Some speccy graphic stuff

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
zx_kel
Drutt

Some speccy graphic stuff

Post by zx_kel »

Hi all, I see there is no presentation thread here.

For short, Im from Spain ;) and I grew up with microcomputers, the zx was my first machine. I never could program very well, So I've always being doing graphics or some music.

I will post here all the stuff related to ZX that I have recently done (some of it, as of last year). Probably have some mistakes as I'm not a speccy expert.

Rygar, tried to make the graphics more similar to the arcade.

Hang-on clone, never finished image.

Again, trying to do a DD2 mockup a bit more similar to the arcade.

Turrican 2, again, left is my try to do the sprite more similar to the amiga version.

Thats all for now, as the other stuff is too old, and a bit too embarrasing :), Regards.
helpcomputer0
Microbot

Re: Some speccy graphic stuff

Post by helpcomputer0 »

Nice work!

You should share your work on zxart, a lot of ZX Spectrum artists there: https://zxart.ee/eng/mainpage/
zx_kel
Drutt

Post by zx_kel »

helpcomputer0 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:58 am Nice work!

You should share your work on zxart, a lot of ZX Spectrum artists there: https://zxart.ee/eng/mainpage/
I will, thanks!!

I found more old stuff.

Golden axe mount sprite and some robocop design xd. Actually, I'm too obsessed with some arcade classics to tell the truth. Every now and then I try to make a zxversion of some arcade. ATM I'm doing some golden axe spriting, more on this later.

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

zx_kel wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:41 am Again, trying to do a DD2 mockup a bit more similar to the arcade.

Nice one - the Speccy version was pretty dire. Double Dragon was one of the games I tried to improve on, back in the day:

Funnily enough, this last week, I've spent a little time on downgrading the arcade graphics to the SAM Coupé. Worked out remarkably well.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
zx_kel
Drutt

Post by zx_kel »

HEXdidnt wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:28 pm Nice one - the Speccy version was pretty dire. Double Dragon was one of the games I tried to improve on, back in the day:

Funnily enough, this last week, I've spent a little time on downgrading the arcade graphics to the SAM Coupé. Worked out remarkably well.
Hey, nice one. That sam coupe one is killer! how is it going?

I have very little time lately, but nothing like relaxing spectrum pixels.

Last time I tried to "remaster" the original golden axe sprites for the zx, this was the result for 2 hours of work(wip) :)

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

zx_kel wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:57 am Hey, nice one. That sam coupe one is killer! how is it going?
It just an exercise in seeing if/how its graphics would work so, beyond a few screenshots, it hasn't really progressed. Prompted a bit of discussion among other SAM users, briefly, with some differing opinions on whether the SAM could actually handle a full game in that style, with or without scrolling, etc. I may finish off the sprites, just for my own amusement.

If I can work up the motivation, I might put together a string of screenshots and turn them into a video for my YouTube channel, but that's a best case scenario.

Speccy Golden Axe is certainly in need of some remastering... Probe did some good work, but that game ain't on the list. I kinda liked how they handled the backgrounds, but the sprites were a mass of nonsense. Have you seen the 2015 modded version?
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
zx_kel
Drutt

Post by zx_kel »

HEXdidnt wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:42 pm It just an exercise in seeing if/how its graphics would work so, beyond a few screenshots, it hasn't really progressed. Prompted a bit of discussion among other SAM users, briefly, with some differing opinions on whether the SAM could actually handle a full game in that style, with or without scrolling, etc. I may finish off the sprites, just for my own amusement.

If I can work up the motivation, I might put together a string of screenshots and turn them into a video for my YouTube channel, but that's a best case scenario.

Speccy Golden Axe is certainly in need of some remastering... Probe did some good work, but that game ain't on the list. I kinda liked how they handled the backgrounds, but the sprites were a mass of nonsense. Have you seen the 2015 modded version?
Yep, doing sprites is so entertaining. I understand, I could never program a thing on the speccy so I do only graphics for now.

About that mod for Golden axe, I didn't know it was for the zx, I thought it was for pc or genesis with the zx aspect!! So I will redo sprites for other games which suffer in that aspect.

Cheers.
zx_kel
Drutt

Post by zx_kel »

Hi people!
Found 2 stupid anims in my old graphics folder.
One is some rygar-esque man and another is an woman-amazon with a walking stick. Really old stuff, but fun. Cheers.

edit. More cheapo stuff from old times.