Everyone's a Wally 3D map

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Everyone's a Wally 3D map

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Back in 1985, the spanish magazine Micromania published a cut-out 3D map of this game. I've always known of it, but never saw it.

Recently, I've made a search and found it on @Neil Parsons web.

It's a really cute map that helps a lot to orient during the game. I don't know if another magazine published something similar, but I think I needs to be shared and be included in the archive. Don't you think?
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: Everyone's a Wally 3D map

Post by Joefish »

That's pretty amazing way of presenting the map, though I hated that whole system of 2D screens at right-angles to each other, as it's such a nightmare to navigate. Dun Darach was just as bad, even if you could switch the view round. Unless you've got a 3D engine, you shouldn't be trying to render anything like a real town. For 2D, just do it like Jack the Nipper with parallel streets and interiors stacked behind each other, and anything of interest always on the same side of the road.
evilpaul
Manic Miner

Post by evilpaul »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:31 am It's a really cute map that helps a lot to orient during the game. I don't know if another magazine published something similar, but I think I needs to be printed out, built and photographed. Don't you think?
Yes.. I very much agree!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Nice!

There was a cut out and construct Dragon's Lair II map in Crash.

https://ia800604.us.archive.org/view_ar ... _Part1.jpg

https://ia600604.us.archive.org/view_ar ... _Part2.jpg
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Love it! Great post, Juan!
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Where's the guy who makes 3D versions of platformers?
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Not my usual thing at all, but after staring at screens all day (and usually staring at other screens all evening) this was a nice change of pace :ugeek: thanks for sharing such high res scans

Has anyone else had a go? I think I’ll finish it tomorrow.

(I wish I’d edited in some snow and Christmas trees before printing it out though!)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks Juan. I'd like to see similar for something like FEUD or Balachor's Revenge.
flatduckrecords wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:41 am Has anyone else had a go? I think I’ll finish it tomorrow.
Very cool, and it can double as Warhammer scenery or hinterland on your N gauge branch line from Edinburgh Powerbox. I'll have to try this over the hols. I assume each sheet was original printed as A4?
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:07 am Very cool, and it can double as Warhammer scenery or hinterland on your N gauge branch line from Edinburgh Powerbox.
I've never painted a figurine nor kitbashed a sprew in all my puff, but this tweet made me laugh the other day so perhaps that was on my mind when I looked out the Pritt stick and craft knife. (And the reason I even had those to hand was because I wanted to make couple of replacement cassette inlays for Spectrum games, natch).
R-Tape wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:07 am I assume each sheet was original printed as A4?
My printer reckoned that A4 was only 1/3rd of the intrinsic size (I guess depending on DPI) so I reckon you could blow it up a bit larger.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

This is great..! :D

I remember a 3D map winning Crash's Knight Lore map competition. I'm sure if I'd tried to create one like that I would've stepped on it and squashed it or something.

I reckon a cool one would be Atic Atac, a small map but on multiple levels with pits and staircases. Maybe you could take the walls off the house to reveal the rooms inside. Though I'm not sure how the secret passageways would work...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

After a few hours, the map is done. Not perfect, but it is nice anyway...

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... wally.html
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Looks fine! :) :) :)

I wish I had the magazine with this map inside (actually quite difficult to find), do a printable-at-full-colour copy at the same size of every sheet, take the cut-outs off with care, and patiently build it up.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Joefish wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:20 pm That's pretty amazing way of presenting the map, though I hated that whole system of 2D screens at right-angles to each other, as it's such a nightmare to navigate. Dun Darach was just as bad, even if you could switch the view round. Unless you've got a 3D engine, you shouldn't be trying to render anything like a real town. For 2D, just do it like Jack the Nipper with parallel streets and interiors stacked behind each other, and anything of interest always on the same side of the road.
Fantastic Dizzy (the 16-bit one) did it quite neatly, with this interlinked street map displayed above the alleyways while you were using them. I could imagine something like this working on the Speccy with the likes of Joe Blade:

zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

I wonder how would it look like a map of Knight Lore, Alien 8 or Nightshade. Or how much space would it take a map of Dragontorc...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

zup wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:46 am I wonder how would it look like a map of Knight Lore, Alien 8 or Nightshade. Or how much space would it take a map of Dragontorc...
There was a Knight Lore 3D map/model submission for Crash's Knight Lore/Underwurlde map compo.

Dragontorc would be a challenge I think, a lot of the rooms don't quite 'fit' together as you'd expect, so you'd have to be quite imaginative.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com