Do you have Psychic powers...?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Do you have Psychic powers...?

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

... because your Spectrum has the answer!

Know Your Own Psi-Q by Mirrorsoft is another program with a weird, pseudo-science (IMHO) topic, based upon the book with the same name by Hans Eysenck and Carl Sargent.

As the instructions say, "This most fascinating of home computer programs takes the investigation and testing of Psychic ability out of the laboratory and into you own home. Are you psychic? Can any members of your family, can any of your friends, predict the future (precognition) or see the unseen clearly (clairvoyance)? Known Your Own PSI-Q uses entertaining and scientifically researched card games and shooting games to check for psychic abilities in the user. No cheating is possible, the computer is in total control of every test."

It has two tapes. The first one is a Psi-Quiz, a questionnaire designed to assess your psychic inclinations, awareness and possible potential. The second includes some psi-games to check your potential.

After doing the first quiz, my results are:

Erm?

Not many psychic ability, I'm afraid.

After loading tape 2, next menu is showed:

You are advised to try as many attempts as possible (50 minimun), the more, the more accurate the analysis is. For example, in Guess the Suit game:

the results, after 50 attemps:

The final chart, after trying all the tests is:

I can't conclude anything with those results... Am I psychic or not?

Option 6 presents you with a series of images and sounds designed 'to help you achieve a relaxed state of mind which will make you more receptive to psi stimuli'. Fisrt, the program calculate in a sophisticated (*cough*) way your pulse. Then, after a slow drawing, the screen showed this: (WTF??)

Option 7 resets the game. But it's useless as after this experience, you've learnt to reset the program with your own mind...

Turrican
Microbot

Re: Do you have Psychic powers...?

Post by Turrican »

:lol:
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

"Get back to work, Juan..!"

Juan's boss
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Somehow, I knew it was going to be rubbish!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Joefish wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:45 pm Somehow, I knew it was going to be rubbish!
It's kind of the daft cod psychoanalysis popular in British newspapers and magazines back in the 1980s. I can see why MirrorSoft is the publisher. Nothing tops Your Sinclair's personality test, mind.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Would've made a cracking CSSCGC entry...
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:25 am ... because your Spectrum has the answer!

Know Your Own Psi-Q by Mirrorsoft is another program with a weird, pseudo-science (IMHO) topic, based upon the book with the same name by Hans Eysenck and Carl Sargent.
I knew you would post that! :)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Who knows if the chuntey field was in fact just psychic powers...
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I wonder how accurate their sales forecast was for this title..?
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

I'm actually more surprised that it seems to have given more or less "correct" answers, instead of just saying you're super psychic.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

If you POKE 23659,2 at the menu you can break into the program and view the listing.

I saw a bunch of DEF FN statements at the start of the program, which for my BASIC knowledge is a more effective hacker counter-measure than POKE 23659,0 :lol: :lol:

I was wondering how random the card suit part actually was.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com