The --sim-load challenge

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

The --sim-load challenge

Post by SkoolKid »

As some of you may recall from such forum topics as this one, in recent months I've been working on the --sim-load option of SkoolKit's tap2sna.py command, the idea being that producing a working pristine snapshot of a game should be as simple as:

Code: Select all

tap2sna.py --sim-load anygameyoulike.tzx game.z80
Things are going pretty well so far, and I can say without fear of contradiction that tap2sna.py in the upcoming SkoolKit 8.9 will be by far the best yet in terms of its --sim-load abilities. In a recent test I conducted of about 600 TZX files, tap2sna.py --sim-load managed to produce a working snapshot for over 95% of them.

But...having to test and check all the TZX and TAP files out there all by myself is a bit of a tall order, so this is where I'm putting a call out for some volunteers. If you have some time, could you pick a handful of games whose loaders might be a bit tricky, and run their TZX/TAP files through tap2sna.py --sim-load to see what happens? Then if you find a game that makes --sim-load choke, let me know in this thread, and I'll investigate.

Some tips before you get started:
  • Make sure you use tap2sna.py from the absolute latest development version of SkoolKit, available on GitHub. (Click the green "Code" button to download a zip archive if you don't have "git" installed.)
  • If a plain --sim-load doesn't work, try --sim-load --no-fast-load as well. If --no-fast-load works, that's useful information.
  • If you're ever curious about where --sim-load is going wrong (or right), try the --trace option, which logs all instructions that are executed during the simulated LOAD to a file (which may get very large - potentially hundreds of megabytes).
  • If you can, use Python 3.11 - it's the fastest version of Python 3 currently available, and will cut your --sim-load times significantly.
Good luck to any and all who accept the challenge!
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
Stu
Manic Miner

Re: The --sim-load challenge

Post by Stu »

Not really a fail as such, but to get Star Wars to work I had to make a new TZX without the first few blocks (which just displays some info and can be skipped over), so I don't know if there's any scope for a "start loading from block x" option? But once I did that it did at least work!

MASK on the other hand doesn't work at all -- as far as I can tell it resets fairly early on in the loading process.

Basil the Great Mouse Detective also fails.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

Stu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:05 am Not really a fail as such, but to get Star Wars to work I had to make a new TZX without the first few blocks (which just displays some info and can be skipped over), so I don't know if there's any scope for a "start loading from block x" option?
Yep, good idea - I will add that to the TODO list for SkoolKit 8.9.
Funnily enough, I just added support for that game today. It requires the polarity of the tape to be switched:

tap2sna.py --sim-load -c polarity=1 'Basil The Great Mouse Detective.tzx' basil.z80
I think Mask might require the same polarity switch, but I haven't tested that yet.

Thanks for finding these!

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention in the first post is that I'm only looking at supporting 48K games at the moment. Support for 128K games may come later.
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

SkoolKid wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:34 am Funnily enough, I just added support for that game today. It requires the polarity of the tape to be switched:

tap2sna.py --sim-load -c polarity=1 'Basil The Great Mouse Detective.tzx' basil.z80
I think Mask might require the same polarity switch, but I haven't tested that yet.
Nice one, just checked and yeah that does the trick for Mask as well :D
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

This is brilliant and great for getting good snapshots with loading screens in place for putting onto Microdrive or Disk. Just tried Bobby Bearing which has a scrolling message loader and it worked fine.

TomD
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

Just tried Three Weeks in Paradise 128k version and it stalled. Does this support 128k?

TomD
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

TomD wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:53 pm Just tried Three Weeks in Paradise 128k version and it stalled. Does this support 128k?
No, it's 48K only at the moment. I might add support for 128K later, depending on how complex simulating that hardware is. (I only ever had a 48K Spectrum, and know very little about the 128K models.)
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

SkoolKid wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:26 pm No, it's 48K only at the moment. I might add support for 128K later, depending on how complex simulating that hardware is. (I only ever had a 48K Spectrum, and know very little about the 128K models.)
Thanks, I think it will mostly be capturing the bank switch outs so the correct memory page is loaded but that’s probably a slight simplification :-)

128k snapshots are great for supported multi load games like combat school as all in one load.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

As promised, I've implemented the --tape-start option, to effectively skip blocks at the start of a tape. For example:

$ tap2sna.py --sim-load --tape-start 6 https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/pub/sinclair/games/s/StarWarsV1.tzx.zip starwars.z80
Downloading https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/pub/sinclair/games/s/StarWarsV1.tzx.zip
Extracting Star Wars - Release 1 - Side 1.tzx
Program: STAR WARS 
Fast loading data block: 23755,725
Data (66727 bytes)
Tape finished
Simulation stopped (end of tape): PC=56027
Writing starwars.z80
I've also removed the --accelerator, --no-fast-load, --no-pause and --trace options and made their functionality available via configuration parameters that can be set by the --sim-load-config (or -c) option, as documented here.

By the way, if anyone can find a tape that would benefit from (i.e. not work without) a --tape-end option (to effectively remove blocks from the tail end of the tape), let me know and I'll implement it.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

Apologies in advance to anyone who might have wanted to use --sim-load to produce a pristine snapshot of Gold Mine: It definitely won't work for the foreseeable future.

Why? Well, after the first CODE block has loaded, this line of BASIC is run:

3 LET I=USR 23328: IF I<1200 OR I>3000 THEN RANDOMIZE USR O
And the code at 23328 listens for the pilot tone of the next block on the tape:

23328 LD H,50       ; Detect 50 edges of the pilot tone.
23330 LD BC,0       ; BC will count the port readings.
23333 IN A,(254)    ; Take an initial port reading.
23335 LD L,A        ; Save the current port reading in L.
23336 IN A,(254)    ; Take another port reading.
23338 INC BC        ; Increment the counter.
23339 CP L          ; Detected an edge yet?
23340 JR Z,23336    ; If not, jump back to take another port reading.
23342 DEC H         ; Detected 50 edges yet?
23343 JR NZ,23335   ; Jump back if not.
23345 RET           ; Return to BASIC.
Now, the problem with this code is that it's resident in contended memory, the slowdown effects of which --sim-load does not simulate. So it returns to BASIC with BC=3208, which is too high a value, and triggers the RANDOMIZE USR O (where the variable O equals 0). Sad.

Not sure what anyone else thinks, but I think this is rather bad form on the part of Simon Goodwin to write code like this. If he had a shred of decency he'd release an updated version of Gold Mine without that weird pilot tone check so that everyone could --sim-load it to their heart's content. :D
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

SkoolKid wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:34 pm Apologies in advance to anyone who might have wanted to use --sim-load to produce a pristine snapshot of Gold Mine: It definitely won't work for the foreseeable future.
Good news for anyone who might have wanted to use tap2sna.py to produce a pristine snapshot of Gold Mine from the original TZX: in SkoolKit 9.1 (currently under development), tap2sna.py can enable simulation of contended memory and I/O!

So now this t2s file will create the snapshot you've been waiting for:

https://worldofspectrum.net/pub/sinclair/games/g/GoldMine.tzx.zip
--start 1343
--sim-load-config cmio=1
--sim-load-config first-edge=30000
--sim-load-config in-flags=1
--sim-load-config finish-tape=1
But it turns out that simulating contended memory and I/O isn't good just for Gold Mine: it also enables tap2sna.py to load the TZXs for 1999, Ceasefire, and Quadrados. :dance