Modern methods of saving BASIC programs

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Re: Modern methods of saving BASIC programs

Post by Sparky »

For people outside the UK, getting a DivMmc is almost impossible due to Brexit, and until they iron things out. Even ebay sellers have stopped selling them to the EU.
I found one at thefuturewas8bit, but the only shipping option is DHL and costs £43!!
Alex
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Err, not all the sellers are in the U.K., some are elsewhere in the EU.

BREXIT is a right royal pain in the behind, but at least there is a trade deal, so it’s not as bad as it could have been. But let’s not talk politics here.

Just after Christmas is probably not the best time to be a buyer, as most of the interfaces and add-ons/expansions are made by individual people. The very same people are likely to have enjoyed time off during the holiday period.

Keep looking, it may take a while for production to catch up with demand.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Are you happy to go with divIDE [mention]Sparky[/mention]?

If so, maybe this may be cheaper postage as he is based in Poland?

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=287

You could also contact Zaxon. He does a very nice divMMC device that I have. He regularly lists them (They are not listed currently though):

https://www.sellmyretro.com/user/profile/zaxon

You can see my review here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2763
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:09 pm Keep looking, it may take a while for production to catch up with demand.

Mark
I think also with ByteDelight pretty much stopping production that probably increases prices and availability of other similar devices.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

Jbizzel wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 am The divide or similar device with the latest esxdos is surely the best modern was to use the spectrum.
It was 15 years ago.
Spectranet or something like a 1Bis is a lot nicer and easier to use.
( or even a Spectrum NEXT )
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

p13z wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:54 pm
Jbizzel wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 am The divide or similar device with the latest esxdos is surely the best modern was to use the spectrum.
It was 15 years ago.
Spectranet or something like a 1Bis is a lot nicer and easier to use.
( or even a Spectrum NEXT )
I tend to agree with you. I know the divMMC is the most popular device, but some games need adaptations to work with them. I use the 1Bis most of the time.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

To understand the ByteDelight situation, watch this video.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:33 pm To understand the ByteDelight situation, watch this video.

Mark
Thanks [mention]1024MAK[/mention],

I subscribe to his newsletter, and follow him on FB so understand the situation. I'm sure once he gets settled into his new job he will produce more. Just depends how much spare time he gets I suppose.
bytesguy
Drutt

Post by bytesguy »

flatduckrecords wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:42 pm @bytesguy Remy Sharp has a web based tool for converting between plain text and “+3DOS” (i.e. the format created by SAVE* under esxDOS) that I’ve found really useful.

I supports Next BASIC, but I haven’t had any problems using it with Sinclair BASIC. The webpage will work offline, but if you are familiar with Node/npm you can install it locally as a command line interface as well.
Ah thanks good shout, might be a good method!
PeterJ wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:10 pm Are you happy to go with divIDE [mention]Sparky[/mention]?

If so, maybe this may be cheaper postage as he is based in Poland?

You could also contact Zaxon. He does a very nice divMMC device that I have. He regularly lists them (They are not listed currently though):

https://www.sellmyretro.com/user/profile/zaxon

You can see my review here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2763
I have a divmmc "future" device but never really got round to using it - I assume this is similar to other divmmc devices?

Also I have a Spectrum Next - looks like there is a way of having divmmc type fictionality there too though I honestly haven't had much time to play with the device!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Yes, all divMMC devices have the same core functions, extras may include joystick ports, multiple SD card slots and built in sound controllers.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Sparky wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:52 pm For people outside the UK, getting a DivMmc is almost impossible due to Brexit, and until they iron things out. Even ebay sellers have stopped selling them to the EU.
I found one at thefuturewas8bit, but the only shipping option is DHL and costs £43!!
This came up on Sell My Retro. It ships from Poland:

https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/43922
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I just bought one of these and it's excellent.

Gives you 2 joystick ports and ay sound for your 48k takes. Well worth the money if you ask me.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:08 pm

Is that a DivMmc?
Alex
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:43 pm https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=287

I just bought one of these and it's excellent.

Gives you 2 joystick ports and ay sound for your 48k takes. Well worth the money if you ask me.
Where did you find CFs? I thought they'd been replaced by SD cards
Alex
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Yes [mention]Sparky[/mention], divMMC
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

There are a few options, so best to start with what you want to do. The two main options are, save to removable media then transfer to PC or read/write direct to pc. My world is all interlinked from ZX - PC - EMULATOR - ZX. Not all TAP and TZX game files from this site and others will load direct from my PC to the Spectrum so I go via an Emulator, my method here is from Emulator Microdrive to vxdrive which both support the same MDF format. The other question to research is hardware clash, does the peripheral your adding clash with any current or future purchases I.e. ZX printer or Multiface 1. Does it support pass through so you can add more interfaces? There are a lot of very talented and dedicated individuals who have created some fantastic kit but there are often compromises and sometimes to get from a - c you need to go via x and y :-)
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

Sparky wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:10 pm
PeterJ wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:08 pm

Is that a DivMmc?
I bought it and waiting for it to arrive!
Alex
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Great [mention]Sparky[/mention],

Can you do review when it arrives?

I should be on commission! (Obviously, I'm not)
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

I'll definitely review it!
Alex
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Not strictly on topic, but Fuse allows you to save a BASIC listing to a text file, if you turn on printer emulation and use the LLIST command.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:43 pm Not strictly on topic, but Fuse allows you to save a BASIC listing to a text file, if you turn on printer emulation and use the LLIST command.
I always find that the listing will be full of line breaks doing it this way. It will work, though, just get ready to be well acquainted with the delete key.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
+3code

Post by +3code »

TMD2003 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:36 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:43 pm Not strictly on topic, but Fuse allows you to save a BASIC listing to a text file, if you turn on printer emulation and use the LLIST command.
I always find that the listing will be full of line breaks doing it this way. It will work, though, just get ready to be well acquainted with the delete key.
You can too save a .sna (snapshot) file and open it with BASIn (and then save the BASIC listing as text).
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

What version of BASin are you using for that? The one I have is BASin For Beginners - not that I am a beginnerm, as everyone should be aware, but it's got a very different editor from any regular Spectrum emulator which I'm used to now - and if I try to load anything other than a .BAS file or tape image with one BASIC program on it, the listing will be corrupted beyond recognition.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

I just print on my timex sinclair 2040 then scribble on it :geek:
+3code

Post by +3code »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:23 pm What version of BASin are you using for that? The one I have is BASin For Beginners - not that I am a beginnerm, as everyone should be aware, but it's got a very different editor from any regular Spectrum emulator which I'm used to now - and if I try to load anything other than a .BAS file or tape image with one BASIC program on it, the listing will be corrupted beyond recognition.
I use the BasinC 1.69, simply drag & drop the .sna file to the BasinC editor and works fine (to me).