Spectrum Analyser

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Spectrum Analyser

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Hi, just reposting an interesting tool I saw on the Facebook group - Z80 Assembly Programming On The ZX Spectrum

"Hi all. I’ve been working on a tool for reverse engineering ZX Spectrum games for a while now and I’ve decided to do a public release. I built this tool for my own amusement so I can understand if no one else finds it interesting!
It’s kind of an emulator/disassembler/analyser based on the ‘chips’ open source emulator.
There are some basic instructions included which will improved on over time.
It can be downloaded from here:
https://colourclash.co.uk/SpectrumAnalyser.zip
I would be grateful for any suggestions and feedback."
Definition of loop : see loop
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Re: Spectrum Analyser

Post by Bedazzle »

It does not start on my Win7. :(

And hack with renaming old 1.3 throws different error:

On WIn11 it does open some blank window for a second, and just closes without error.
Weird. :(
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

https://wikidll.com/microsoft/xinput1_4 ... 0directory.

This might help. It seems the program is expecting certain library files to be present on your computer.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

The author of this tool posted a thread regarding it a few years ago, which may be useful for those who want more information: viewtopic.php?t=2155
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
crabfists
Drutt

Post by crabfists »

Spectrum Analyser currently supports Windows 10 and above. More information on the tool here (including a walkthrough video):

https://colourclash.co.uk/spectrum-analyser/
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

crabfists wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:00 am Spectrum Analyser currently supports Windows 10 and above. More information on the tool here (including a walkthrough video):

https://colourclash.co.uk/spectrum-analyser/
Fresh version (exe file is 2023.01.07) correctly starts under Win11.
crabfists
Drutt

Post by crabfists »

Strange, it's been working on Windows 11 all along for me. Hopefully that was a one-off quirk.

@Bedazzle How are you finding the tool?
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

crabfists wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:28 am Strange, it's been working on Windows 11 all along for me. Hopefully that was a one-off quirk.

Haven't time to put my hands on it. Sure will report when I'll use it for some time!
tkfan
Drutt

Post by tkfan »

Spectrum Analyser is for Windows but I use only Linux (Debian testing). I tried to run with Wine and was unsuccessful. :(
crabfists
Drutt

Post by crabfists »

I've been told a Linux/Mac build is going to be worked on. It's built on ImGui, which is a cross platform API, so hopefully won't be that hard.
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

crabfists wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:28 am Strange, it's been working on Windows 11 all along for me. Hopefully that was a one-off quirk.

Tried to run it from remote, and it does not start because of missing audio.

Configured audio, analyser correctly started.
But after opening *.sna from menu it closes without notification. (Same snapshot does normally runs when opened in analyser locally).
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Bedazzle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:48 pm But after opening *.sna from menu it closes without notification. (Same snapshot does normally runs when opened in analyser locally).
Unpacking fresh analyser copy from archive fixed this. Trying to do some disasm. :)
crabfists
Drutt

Post by crabfists »

Glad you got it working! Let me know if you have any feedback or find any bugs. ;)
Bedazzle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:51 am
Unpacking fresh analyser copy from archive fixed this. Trying to do some disasm. :)
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Bedazzle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:51 am Unpacking fresh analyser copy from archive fixed this. Trying to do some disasm. :)
Played with it a very little, but I find it useful, if:
- to put into file not all the memory disasm, but selected range (by lines or addresses);
- option to put asm source into clipboard;
- easy label renaming;
- to export memory range as binary (for example, sprite or font ripping);
- to define structure of disasm (for later easier compilation, different assemblers use slightly different syntax);

In general - It is very solid tool with rich features. For example, I like very much onscreen address pointing with cell info and preview. :)
crabfists
Drutt

Post by crabfists »

@Bedazzle Great feedback. Thanks!
Bedazzle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:33 pm - to put into file not all the memory disasm, but selected range (by lines or addresses);
This feature was added in the latest build. See this post:

viewtopic.php?p=111047#p111047

Please try it and let us know what you think.
Arlorean
Drutt

Post by Arlorean »

Would it be possible to add an option to force a new 'b' data block to be created so you get a new entry in the .skool file when you export it?
Currently the FSkoolKitExporter::ShouldAddNewEntry() method just does it when the directive type changes, or a function is written out. I've got a situation where there are a couple of distinct data tables that are both just DEFB byte arrays but are adjacent, so they have the same directive, and I can't get the 'b' start block character to be written out for them individually.
Not sure if I should log this here or directly as a feature request on GitHub.
It's an amazing tool BTW. I'm really having fun doing discovering how Rebelstar worked and it would be great to get the .skool file generated for it as well. Thanks for all you've done with this.