Mike Singleton's Treachery

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Mike Singleton's Treachery

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

1984 type-in from the late, great, Mike Singleton. A bit of a boardgame/computer game hybrid, with the Spectrum being the "umpire". And I act out parts. And look at how the music works. And make some possible improvements!

I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Re: Mike Singleton's Treachery

Post by flatduckrecords »

Phenomenal work, Agent Snorkers! 8-)
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

Only the best would do for Mike Singleton! He does tell you to do stuff that doesn't quite work. Save the location DATA to tape and then LOAD it doesn't QUITE work, as he used Z$ as part of the "building the flag" string, which happens AFTER the location stuff.

So in my code you start, jump forward to the location stuff, then BACK and do the flag stuff. Not the end of the world mind, but confusing when you try to LOAD "" DATA z$ or something and it goes "I can't let you do that Dave..."

:)
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Very astute Agent Fortywhatsit. No brain bombs went off around you!

Deliberate mistake, old chap. Make sure you’re paying attention. Root out the double agents, eh what!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

From the thread title, I was expecting a juicy scandal of some kind.
mjwilson
Dizzy

Post by mjwilson »

I have distant memories of my brother and I taking turns to type in one of the longer listings, but accidentally ended up saving it to tape incorrectly, and having to give up on the program because neither of us were willing to start from scratch.

I haven't watched the full video yet but scanning over the start of it makes me wonder whether it could have been "Treachery"...
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

mjwilson wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:08 pm I have distant memories of my brother and I taking turns to type in one of the longer listings, but accidentally ended up saving it to tape incorrectly, and having to give up on the program because neither of us were willing to start from scratch.

I haven't watched the full video yet but scanning over the start of it makes me wonder whether it could have been "Treachery"...
It's heartbreaking when I do this now, and I've got snapshots and that....back in the day, on a rubber keyboard... so much worse.