Retro Virtual Machine 2.1

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Retro Virtual Machine 2.1

Post by PeterJ »

It's been a long wait but v2.1 is now available:

https://www.retrovirtualmachine.org/

The extensive change log is here:

https://www.retrovirtualmachine.org/changelog/

New machines
Amstrad CPC
Amstrad CPC 464 Plus
Amstrad CPC 6128 Plus
Amstrad GX-4000
ZX Spectrum
ZX Spectrum 48k NTSC
ZX Spectrum Pentagon
Microdigital TK-90X
Microdigital TK-95
MSX-1
Toshiba HX-10P
Toshiba HX-10S
Toshiba HX-10D
Colecovision
Colecovision PAL
Colecovision NTSC
Sega SG-1000
Sega SG-1000
Sega Master System
Master System 1 + FM Japanesse
Master System 1 NTSC
Master System 1 PAL
Master System 2 NTSC
Master System 2 PAL

New chips emulated
Texas Instruments TMS9918
Sega Master System VDP
Texas Instruments SN76489 (PSG)
Yamaha YM2413
Western Digital FD1793
Amstrad ASIC

New Features
MacOs Version universal (Intel / Apple Silicon)
App optimized to work on HiDPI displays (4k, retina display) on MacOs, Windows and Linux
Tape counter
Zip files support and zip with multiples files support
New overlay effect
New LCD on the overlay
New blur background effect
Keyboard support for joystick emulation
New audio engine using miniaudio
The app no longer uses SDL
Rewrited from scratch Amstrad CPC emulation, significantly faster
CRTC-0 and CRTC-1 Selectable in Amstrad CPC machines
ESXDOS Rom selectable in divmmc and zxuno
Support for changing internal ROMs in ZX Spectrum machines
Improved effects on the audio panel
New machine icons and flags
Reducd input lag
Reduced frame tearing

KNOW BUG’S
On AMD graphics cards on Windows, there is a bug in the latest OpenGL drivers that causes both RVM 2.0 and RVM 2.1.0 to flicker in black in full screen mode. It is recommended not to use any driver later than Adrenalin 22.5.2 while we try to fix the problem.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Re: Retro Virtual Machine 2.1

Post by Luzie »

I tried Windows x64 Version: Starting a 48k Speccy works. But starting the "+3e (DIVMMC)" Spectrum quits RVM 2.1 without any error-message.
Last edited by Luzie on Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Suggest a bug report @Luzie:

Mail [email protected]
Twitter @retrovm
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:57 pm Suggest a bug report @Luzie:

Mail [email protected]
Twitter @retrovm
Thank you. Message send to: [email protected]
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Luzie wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:48 pm I tried Windows x64 Version: Starting a 48k Speccy works. But starting the "+3e (DIVMMC)" Spectrum quits RVM 2.1 without any error-message.
I just gave this a try and it worked for me. For reference here are the steps I did. I don't use the +3E much so let me know if I'm skipping anything.
I'm running this on Windows 10 Home (version 21H2 if that matters).

1. Created a new machine, Picked ZX Spectrum, clicked on Next
2. Picked Zx Spectrum +2A/+3, then click Next
3. Picked Zx Spectrum +3E, then click Create
4. Browsed to a file location and gave the machine a name and clicked Save. The location I chose was same folder containing the Retro Virtual Machine executable
5. Opened the machine, clicked on the SD card icon in top right.
6. Left the firmware set on esxDOS 0.8.9. Clicked on the "ROM Disabled" switch which became green and enabled the ROM.
7. Clicked on SD Card A and clicked Insert. Browsed for a SD card image (.img file) and clicked Open.
8. Switched off the machine and turned it back on. It showed the esxDOS text as it started up.
9. Pressed the home button to take me into the file menu (.browse also works). I'm using Bob Fossil's excellent LFN Browser and that worked as it did before. Loaded a few random games and it worked like a charm.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

That is an amazing amount of work judging from the change log. I can't wait to try this. Am I sad to be excited by the tape counter?
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

cmal wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:26 am I just gave this a try and it worked for me. For reference here are the steps I did. I don't use the +3E much so let me know if I'm skipping anything.
I'm running this on Windows 10 Home (version 21H2 if that matters).

1. Created a new machine, Picked ZX Spectrum, clicked on Next
2. Picked Zx Spectrum +2A/+3, then click Next
3. Picked Zx Spectrum +3E, then click Create
4. Browsed to a file location and gave the machine a name and clicked Save. The location I chose was same folder containing the Retro Virtual Machine executable
5. Opened the machine, clicked on the SD card icon in top right.
6. Left the firmware set on esxDOS 0.8.9. Clicked on the "ROM Disabled" switch which became green and enabled the ROM.
7. Clicked on SD Card A and clicked Insert. Browsed for a SD card image (.img file) and clicked Open.
8. Switched off the machine and turned it back on. It showed the esxDOS text as it started up.
9. Pressed the home button to take me into the file menu (.browse also works). I'm using Bob Fossil's excellent LFN Browser and that worked as it did before. Loaded a few random games and it worked like a charm.
OK. Thank you. I tried it the way you described, and it works for me to with the newly created "+3E".
On Step 6. I created a new SD-Card instead of using an existing SD-Card-Image-File. I think, because of this, ".browse" (Step 9) doesn´t work for me. Where can I find the "Home button"? (Is this the way to create a NMI/show esxDOS NMI-Menu?). Is there a Keyboard-Shortcut for sending a NMI?

All in all, this should be no critism on RVM but suggestions:
-I miss any documentation. Even on the Website at: https://www.retrovirtualmachine.org/doc/ nothing can be found yet.
-Tooltips show up to slowly with a delay on 1-2 seconds. This should be faster, I think.
Over all, nice looking portable Emulator with some very nice options like it´s extensive video-options.
Last edited by Luzie on Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jcgamestoy
Drutt

Post by jcgamestoy »

Hello, the NMI Key is the "Home" key of your keyboard
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

This is fantastic! :-) I wasn't really aware of this project until now as I don't really follow the emulation scene (I don't actually play games any more, I'm only interested in development).

I love the idea of an all-in-one unified 8-bit emulator frontend. With so many different 8-bit machines, it just makes sense to have one package, one simple interface, no need to constantly update a bunch of separate applications. The GUI looks great, and this kind of all-in-one system really is the future of emulation IMHO. Reminds me of the Hyperspin arcade frontend which I always loved.

I particularly love the authentic graphical effects - as a CRT lover, that's something I've always been passionate about and tried to push for in emulation.

So who are the team behind this? Anyone here?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

It's at the bottom of the website homepage @Lee Bee. It's Juan Carlos González Amestoy (Who I'm assuming is @jcgamestoy!

Glad you like the emulator.
Spezzi63
Drutt

Post by Spezzi63 »

Luzie wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:51 am Where can I find the "Home button"?
Try the "Pos1" key ;)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:05 pm It's at the bottom of the website homepage @Lee Bee. It's Juan Carlos González Amestoy (Who I'm assuming is @jcgamestoy
Sure but that page repeatedly says "our", implying a team. Just wondered if any of them were regulars here.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

jcgamestoy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:01 pm Hello, the NMI Key is the "Home" key of your keyboard
Thanks @jcgamestoy for correcting me. I'm not sure why I typed home button instead of home key.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Lee Bee wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:02 pm I particularly love the authentic graphical effects - as a CRT lover, that's something I've always been passionate about and tried to push for in emulation.
Agreed - this is an excellent emulator and one of my favorites. The old-school look and feel is an excellent touch and very unique. A lot of nice upgrades were thrown in since the previous release (including that tape counter). The zip file compatibility is implemented very well.

On top of that, the emulator looks and feels very accurate. I haven't done any extensive testing but it did pass the Aquaplane test.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

cmal wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:56 pm Thanks @jcgamestoy for correcting me. I'm not sure why I typed home button instead of home key.
So or so. We have no "Home" on german keyboards :D I had to ask, if not @Spezzi63 tells me I have to use "Pos.1" (="Position 1)-Key on german keyboard.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Does anyone know how you access the firmware vault so you can import a valid BIOS for MSX?

Thanks

PS - @Lee Bee its @jcgamestoy only by the look of it.

cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

I did notice some glitchy behavior with the ZX Uno v4.2 machine. While playing Bomb Jack I noticed that every 30 seconds or so, the emulation pauses for about half a second.

I tried creating a new ZX Uno machine and saw the same thing happen.

This short BASIC program demonstrates the pause:

10 BORDER 2
20 BORDER 4
30 GOTO 10

The border scrolls smoothly and every 30 seconds there's a noticeable pause. Can someone else please try it on their side? Maybe it's my PC that's to blame.
I didn't see the same behavior on the 48K, nor on the 128K Spectrum. I'm using the latest version 2.1.1.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:08 pm Does anyone know how you access the firmware vault so you can import a valid BIOS for MSX?

Thanks

PS - @Lee Bee its @jcgamestoy only by the look of it.

Here's how:

1. Open RVM and maximize the RVM window. If you don't maximize, the buttons at the bottom will be cut off and you'll be stuck.
2. Click on the 3 lines on the top left. I think that's called a hamburger thingy.
3. Select Firmware Vault...
4. It looks like you can drag & drop firmware files or browse for them.

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @cmal. Much appreciated.
tkfan
Drutt

Post by tkfan »

Wow! It emulates TK90X and TK95! Very interesting indeed! ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm loving the way that RVM can create the SD Card image for you and copy over all the required files. Then you can explore the virtual SD card (within the emulator) and just drag and drop game files onto the virtual card. This is like the best Christmas present ever!

The emulator is in need of proper documentation though!

@cmal, I set-up a ZXUno v4.2 and didn't notice any slowdown with the games I tried.

Edit - You can also copy over whole folders (it even confirms overwrites, and lets you delete files too) which meant installing the @bob_fossil browser is super easy.

cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:04 pm I'm loving the way that RVM can create the SD Card image for you and copy over all the required files. Then you can explore the virtual SD card (within the emulator) and just drag and drop game files onto the virtual card. This is like the best Christmas present ever!

@cmal, I set-up a ZXUno v4.2 and didn't notice any slowdown with the games I tried.

Edit - You can also copy over whole folders (it even confirms overwrites, and lets you delete files too) which meant installing the @bob_fossil browser is super easy.
Thanks for testing this @PeterJ. Must be something on my side. I’ll install this onto my work laptop and see if the issue is still there.

I’m with you - the DIVMMC functionality on this emulator is excellent and super easy to use. I’ve tried it with large collections of files and folders in conjunction with @bob_fossil’s browser and it’s solid.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:04 pm I'm loving the way that RVM can create the SD Card image for you and copy over all the required files. Then you can explore the virtual SD card (within the emulator) and just drag and drop game files onto the virtual card. This is like the best Christmas present ever!
I don't want to belittle RVM v2.1 but "SD-Card Editor" from #CSpect can do this too: "Drag and Drop from SD card image":

(I just discovered this today while browsing Mike Dailly´s Youtube Videos).
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Luzie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:07 pm I don't want to belittle RVM v2.1 but "SD-Card Editor" from #CSpect can do this too: "Drag and Drop from SD card image":

(I just discovered this today while browsing Mike Dailly´s Youtube Videos).
Today I discovered that SDCardEditor.exe from Cspect works (yet) only for dragging files/dirs out of an image and not into an image:
https://github.com/mikedailly/SDCardEdi ... 1370138961
mikedailly
If you want to open an SD card in the GUI, then just run the .EXE and type the full path into the "SD Card Image" text box, then click open. For some reason you can't cut/paste text into that text box - I've not fixed that yet, nor added a file browser.... sorry.
You can't drag files IN at the moment, just out.
So RVM v2.1.1 is the better choice atm for drag and dropping.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Retro Virtual Machine 2.1.2

Post by Luzie »

New version Retro Virtual Machine v2.1.2 available on: https://www.retrovirtualmachine.org/download/

Downloads-Links:
Windows x64: https://static.retrovm.org/release/2.1. ... ws.x64.zip
Mac OS: https://static.retrovm.org/release/2.1. ... ws.x64.zip
Linux x64 .deb: https://static.retrovm.org/release/2.1. ... ux.x64.deb
Linux x64 .zip: https://static.retrovm.org/release/2.1. ... ux.x64.zip

Changelog
RetroVM v2.1.2 (03/12/2023)

Added a new machine ‘GX-4000 with 128k Mod’
The ‘P’ key functions as a pause again in the Sega Master System and the Sega SG-1000.
In the NTSC SMS2, the SMS2 image is now correctly displayed instead of the SMS1 image in the cartridge panel.
Fixed the port DFXX in the GX4000
Mapped the GX4000 pause button to the P key and the ESC key
Mapped alternatively the pause NMI button to the ESC key in the SMS and SG-1000
Enabled the ‘-ns’ no shader CLI switch
Copyright adapted to the new year!