ZX Spectrum gfx as animated gifs [continued]

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
ZXnibbs
Drutt

ZX Spectrum gfx as animated gifs [continued]

Post by ZXnibbs »

My ever flowing urge to find as many ZX Spectrum graphics that I remember but as animated .gifs continues as I still LOVE one of my monitors showing em off on a screensaver. There are just so many amazing main characters, enemies and general screen animations that the mind boggles! You all may be aware of my other 'similar' viewtopic.php?t=5868 posts that are a massive celebration of the gfx that have been achieved on our humble Speccy.

Well for this post its the characters not the loading screen$ I'd like to ask about. I routinely search the web for them and sometimes come up trumps in small steps like https://www.spriters-resource.com/zx_spectrum/ which does seem to have lots as reference.

ImageImageImage

I'd be ok making an animated gif of the various characters and its amazing that there are dumps/reference for me to go back but no idea what program I could use to create them? (I'm using an iMac which i know complicates things)

Anyone know of any cool online places to find em or somewhere/how I can make em?
© 1973 The Nev
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Spectrum gfx as animated gifs [continued]

Post by Bedazzle »

Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

And from several LR clones and remixes:

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

ZXnibbs wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:21 pm I'd be ok making an animated gif of the various characters and its amazing that there are dumps/reference for me to go back but no idea what program I could use to create them? (I'm using an iMac which i know complicates things)

Anyone know of any cool online places to find em or somewhere/how I can make em?
Well, assuming Photoshop is off the table, Aseprite is available for MacOs, and is quite good.

There also appears to be a range of online GIF makers - search 'free GIF maker'. Not sure how easy they would be to use, as it seems most of 'em want you to upload a sequence of images.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
ZXnibbs
Drutt

Post by ZXnibbs »

Thanks for the replies fellas :)

Image Image

Image Image

Using Preview on the iMac and copy and pasting each frame from some of those sprite sheets seems to produce ok results. Seems to help if I can find them with the boundaries of each 'frame' shown..

Like this sprite sheet (Red box outlines) >>

I guess what I could try and work out for these walking animations is how best to create a looping version of it that walks across the screen.. but I'm guessing that would be a lot of work. Let's play :)
© 1973 The Nev
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I did this one for the forum: :dance