Amstrad CPC 6128 start-up screen colours

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
J2112Z
Dizzy

Amstrad CPC 6128 start-up screen colours

Post by J2112Z »

Hello,

Anyone here familiar with the Amstrad CPC 6128?

I've just bought one on FleaBay "untested / spares / repairs" (I know - glutton for punishment...). :D

On switching it on, I get the start-up screen, as normal EXCEPT the colours look a little 'odd' to me. I get yellow text on a purple / pink background with a blue border! I thought it was supposed to be yellow text on a blue background & black border??? :?

If I run a BASIC program to display the BORDER colours, one at a time, displaying the border colour number and pausing for a couple of seconds, I can check each one against the hand colour chart label Amstrad thoughtfully stuck onto the floppy drive (it came with the manual as well). All the colours are present & correct!

So what's going one here? It can't be my TV or my SCART cable adaptor. Have I got a 'revised' model or is this some sort of weird glitch, and if so, should I be worried? :?

Thanks in advance.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: Amstrad CPC 6128 start-up screen colours

Post by AndyC »

It should be yellow and blue. Might be worth asking on cpcwiki forums as there are plenty of folk good at diagnosing hardware issues from a description like that.
J2112Z
Dizzy

Re: Amstrad CPC 6128 start-up screen colours

Post by J2112Z »

Thanks. After chatting with the folks on CPCWiki, turns out its a 'wonky' Gate Array chip (the 40010). :(

So, nowt I can do until I can source a replacement (either original or FPGA). :roll:

If anyone here can help me with that, I'd appreciate a PM. :)