Feed Audio into an emulator

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Feed Audio into an emulator

Post by PeterJ »

I recently passed my Foundation Radio amateur exam.here in the UK, and want to try some of the radio software in the archive.

Do any emulators support the playing of a WAV file or MP3 through a simulated MIC socket. Not for loading, but for playing whilst a program is running? I want to test some CW and RTTY recordings.

Thanks

Peter M7EFU
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Re: Feed Audio into an emulator

Post by flatduckrecords »

Congratulations @PeterJ!

ZXSP does that quite well but it’s macOS only.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

It... is... are... raining... not. Good, very good! It is are raining not here also. And could you send a tray of bread and butter pudding to Kuala Lumpur?

Can't help with a non-Mac emulator, unfortunately. Everything I can think of only takes an audio input for loading purposes. I'd be interested to hear of such a thing, though, as the ability to capture a low-bitrate audio sample is something I might need, and I haven't been able to do that since all my tapes from my youth perished in the move out of Essex in 2000. I remember it was one of the first machine code programs I tried, but can't remember where I saw the listing. It may well have been INPUT, but no guarantees.

This is GLK London signing off.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @flatduckrecords and@TMD2003. As I don't own a Mac I will have a go with audio cables between my +3 and PC.

Roger out and 73s
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

ten-four, good buddy
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Spin and Specemu should do this from live input.
Fuse can use a wav.

The main thing is to disable all auto/speed loading aids so they don't interfere with what you're doing.
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

On my old PC I typed in an audio sampler and was able to shout into the microphone and the Spectrum picked it up (via "load from audio source" in Spectaculator.) So it was possible. When I try on my new PC though, it never picks up any sound though.

It's how I did the "I am the God of Hellfire" bit in "Forest Fire".
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

FIRE 🔥

Not an audio sampler as such but I did a sound-to-light inspired thing for the Woot Sunday Supplement. It was thrown together last-minute but the idea was you could play sound into the Speccy and the Dizzy band (of Kwik Snax fame) would jam along. Sort of.

Christmas music… or a Nada Surf tape is fine if that’s all that’s immediately to hand.

Keen to hear how you get on @PeterJ. Are these new recordings you’ve made? Do you plan to hook up the radio directly and operate it “live” from the Spectrum?