The best Speccy game by Stonechat Productions: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:41 pm

Andy's Escape
No votes
Bauble Blast!
No votes
Bean Brothers
19%
Biscuits in Hell
4%
Capital Cities Tester
No votes
Chrimblast!
No votes
Christmaze
No votes
Colin's Crimbo Caper!
No votes
Curse Of Oddville, The
4%
Chuntey Force 2
No votes
Doodle Bug
No votes
EFMB: Endless Forms Most Beautiful
4%
Genblast
No votes
Home For ZXMas
No votes
Jeremy ZXMan's Speccy Quiz
No votes
Lost Tapes Of Albion, The
No votes
Left Behind - Escape from Mars
No votes
The Lorne Sausage Lawn
No votes
Moderate Retribution
No votes
Mole Rat!
No votes
Nightmairbnb
No votes
OPZ
No votes
Pondoom
No votes
Radioaction
No votes
Rally Fever
No votes
Rally Xmas
No votes
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Pudding, Drop!
No votes
Shuttlebug
7%
Santos' Christmas Adventure
4%
Sixteen Skirmish
4%
Skurff
7%
Sprouty
No votes
Stamp Quest
4%
Stompo, El
37%
Stormfinch
No votes
Sun Bucket
4%
Tardigrade
No votes
WunderCHAR$
No votes
Xmas-oid
No votes
ZX Codewords
4%

Total votes: 27

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

At last, we've hit the post-commercial-life homebrew era and we begin with a software label from one of our own! @R-Tape is the proprietor and likely the sole developer of these 40 games.

You'll remember Stonechat Productions from in the shops, don't you? (Er, this is homebrew stuff, Pete - Ed.) You'd go out to WHSmiths, Boots or Woolworths and you'd see that Stonechat logo with the robin on it (Stop it! - Ed) and you could pick one of theirs, but they did have to compete with rivals Rockgossip Creations, Pebbletalk Originals, Boulderconversation Conceptions (Yes, I see what you're doing here, very droll - Ed), etc. I think it's been going since 2011. Anyway, if you ever wanted to know what the founder/director/MD of Stonechat Productions looks and sounds like, there's this contribution to a Reheated Pixels video about Blackpool Play Expo 2019.

And he may even be along later to tell you how he's voting, like having to select a favourite child!

Andy's Escape

Bauble Blast!

Bean Brothers

Biscuits in Hell

Capital Cities Tester

Chrimblast!

Christmaze

Colin's Crimbo Caper!

Curse Of Oddville, The

Chuntey Force 2

Doodle Bug

EFMB: Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Genblast

Home For ZXMas

Jeremy ZXMan's Speccy Quiz

Lost Tapes Of Albion, The

Left Behind - Escape from Mars

Lorne Sausage Lawn, The

Moderate Retribution

Mole Rat!

Nightmairbnb

OPZ

Pondoom

Radioaction

Rally Fever

Rally Xmas

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Pudding, Drop!

Shuttlebug

Santos' Christmas Adventure

Sixteen Skirmish

Skurff

Sprouty

Stamp Quest

Stompo, El

Stormfinch

Sun Bucket

Tardigrade

WunderCHAR$

Xmas-oid

ZX Codewords
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: The best Speccy game by Stonechat Productions: vote

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks for your time on this Prodge. I think I'll have to abstain, unless a decider is needed...
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Great titles, and great thread as always, Pete. I can't vote as I haven't played them all, but I am a big fan of Bean Brothers :-)
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Yep, every one looks like a lot of fun! I really want to play Skurff and The Curse of Oddville now!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

1. Bean Bros.
2. EFMB
3. Stormfinch
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

1 - Bean Brothers (just an amazing game)
2 - El Stompo (just pipped to the post by Bean Brothers)
3 - Sunbucket

This is a list of some of the best Speccy games out there 👍
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

1. El Stompo
2. Sunbucket
3. Bean Brothers
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I should be extremely biased here because it's the first one of these polls I've actively been involved in, contributing a few examples to ZX Codewords.

But the three that always stick out for me are:

1 - El Stompo (not just for the Nirvana graphics, but that they're recognisable TV logos from the 1980s)
2 - Stormfinch (a horizontal shooter I can actually play for a while because it's not all lost in the background detail)
3 - Shuttlebug! (which helped with a certain diagnosis that is best kept to those who already know, and contains a few effects that my meagre experience with machine code might be able to replicate)

See, if anyone ever says "why should I bother with modern games?", there's three examples - and the Retrosouls poll will have even more.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

I've probably played about half of them and so far it's Shuttlebug. That kept me playing for hours.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Too many nice pieces of software. I was'nt aware of all the R-Tape production. Can my memory fail, but had "Rock, Paper, Scissors, Pudding, Drop!" a previous demo version made with CharAde?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

+3code wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:02 pm Can my memory fail, but had "Rock, Paper, Scissors, Pudding, Drop!" a previous demo version made with CharAde?
Cheers. No RPS Drop didn't have an earlier version. Maybe one day, but I've yet to create anything substantial or releasable with CharAade.

Are you thinking of my 2014 crap game comp entry, Crap, Tapir, Slippers?
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:29 pm Cheers. No RPS Drop didn't have an earlier version. Maybe one day, but I've yet to create anything substantial or releasable with CharAade.

Are you thinking of my 2014 crap game comp entry, Crap, Tapir, Slippers?
I think I've seen somewhere an old demo of something in CharAde and the screen's general scheme was very similar. The final released game jumped from charade to other system, but I can't remember the title. :(
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1 Skurff
2 El Stompo
3 EFMB
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I still haven't given a top three, or even voted in the main phpBB poll. That's because I don't feel confident having only played a handful of the forty games here. I mean, Bean Brothers is good, but you lot do like El Stompo.

There's one thing that'll fix this.

A live stream of Stonechat Productions games, starting from 8pm UK time tomorrow (Friday) evening!

Yes, I'll be over at https://twitch.tv/ReheatedPixels playing and live reviewing them all. It'll take 3-4 hours if I spend about 5 minutes on each one, which probably isn't enough, but better than nothing.

It's been an age since I streamed so I've done some testing and just about ready to go for tomorrow night. See you there.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Bean Brothers - I love the the team work element of this platformer
2. El Stompo
3. The Curse Of Oddville
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:53 pm Yes, I'll be over at https://twitch.tv/ReheatedPixels playing and live reviewing them all. I
Cripes that's dedication Prodge. I'll swing by occasionally—there's a few that are less polished than others that could be fun to watch.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Right, if you've seen my Twitch stream, I've really enjoyed a lot of this. A galaxy of riches, and yes, some ignorable turkeys, but there are about ten games that the full price labels would have given their right arms for to publish back in the day.

I can now make a really informed decision (well, alright, most were played for around five minutes each, but I have played them all!) that my top three are:

1) El Stompo - yeah, there's a reason why this is currently leading the poll. Immense fun.
2) Sunbucket - very very closely following El Stompo, like a spiritual sequel or spin-off of it? This is Rod Land but way better!
3) Bean Brothers - what I'd have voted for had I not properly dug into all the Stonechat games. A 2D Head Over Heels, but actually better than Head Over Heels.

It's been immense fun. Here's the Twitch stream playback, and I'm literally streaming me typing all this right now. I'll go back and edit and place all that once this stream is terminated!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:38 pm my top three are:

1) El Stompo - yeah, there's a reason why this is currently leading the poll. Immense fun.
2) Sunbucket - very very closely following El Stompo, like a spiritual sequel or spin-off of it? This is Rod Land but way better!
3) Bean Brothers - what I'd have voted for had I not properly dug into all the Stonechat games. A 2D Head Over Heels, but actually better than Head Over Heels.
Hey that's my top3 too!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Just watched the stream through (a good accompaniment to a morning's data processing at work). Nearly 4 hours streaming till midnight must have been perfect preparation for Parkrun.

I was surprised how much you enjoyed the Lorne Sausage Lawn and Radioaction!, and doubly surprised at the total rejig of your votes. Ta for taking the time - from a spectator's point of view I enjoyed seeing the quizzes most, and realising I'd forgotten all the capital cities I'd drummed into my head while making Capital Cities Tester.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:04 am Just watched the stream through (a good accompaniment to a morning's data processing at work). Nearly 4 hours streaming till midnight must have been perfect preparation for Parkrun.
Well, it was rather an underpar performance in Oxford this morning, but I am in the middle of a gruelling keto diet!
R-Tape wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:04 amI was surprised how much you enjoyed the Lorne Sausage Lawn and Radioaction!
Yeah, I don't think those would be in anyone's favourites but I think they have a lot of charm. I do like a lot of silly low-effort-programmed games that clearly aren't going to have a triple-A feel. It's why I'm loyal to the 8-bits.
R-Tape wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:04 amand doubly surprised at the total rejig of your votes.
Well, it's the scientist principle. When presented with new evidence... not that I'm saying this is rocket science, although I did fly spaceship last night.
R-Tape wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:04 amTa for taking the time - from a spectator's point of view I enjoyed seeing the quizzes most, and realising I'd forgotten all the capital cities I'd drummed into my head while making Capital Cities Tester.
I woke up this morning realising I had accidentally omitted one game! Yep, it was 39 games in that stream, because I skipped over Christmaze! I did give it a little go before leaving the house, it's actually okay, but wouldn't be top three, wouldn't even be in my top ten, so I'm not changing anything.

I'm wondering what your favourite games of your own output are, although you said you'd only have a say if there was a tie. Well, that's not really likely to happen now.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Well, whack my telly, it's El Stompo that wins, with 10 votes.

In second place, with 5 votes, it's Bean Brothers.

Joint third place goes to Shuttlebug and Skruff, with 2 votes each.

The games that got 1 vote each: Biscuits In Hell; The Curse Of Oddville; EFMB: Endless Forms Most Beautiful; Santos' Christmas Adventure; Sixteen Skirmish; Stamp Quest; Sun Bucket and ZX Codewords.

And here are the proportional results:

Stompo, El 15
Bean Brothers 11
Sun Bucket 5
EFMB: Endless Forms Most Beautiful 3
Skurff 3
Stormfinch 3
Curse Of Oddville, The 1
Shuttlebug 1

But what were @R-Tape's favourites?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks to everyone that voted. This has been a really nice reminder that I did some decent stuff, and it's given me a boost to get developing again.
PeteProdge wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:58 am But what were @R-Tape's favourites?
Tricky. I have two lists.

This is my 'heart over head' list. Basically it's the projects that I'm especially fond of based on my experience of making them and where they occurred during My Spectrum Journey:

1 - The Lost Tapes of Albion
2 - Shuttlebug
3 - Stamp Quest

And here is me trying to be objective:

1 - El Stompo
2 - Bean Brothers
3 - Sprouty

Though I'm very fond of these games too of course.