Where did the music from treasure island dizzy come from? Is it a classical piece?

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
Manic Miner

Where did the music from treasure island dizzy come from? Is it a classical piece?

Post by 777 »

I've had a look at Google and yolfolk.com but can't find any references
i started programming the spectrum when i was 8 :-

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: Where did the music from treasure island dizzy come from? Is it a classical piece?

Post by AndyC »

It was written by David Whittaker for Treasure Island Dizzy, as far as I am aware.

Most games of that era had music composed purely for the games.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Where did the music from treasure island dizzy come from? Is it a classical piece?

Post by Ralf »

It's takes its inspirations from "tropical music" like Carribean or Hawaiian but seems to be an original composition.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

IMHO I'd say it's definitely an original piece written by David Whittaker, since it has all the hallmarks of his writing style, like the descending triplets heard in the melody—these feature in other Whittaker tunes of the time, including the original Dizzy game, and the BMX Freestyle title screen.

The chord progression between 1 and 6 is also something Whittaker used in games such as ATV Simulator. Not to mention liberal use of key change, which is classic Whittaker! :D

Inspiration

As for the song's inspiration, I don't personally hear too much Carribean influence, if any. The rhythm is very mechanical and tight, with no emphasis on the off-beat, so to me it sounds traditional British. Some of the background instruments do have a tremolo effect, which could suggest the tinkling of a steel drum, at a push. Though to me this sounds more like a bubbling sound, suggestive of Dizzy being underwater. (Then again, I'm not sure the effect was even deliberate as its appearance in the song is inconsistent.)

IMHO, the biggest inspiration for the track comes from traditional British folk music, particularly sea shanties (a well-known example being Drunken Sailor, though that song isn't in the 6:8 time signature like Treasure Island Dizzy).

A great example of the sea shanty in popular entertainment is The Pirates of Penzance opera from 1879, which features a couple of numbers that evoke the general feeling of Treasure Island Dizzy (with the same time signature), including Pour, Oh, Pour and The Pirate King (this tune would go on to be the inspiration for the 1920s theme tune for Popeye, which itself has certain jolly musical similarities to Treasure Island Dizzy.

Another example of the sea shanty in popular entertainment is the 1960s Disney song A Pirate's Life For Me from the Pirates of the Carribean ride. This ride would, in turn, inspire the Monkey Island franchise, which features the Carribean-influenced sea shanty Ghost Ship Shuffle.

I could be wrong, but I feel there's a Celtic influence behind Treasure Island Dizzy. I can totally hear it being played with an Irish whistle, accordion, and lots of foot-stamping and clapping, similar to music like this.

David Whittaker, if you're reading this, please do get in touch and tell us about your creative process! We love your music! :-)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Lee Bee wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:27 am (a well-known example being Drunken Sailor)
Oh, my god, what have you done? I don’t even need to click the link; a mere mention of that chantey ensures that that earworm will be firmly stuck in my head for the rest of the day (at least). “Earlay in the mornin’ . . .” :o
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:22 am Oh, my god, what have you done? I don’t even need to click the link; a mere mention of that chantey ensures that that earworm will be firmly stuck in my head for the rest of the day (at least). “Earlay in the mornin’ . . .” :o
I'm usually whistling this chant when I'm wiping the floor.

Another track by David Whittaker is the Zombi tune. Great stuff.
POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle