how do i rip beeper music out of games?

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
Manic Miner

how do i rip beeper music out of games?

Post by 777 »

ive tried to rip the beeper music out of treasure island dizzy 48k, using beepola. unfortunately it doesnt work. ive tried z80 and tap files. also there are some resources for this in the yolkfolk site. there are mod files and sid files, etc. unfortunately im not exactly sure how to use these. i would like to be able to edit the music in a tracker or something like that. any help would be appreciated

https://yolkfolk.com/game-audio/
i started programming the spectrum when i was 8 :-

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Re: how do i rip beeper music out of games?

Post by Lee Bee »

I'm not personally aware of any way to rip music from games into tracker format (AY or Beeper). If there is, I'd REALLY love to know!
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

In general - you can't. Games used different engines to play beeper music.
You need to find code that is used to play music, and music data itself. If it is ingame (not main menu) music, then code is hardly tied to a game cycle with keyboard listening procedure, sprite drawing, etc.

But. Sometimes it is possible. For example, Beepola have some kind of ripper, so you can extract music, created with Wham! music box.
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Lee Bee wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:45 pm I'm not personally aware of any way to rip music from games into tracker format (AY or Beeper). If there is, I'd REALLY love to know!
I ripped many of AY music back in time. Unfortunately, do not remember what soft was used.
For sure, most were PT/ASM modules from tr-dos intros, and these indeed were located mostly manually in disassembler.

P.S.
Many ZX tunes with palyer can be found on Sergey Bulba's site, with player for Windows.
Last edited by Bedazzle on Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

Bedazzle wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:29 pm In general - you can't. Games used different engines to play beeper music.
You need to find code that is used to play music, and music data itself. If it is ingame (not main menu) music, then code is hardly tied to a game cycle with keyboard listening procedure, sprite drawing, etc.

But. Sometimes it is possible. For example, Beepola have some kind of ripper, so you can extract music, created with Wham! music box.
ok, so what about the music that is available for download in yolkfolk.com? surely i could use some of these to emulate the 1 bit dac sound found on a spectrum?

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

777 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:35 pm ok, so what about the music that is available for download in yolkfolk.com? surely i could use some of these to emulate the 1 bit dac sound found on a spectrum?
Music in mp3 format can be created from any emulator. :)
Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

Bedazzle wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:39 pm Music in mp3 format can be created from any emulator. :)
i dont mean it like that. i mean using the note information in a mod file, etc to recreate the sound found in a spectrum. is there a tracker that will do this?

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

777 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:50 pm i dont mean it like that. i mean using the note information in a mod file, etc to recreate the sound found in a spectrum. is there a tracker that will do this?
For beeper - try to rip with Beepola.
For AY - I do not remeber program name, but it was for sure run on real ZX.
Maybe it was Universal Sounds Finder v1.9 by Survivor'97 ?
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

For AY, common method is to capture the register writes (typically once per frame) - no information about the playback engine needed.

Beeper works in a completely different way, so unless you either reverse engineer the playback engine (with or without prior knowledge of whether it's a common one or custom), the mp3 option is most likely the most realistic one.