Youthful pie-in-the-sky: a Ghostbusters game

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Youthful pie-in-the-sky: a Ghostbusters game

Post by HEXdidnt »

Dug out from my collection of Speccy tapes and transferred over to my SAM Coupé for ease of access, here are a few bits and bobs from a very rough game design I put together in my teens. Probably put together around the time Ghostbusters II was in the cinema, it was an attempt at remaking and expanding upon the original Activision game, adding a Gargoyle Games-style 2D walking-through-buildings section and a sideways driving section seemingly based upon the Batmobile section from Ocean's Batman movie tie-in.

I reckon I worked on this on and off over the course of several years, variously calling it 'Ghostbusters: The Arcade Adventure' and 'The Four Ghostbusters', and using a hell of a lot of placeholder graphics from other games, because most of my own at the time looked terrible. Weirdly, I think the majority of the ghosts came from the Scooby Doo game published by Elite.

A very basic loading screen. The Ghostbusters themselves were adapted from the main character sprite from Barbarian by Palace Software. I was reasonably pleased with the way they looked at the time - each one distinct, even down to their waistline, despite being in uniform and, for some reason, all the same height. Winston wasn't very well done, though.

Quite proud of this: I hand-drew this in pencil on a Pixel Pad, using the a photo from the movie novelisation as reference, then painstakingly transferred it to the Speccy in The Artist II. Colouring's a bit rubbish, and I'm not sure I can forgive myself for using default fonts, but I was young and foolish... and only really turned into a font nerd in my 20s/30s because of my job.

Much like the Activision game, but side-on, and with the containment unit visible in the background. I think the idea was that the roof rack would get filled out as you add more equipment, but not sure what my plan was for indicating number of traps, other than the text in the top left corner... Needed a bit more development, I think. The printout section in the panel at the bottom was intended to add a sort of running commentary to the game, both explaining what needs doing at each stage, and remarking on the players' performance.

This seemed like a good idea at the time - an isometric 3D map... but it wouldn't have been very practical, and didn't have as many potential locations for supernatural activity as the overhead map in the original game. Plus, my attempt at drawing the 'coast' at the top looks awful, The repeating building was lifted from an existing Spectrum game (can't remember which), and the ghost icon is basically the sprite from the Speccy version of the original Activision game.

On thing I didn't like about the original game was that the overhead view of the car was so huge, it look up a massive chunk of the screen, and didn't let you see very far ahead. My 'solution' was to follow the example of Ocean's Batman game, and have it 2.5D, side-on, the idea being you'd have to actually navigate to the next job rather than driving in a straight line for a certain length of time. Some pretty perfunctory 'pedestrian' sprites and lots of The Artist II's default fills. Probably would have been wise to make the road black, so the attribute blocks of the BRIGHT buildings wouldn't have been evident,

Essentially the same idea as Activision's take on the original game, with marginally improved(?) graphics... At least they're not stick-men. The idea here was that there was a chance of a ghost outside the building, which you'd try to trap before moving inside for the main part of the game. Succeeding would reduce the slime level of the building and reduce the city's overall PK reading.

This is where the game would become like Dun Darach/Tir Na Nog/Marsport: walking through the buildings, following the map to the main haunting on a floor that would have been described in the text readout. Along the way, you'd bust random additional ghosts for extra cash, and to help keep the city's PK reading low, switching between the four Ghostbusters to get at least two to the target location. The part I never quite finished was the switch to a pseudo 3D bit where you face off against the main ghost for that level. I quite like the idea of using BRIGHT 0/1 to add lighting effects, even if it is a bit chunky. Pretty much all the ghosts I used were placeholders, taken from existing games. The Knight in this one was intended to look like the one from Ghouls'n'Ghosts, after the arcade version featured in one of the magazines.

Obviously one of the big disappointments of the original game was that the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man was not much bigger than the stick-man Ghostbuster sprites, so I wanted mine to be absolutely massive... Though even this one is tiny compared to the one from the movie. I had him animated to stomp back and forth, rather than just jumping, with a bit more clearance to sneak the team through the door.

Back to the Gargoyle-style exploration, but in a rather more slime-filled environment - the pink slime being from the second movie, but retconned into this adaptation of the first. The slime hands are lifted from Activision's Ghostbusters II game, the airshaft section at the start. Not sure about the bat... Essentially, this would have been a harder version of the other exploration part, going up the building floor by floor, taking on several sub-boss type ghosts along the way in the pseudo 3D view to get to the next floor.

A rather more active take on the finale of the Activision game, where your surviving Ghostbusters have to cross the streams to destroy Gozer, then close the portal. I think the idea was that you'd switch between the group of three to keep track of Gozer and the terror dogs, and the fourth guy standing on the left, who'd shoot at Mr Stay Puft's hand, reaching up to grab the 'Busters from below. The inconsistency of the staircase and the fact that it doesn't properly align with attribute blocks on a couple of steps really bugs me now... Can't understand why it didn't back then! I never got round to adding detail to the Proton Packs until I transferred the whole concept over to the SAM Coupé, but didn't even get far with it there before moving on to other things.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Re: Youthful pie-in-the-sky: a Ghostbusters game

Post by Lee Bee »

Wow! As a Ghostbusters fan, I love this! Wish somebody had made this into a real game. It looks a million times better than the Activision game we all love to hate!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Lee Bee wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:33 am the Activision game we all love to hate!
Talk for yourself :P I enjoyed Ghostbusters so much back in the day, even if it was rather rough around the edges so to speak. The 128 version with a proper soundtrack is even better :)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:28 am Talk for yourself :P I enjoyed Ghostbusters so much back in the day, even if it was rather rough around the edges so to speak. The 128 version with a proper soundtrack is even better :)
I’m with your there @Alessandro . My mate and me used to spend ages playing the original game. A very good example of ‘good graphics do not a great game make’
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:28 am Talk for yourself :P I enjoyed Ghostbusters so much back in the day, even if it was rather rough around the edges so to speak.
Well I said "love to hate" because I do have a fondness for the game and played it a great deal, despite it being poor IMHO.
Alessandro wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:28 am The 128 version with a proper soundtrack is even better :)
Isn't it amazing what a difference music makes! The 128k version music was pretty good, and provided a nice in-game soundtrack that made the game fun. Unfortunately, I had the 48k version, which had no music except for the utterly dreadful title screen music. So that made a huge difference to how much I enjoyed the game.

Another great version of the Ghostbusters theme is the one in Ghostbusters II! Shame that one doesn't play in-game. Finally, there's František Fuka's version which I think it's the best AY version of the tune made so far. Hopefully I'll get round to doing my own version someday! :-)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

This looks great! Much better than the first official version.
You may really feel proud of yourself.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

All of a sudden I felt that excitement from back in the day, when good game graphics appeared in magazines and I hoped I'd have those games one day.