WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
jetsetdanny
Dizzy

WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE

Post by jetsetdanny »

I am thrilled to announce the release of Carl Paterson’s second Jet Set Willy game: “WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE”.

The Plot

While innocently doing his business in the bathroom Willy looks in the mirror, a sudden flash from a nearby nuclear power plant combined with aliens fighting the drone wars in your loft [so original] create a rip in the space, time continuum.

When your eyes refocus after the flash your still in the bathroom but is it your bathroom? It certainly looks like it but little things are different, who left the cap off the toothpaste? My gaze catches the toilet, hmm it shouldnt be there, wait is it moving? The toilet seat suddenly crashes open and closed and then starts coming towards me, i think it wants to eat me.. My mind wanders to my love, "Maria" i must find her..

Willy must traverse almost 60 rooms of mystery collecting all the items as he goes so he may be reunited with Maria and hopefully return to his own universe, well Maria is an astrophysicist, all that sciency stuff she knows im sure she can get us home in some kind of "magiver" episode ive watched but cant remember the ending..

The game features:

- 61 newly designed rooms;

- New and modified guardian sprites;

- 256 items to collect (yes, they can all be collected without losing a single life! - but it's not easy...);

- A moderate level of difficulty, which won’t put off a novice and won’t bore an expert;

- A new title-screen tune and 18 new in-game tunes, most of which are 128 bytes long and have never been used in a JSW game before;

- A custom-made title screen, custom font and other enhancements;

- Something extra at the completion of the game.

"WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE" can be downloaded from its page on Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community or from its page on JSW Central.

The ZIP file includes the game in TAP and TZX format (this first public release is v. 2), the Readme and info about the game's credits.

Please download, enjoy and share your impressions and feedback! :)

PROCESSED
DH 12/02/23
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks!
jetsetdanny wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:16 pm - A moderate level of difficulty...
:shock:

I'm not sure about that, but there's a lot to like here. I like the inclusion of room-specific features like broken graphics and music on the 'decaying' screen.
jetsetdanny
Dizzy

Post by jetsetdanny »

It is my great pleasure to announce, on behalf of Carl Paterson, the release of Version 3 of his second Jet Set Willy game: “WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE”.

[Version history: v1 - unreleased development version; v2 - released 10th February 2023 - first public release]

This new Version 3 features improvements and enhancements mainly in the area of the in-game music. One brand-new tune has been added. Two in-game tunes have been extended from 64 to 128 bytes long. Some of the tunes have been improved. As a result, the game now features a total of 19 in-game tunes, 18 of which are 128 bytes long (that's twice as long as the tune in the original "JSW"). New code has been added which initiates the in-game tune from the first note if a different tune was playing before Willy entered the current room. If the same tune was already playing, the code ensures the seamless continuation of that particular tune.

Version 3 also runs marginally faster than v. 2 (thanks to the elimination of a redundant instruction copying the contents of the attribute buffer to the attribute file) and has a couple of other minor fixes and modifications, including some changes related to the Writetyper teleportation cheat (but is it really "writetyper"???...).

If you haven't played or completed the game yet, you are strongly advised to play v. 3 to experience these enhanced features. The game can be completed without losing a single life.

“WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE” can be downloaded from its page on Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community or from its page on JSW Central. The ZIP file, available for a completely free download, includes the game in TAP and TZX format (the current version 3 as well as the now historic v. 2), the Readme and info about the game's credits.

Please download, enjoy and share your feedback! :)

And don't take too long, because Carl's third JSW game is scheduled to be released before the end of the year... :D
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

Great fun! Got some gameplay up here :)

jetsetdanny
Dizzy

Post by jetsetdanny »

Thanks, DVDfever! :D
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

jetsetdanny wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:06 pm Thanks, DVDfever! :D
You're very welcome, and thank you, too, for the game! :)