A Bit of Ancient History: Reckless Rufus

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

A Bit of Ancient History: Reckless Rufus

Post by HEXdidnt »

Way back in 1991/2, I'd been posting tapes full of my ZX Spectrum SCREEN$ artwork to every UK games publisher I could find an address and contact name for (making some truly cringe-inducing mistakes along the way!), in the hope of getting a graphic design gig once I finished my A-Levels and left school. Not the best timing, as most of those publishers were more interested in the 16-bit platforms by that point, but I did get a call from Alternative Software, with the offer of doing some work on the Spectrum conversion of Mike Berry's C64 game 'Reckless Rufus' (original title: 'Awesome Dude'). I was put in touch with the coder, Paul Griffiths, and sent a VHS tape containing gameplay footage of the C64 game, because I didn't have access to a C64 (like the software publishers, most of my mates had upgraded to the Amiga or the ST by this point).

Essentially, that tape had to be the basis of all my work... which seemed fine at the time but, in retrospect, I think a big contributing factor in how little of my work actually made it into the game - and, for that matter, how incomplete the Speccy version seems to be in comparison - was that certain elements just never came up in the footage I had access to. Some of the tiles didn't appear in the recording, and the purpose of those that did wasn't always clear if they weren't actively triggered... Several tiles in the C64 version are almost identical in appearance, but behave very differently when stepped on. So, while I did redesign a lot of the tiles, some of Paul's original material had to remain because I wasn't able to provide replacements. Additionally, while all the Speccy sprites are 16x16px, I didn't take sprite masking into account - I think I should have kept everything within 14x14px, but that didn't occur to me at the time.

Image Image
Left: original material supplied by PG. Right: my finalised versions of the tiles within the not-quite-final panel

Image Image
Left: the absolute final Rufus sprite and my final version of the panel (not quite what made it into the game). Right: PG's sprites, including his initial draft of Rufus, plus the sprites of mine that didn't make the cut on the far right.

The extremely funny 'joke' about Rufus being final "until the next ones" is kind of embarrassing... because I still have an annoying tendency to nit-pick my work. There's a project I've been working on for the SAM Coupé since mid/late 2018, which we're hoping to finish this year, and I've supplied dozens and dozens of extremely minor revisions to a lot of the sprites, which must have driven to coder barmy at times.

Of all the sprites that didn't get used, I'm most disappointed about the robot cat head, as I was really proud of it. It's not a perfect replica of the C64 version, but I reckon it's cute, and could have worked well.

From the very start, I wanted to get more colour in, because I felt too many Spectrum games were either monochrome or low-colour - for example, in one draft of the tiles, I used 3 colours for the crystal tile, and 2 for several others - but that wasn't to be. I can remember a conversation we had on the phone, regarding the way I'd designed the panel, such that it could only display 10 shots, where Rufus had 14 in the C64 version. Paul was concerned about this, but agreed (reluctantly, perhaps) that it would add to the difficulty of the game. In retrospect, I wish I'd redesigned the panel because, looking at it today, I think it's too scrappy and makes inefficient use of the space. In a way, it was frustrating to have so much screen area left available for the panel, considering the C64 version has everything within a 320x32px bar across the bottom. In another call, he asked if I thought he should include the animated bars from the title screen of the C64 version... For some reason, I thought colour cycling would look better, and I really regret saying that now.

I'm still quite proud of my Rufus sprite, and was so thrilled to see the double-page spread review in Your Sinclair - not to mention the fact that it was a YS Megagame. Also very happy with the font I put together, based on the one from the C64 game. I had designed a second font for the scoreboard, but that ended up using the same font, just at double height. Considering I was paid the princely sum of £250, I did pretty well out of the deal...

A couple of the tapes Paul and I exchanged during the course of development - unearthed in my parents' loft a couple of years back.

It was several years before I actually got to play the game myself (via a Spectrum emulator on the PC!), and I have to admit I was disappointed by how slow it was compared to the C64 version. More recently, I exchanged a few emails with Mike Berry, having discovered that he runs OldSkoolPixels.com, and asked if he had any plans to add some Reckless Rufus merch to his catalogue... Unfortunately not, as he didn't feel Rufus was recognisable enough.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: A Bit of Ancient History: Reckless Rufus

Post by Alessandro »

Thanks for sharing these recollections with us.

Although I only knew about the game when I approached Spectrum emulation in the late 1990s, I quite liked it. In fact I chose it as the most representative game for the Alternative entry in the Spectrumpedia (see Vol. 1, p. 189).
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

I've never played this game before but I have to agree with you the Speccy version is too slow. I don't know why the programmer apparently went for redrawing everything in a buffer and added those unnecessary animated background tiles - in contrast, the C64 could have done them with almost no processor overhead by just changing the "tiles" in the charset, yet it doesn't even do that!

I reckon it could have been a lot faster on the Speccy if he only had updated the parts of the screen where any motion had occured. I mean, there isn't even any actual scrolling in the gameplay so there was no need to redraw it all ... :(

Seeing how despite these shortcomings it still managed to get YS megagame status bestowed upon it just shows the lows the Speccy standards had slipped to - I'm not talking about the graphics/music/gameplay but solely about the sluggishness. This would have ruined the game for me even back then, and nowadays it's precisely these unbearably slow Speccy games I'd never even bother to spend even a minute on. Yeah, sure, you can speed it up in an emulator, but it's a bit of a lame/"cheaty" solution. I only speed up emulated games momentarily to get past long intermissions, you shouldn't need it for actual gameplay.

That said, @HEXdidnt, sorry for this rant, I didn't mean to drag down your thread. Thanks for the detailed writeup and the anecdotes :)
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

No worries @XTM - I have no special attachment to the game, it's just the first (and so far only) commercially published game I've been involved with. Considering how long ago this was, and how little of my stuff ended up in the finished game (unedited, at least), I don't have much ego tied up in it, but I do have fond memories of working on the graphics.

Also, frankly, I'd have to agree with your assessment. Having played the Spectrum version myself, I cannot fathom how it was awarded a Megagame rating, and I'm tempted to wonder if the whole point of the Spectrum and Amstrad versions was to make the C64 original look even better - not that it needed it. I don't know what the rationale was behind the scrolling background, but it's not a feature of the Amstrad version either.

I will say that, in some discussions about a (currently) hypothetical version of Reckless Rufus on another platform, the scrolling background was considered, but ultimately decided against in favour of an experience truer to the C64 version. Given the setting/story of the game, I also wondered about an image of a planet, several screens in size, just a portion of which would be displayed per level, but moving (very slightly) contrary to the direction of Rufus' movement to give a sense of perspective.

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

@Alessandro, thanks for that! I've just had a quick look at the PDF and will look into obtaining a physical copy when I can.

I learned that there was a big feature on Reckless Rufus in RetroGamer a while back, but it was gone from the shelves before I could get my hands on a copy. A friend of mine scanned the article for me, and it turned out they'd used a duplicate copy of a C64 screenshot in place of what was supposed to be the one and only screenshot of the Spectrum version in the article. Much as I don't feel any particular attachment to the game, it was nevertheless disappointing to see such an error in the magazine.

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Dug out the original paper stuff today:

I quite like the alternate crystal, but I'm not sure I ever even included it on one of the tapes I sent the coder...

psychicparrot
Drutt

Post by psychicparrot »

I love reading about things like this! Thanks HEXdidnt.

Regardless of how the whole thing went down in the end, your graphics are beautiful! Those character sprites are full of personality and I really like the border/control panel stuff, as well. Loved seeing the paper versions - looks just as good on paper as they did in the game :) Great stuff!
Check out me games on the itch!

https://psychicparrot.itch.io/