What projects are you working on (retro)

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

What projects are you working on (retro)

Post by oO cozy Oo »

I`ve had an Amiga A600 for a few months now and i sent it to www.retropassion.co.uk for recapping, so should get it back first week next year!
Next I`ll have to fit a Gotek drive and a Compact flask hard drive adapter. Had one back in the day in 1991 lol ,But still think the Spectum is the best computer in my youth :dance :dance :dance :dance
Be Safe! Be Happy! and have some Speccy FUN!!!
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Re: What projects are you working on (retro)

Post by smurphboy »

I'm in the middle of recapping a Toastrack 128k +, but I've got an eye out for an A1200 or A4000 to renovate.

I had an A1200 with 68030EC and 4MB RAM BITD and sold it and the multisync monitor to get a Mac LC II... Regrets... I've had a few...
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

@smurphboy
I`d love a 128k toastrack !! but the price £$$££$£$, I was thinking of a harlequin( or a OMNI 128) with a 48+ case and fake heat sink! but Santa may have missed me this year :( :( :(
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

What am I working on?

This masterpiece....

oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Jbizzel wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:27 pm What am I working on?

This masterpiece....

lol Nice and auto player for a zx spectrum......... or a demo mockup of your next game!!!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

@oO cozy Oo well, one of these guys does appear in my latest game, Yoyo's Revenge. :)
chubsta
Drutt

Post by chubsta »

my first Speccy game - couldnt even get my head around BASIC when I had a Spectrum as a kid but played around with asm on the ST, then went on to make a killing writing apps in Obj-C when the iPhone first came out.

Finally feel ready to make that Spectrum game I have always dreamt of - it is still very difficult but I am getting there, hopefully will be finished by the end of 2023!
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

I finally found some time to look at a game I last worked on last February. I’d made good progress so had plenty to look at but all I really got to do was read the code to figure out how it worked. Fortunately I’d commented it so heavily! Everything was in place to accept two new level tile sets, so I thought it’d give me a push if I drew another set.

My other retro project is my Rover SD1. I’ve had it six years and have to tinker with it to keep it on the road (it replaced a perfectly good Mondeo). My Christmas present this year was a new headlining board!

Steve
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Sometime towards the end of last year (2021) I had an order with The Future Was 8-Bit for something or other and stuck a couple of C64 cartridge PCBs and rather fetching Stumpy Cases into my shopping cart at the same time.

I’ve yet to even write a single byte of 6502 (6510) never mind blowing said bytes to an EPROM but I’d like to get around to it this year.

I’ve nothing specific in mind but I’ve got a pal with a real C64 that would be amused by a custom cart so I’ll come up with something!
scoppack
Dizzy

Post by scoppack »

I'd like to continue and hopefully finish the 4 games I started last year. Haven't really touched them at all this year. Single screen shooter, a bullet hell-ish scroller, an isometric adventure, and a vertical scrolling reboot of a classic. Failing that, i'll just trawl ebay for bargains :)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I must confess I'm working on something quite huge - a commercial product I'm planning to sell globally. It's my "grand vision" which has been years in the making and I'm still years from launching. Something very new and different. I can't wait to share more when the time's right, but I can't go into details just yet. I have no experience of manufacturing or retailing products, I just strongly believe the world needs this "visionary product", so I'm trying to make it happen! :-)
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

If anyone's hesitant about posting here, I can say that posting what you're working on in a thread like this really encourages you to make progress, as it means the idea is not just in your head any more; it's out in the world, and the project feels more real. So, you really feel like you should get them completed.

With that in mind : You can't trick me into productivity! I'm keeping my stupid nonsense to myself.
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:19 pm @smurphboy
I`d love a 128k toastrack !! but the price £$$££$£$, I was thinking of a harlequin( or a OMNI 128) with a 48+ case and fake heat sink! but Santa may have missed me this year :( :( :(
I saved up and swallowed my pride and bought one on ebay. I went for one that was unspoilt but needed work. But I can see the attraction of a Harlequin or FPGA ULA solution.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

smurphboy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:48 pm I saved up and swallowed my pride and bought one on ebay. I went for one that was unspoilt but needed work. But I can see the attraction of a Harlequin or FPGA ULA solution.
I will save up and have one, but tell the wife it cost less than I paid for it :lol: Just seems right to use real hardware( I have a zx Sizif 512), Like the Amiga A600 I`ve had recapped and extra work I`ll do(when i get it back) will be better than the Pi4 with Pimiga on it, ok its got all the games but when I will use the real thing it will bring a smile to my face :dance :dance :dance :dance
Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

im building a finalgrom for the ti99 with surface mount devices
i started programming the spectrum when i was 8 :-

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1

http://zxspeccy.great-site.net/
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

777 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:50 pm im building a finalgrom for the ti99 with surface mount devices
Have you got a TL866II PLUS USB Minipro Programmer EEPROM FLASH or have you got the complete kit to make up, I was going to buy one.
Was thinking to do a ZX Dandanator Mini 2.1 and program the eeproms.
Good luck with your project!!!

Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:02 pm Have you got a TL866II PLUS USB Minipro Programmer EEPROM FLASH or have you got the complete kit to make up, I was going to buy one.
Was thinking to do a ZX Dandanator Mini 2.1 and program the eeproms.
I'm having to build it myself. So I will need the programmer at some point. I think you program it over serial.
i started programming the spectrum when i was 8 :-

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1

http://zxspeccy.great-site.net/
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Lee Bee wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:40 pm I must confess I'm working on something quite huge - a commercial product I'm planning to sell globally. It's my "grand vision" which has been years in the making and I'm still years from launching. Something very new and different. I can't wait to share more when the time's right, but I can't go into details just yet. I have no experience of manufacturing or retailing products, I just strongly believe the world needs this "visionary product", so I'm trying to make it happen! :-)
Is is Spectrum related? :shock:
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Ivanzx wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:17 am Is is Spectrum related? :shock:
Sort of. It was directly inspired by my love of the Spectrum so I think it will appeal to Spectrum fans. On the other hand, it's not a piece of Spectrum hardware, it's a completely separate product.