a Gotek or similar. I guess some kind of disk controller+ disk drive emulator would be nice for the +2A but wouldn't work on other models because they lack some of the hardware features of the +2A/+3
Journeyman
Microbot

Post by Journeyman »

AndyC wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:55 pm On an actual +3 you can emulate the drive with a Gotek or similar. I guess some kind of disk controller+ disk drive emulator would be nice for the +2A but wouldn't work on other models because they lack some of the hardware features of the +2A/+3
Amstrad promised a disk interface for the +2A, of course. I think it's been done by enthusiasts since, but like you say, the hardware is pretty different and I don't think you can get an older machine to behave in the required way.

I'd have felt a bit short-changed by the +2A back in the day. Without the disk interface, it had all the downsides of the +3 without any of the positives. People can overcome those now, but at the time it was all bit of a pain.
Crafty88
Drutt

Post by Crafty88 »

When fitting the IF1 do you need to remove the rear rubber feet from the Toastrack?
Journeyman
Microbot

Post by Journeyman »

Crafty88 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:38 pm When fitting the IF1 do you need to remove the rear rubber feet from the Toastrack?
It's some time since I owned one, but I did have an IF1 on it as well, and I don't remember anything about rubber feet. So no, I don't think you do.

My current weapon of choice is a +2, on which the IF1 is rather an awkward fit, but the +/toastrack case was designed with it in mind, so it works fine.