Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later.

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later.

Post by 1024MAK »

I’m getting an error message:
This when trying to use the “Active topics” from the drop down menu.

Screenshot below:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later.

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @1024MAK,

Unfortunately we had what looks like to my untrained eyes to be another denial of service attack. The easiest way I have found to sort this is to stop the web-server and database to kill the connections, enable attack mode on Cloudflare, then restart the web-server and database.

Everyone will have a JavaScript prompt for a while.

This is the last six hours....

1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later.

Post by 1024MAK »

Yeah, had no problems earlier today (this morning).

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:15 pm Yeah, had no problems earlier today (this morning).
Indeed, issues only started at 13:00
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Forgot to say, search etc, is all working okay again.

“There are four lights!”
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:10 pm Unfortunately we had what looks like to my untrained eyes to be another denial of service attack. The easiest way I have found to sort this is to stop the web-server and database to kill the connections, enable attack mode on Cloudflare, then restart the web-server and database.
@PeterJ - Is this "attack mode" what's now preventing me from downloading TAP/TZX zip archives from the site? For example:

Code: Select all

$ wget https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/pub/sinclair/games/c/CaseyJones.tzx.zip
--2023-02-18 14:55:15--  https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/pub/sinclair/games/c/CaseyJones.tzx.zip
Resolving spectrumcomputing.co.uk (spectrumcomputing.co.uk)... 172.64.80.1, 2606:4700:130:436c:6f75:6466:6c61:7265
Connecting to spectrumcomputing.co.uk (spectrumcomputing.co.uk)|172.64.80.1|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2023-02-18 14:55:15 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
I get the same 403 response when I try to download anything with SkoolKit's tap2sna.py, which makes testing t2s files a bit difficult.

Is there a specific user agent string I can use to work around this? (I've tried a couple already with no success.)
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@SkoolKid,

Possibly. I will turn the attack mode off on Sunday morning (assuming traffic has reduced to normal) and will PM you. Just let me know if you still have issues.

You can only download one game file every 10 seconds. This is to reduce scraping (I think that's the right word).
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:10 pm This is the last six hours....
That looks quite CPU painful :( , I saw it go off while you were restarting it.
PeterJ wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:06 pm ... This is to reduce scraping (I think that's the right word)
Yes, or leeching.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks for handling Peter. This stuff sounds like a right pain in the arse.
PeterJ wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:06 pm You can only download one game file every 10 seconds. This is to reduce scraping (I think that's the right word).
Overzealous spectrumming.