The latest ZXDB database update will be applied today at 1530 BST. The site goes down for around 30 minutes whilst this happens.

Sprite rotated in 16 positions

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Re: Sprite rotated in 16 positions

Post by Sol_HSA »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:45 pm Nice one Sol. I don't know how much work it would take, but if anyone fancies turning this into a utility for non-coders*, I'd owe them a pint!

*or perhaps rather people like me that can code z80 asm and speccy BASIC, but never took C beyond the fahrenheit to celsius converter, and then swiftly forgot even that.
It's a commandline tool. Give it a picture and how many frames the rotation should take, it pukes out .png files (and a .gif animation). I can put a windows binary somewhere if that helps? =)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Sol_HSA wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:51 am I can put a windows binary somewhere if that helps? =)
In your own Github page, you can click on "Releases", "create a new release", then upload the binary.

This way, your compiled binary will be available together with the source code that generated it, with a proper tag.

This will be the easier way for users to find it.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Yes please to the binary @Sol_HSA. It might help.

I really must learn about useful computers one day...
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

Sorry for the delay @R-Tape , I added a few features =)

https://github.com/jarikomppa/spriterot ... al_release
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Sol_HSA wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:33 pm Sorry for the delay @R-Tape , I added a few features =)
Cheers! This is great - it makes it easy and quick to get a framework to clean up. Here's an example of a simple and complicated sprite, obvs the latter needs more cleaning up than the former.

highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

very interesting. I also didn't know you could rotate an area in zx paintbrush - which tool is that?
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

Tweaked it a bit, the output looks a bit more stable now.

https://github.com/jarikomppa/spriterot ... _stability

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

highrise wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:16 pm very interesting. I also didn't know you could rotate an area in zx paintbrush - which tool is that?
It's near the bottom left of the screen on the icon bar. The little red dot with the arrowed circle around it - when hovered over it's the 'rotate points mode'. When selected, you draw a shape freehand, then when you release the mouse, you can freely rotate it.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Interesting - I just noticed that R-Type sprite demo is getting a full 180° range of rotation from one original image. It only needs two source images, rotated 180°, to do the full rotation. It doesn't require 90° pre-rotations of the original sprite. So if your shearing process can reverse the order of horizontal and vertical slices (a vertical and horizontal mirroring together gives you a 180° rotation), then you only need the one original source image.
https://cohost.org/tomforsyth/post/8918 ... with-three