Are there any easy Spanish games?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Are there any easy Spanish games?

Post by bluespikey »

I've just had another go on Sir Fred, and I can't get more than two screens in any direction, despite the game not actively trying to kill you. I can't jump over the boulders, I can't get out of the water, I can't manage to throw the rope coil.

Are there any games from Iberia that could just be played as pleasant exploration games, like Jetset Willy or Cyclone?
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Re: Are there any easy Spanish games?

Post by Andre Leao »

Iberia is not only Spain, but also Portugal. :shock:

I suggest you to try City Connection 128K, for instance.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Apparently some people can complete Bugaboo. God knows how they do it.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Mapsnatch, based on a board game. :mrgreen:
SyX
Drutt

Post by SyX »

Usually the second load of dinamic games are easier. A few examples are the second load from:

* Phantis: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... um/Phantis

* Freddy Hardest:https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... dy_Hardest

But you can find very enjoyables first load as:
* Capitán Trueno:https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/8 ... tan_Trueno

And full games as:
* Comando Tracer:https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/9 ... ndo_Tracer
* Hundra:https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... rum/Hundra

If you like those, I could recommend you a few other games outside of Dinamic, specially from Zigurat/Made in Spain and other small developers.

And of course, speaking about modern spanish games, I should recommend you practically every Mojon Twin game. They are usually very playable.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Comando Tracer is one of the few games that I completed without cheats along with Raid over Moscow, Nether Earth and few others.

Fred (without "Sir") isn't really hard, once you learn how to jump over the rats.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Try the first load of Gonzzalezz (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... Gonzzalezz) or Humphrey (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... m/Humphrey).

Btw: I've ended Bugaboo in all the versions (c64, msx, cps, zx81...), I recommend it.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

Do magazine type-ins count? There were many games that were in BASIC but also many that were in machine code. Some of the games that appeared in Microhobby were the type (no pun intended) where you just explore.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

bluespikey wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:35 pmI've just had another go on Sir Fred, and I can't get more than two screens in any direction, despite the game not actively trying to kill you. I can't jump over the boulders, I can't get out of the water, I can't manage to throw the rope coil.
Sir Fred is an adventure, and some items are randomized. I never went too far, but...
- On the first screen you should find a ham.
- On the right screen (the pool) you may throw the ham into the water, so the piranha don't eat you.
- AFAIR, you should go up from there, then get to the lever on that screen and activate.
- The door on the screen below opens.
- If you survive that, you've got farther than me.

The most irritating thing about Sir Fred is the inertia... you need speed to jump, but you have to think about how much space is needed to stop before falling onto something.
I liked those games a lot. About Freddy Hardest, I must say that the second part is very easy (if you know what to do), but the first part is not that hard (compared to Army and Navy Moves).

That reminds me that the second part of Navy Moves is not that hard... but, again, you should have read the instructions to know what to do.
+3code wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:51 pmTry the first load of Gonzzalezz (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... Gonzzalezz) or Humphrey (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... m/Humphrey).
I've not played Gonzzalezz, but I'd recommend to stay away from anything made by Opera. Most games are brutally hard, except some adventure games (Goody, Dr. Livingstone) that are only hard.

Also, in Humphrey is easy to advance for some levels... but remember that the entire game is 40 levels long so is almost impossible to finish.

In that same category, you should play Mad Mix Game and Rock'n Roller (both by Topo Soft). Again is very easy to advance in Mad Mix Game but you have to finish 15 levels (in the spanish release)... but this game can be finished with some practice. Rock'n Roller is 30 levels long, so is harder to finish.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

zup wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:40 am Also, in Humphrey is easy to advance for some levels... but remember that the entire game is 40 levels long so is almost impossible to finish.
For sure not, I've finished it a few times, without pokes, it's a very enjoyable game :D
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Saimazoom & Babaliba are simple but very playables. Are my favourites from Dinamic.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

bluespikey wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:35 pm I've just had another go on Sir Fred, and I can't get more than two screens in any direction, despite the game not actively trying to kill you. I can't jump over the boulders, I can't get out of the water, I can't manage to throw the rope coil.
I've tried sir Fred so many so many times. I thought it was just me that couldn't manage to do anything on it. If the game was easy to control there would hardly be a game to play perhaps.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

+3code wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:07 pmFor sure not, I've finished it a few times, without pokes, it's a very enjoyable game :D
I don't remember if it was level 12 or 13, where there was an "off" tile followed by four "electric" tiles separated by gaps. I thought it was a bug, because there is no time to jump from tile to tile to the other side before the tiles went on again... I guess there was a trick to make it.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Try Astro Marine Corps. That's pretty easy. It has fantastic music too.
TheMartian
Microbot

Post by TheMartian »

Let's see:
- Spirits, by Topo Soft, once you know the map is easy. Because of the random placement of the objects some games are easier than others.
- I haven't seen anybody here mention La Abadía del Crimen (look for the unofficial The Abbey of Crime for the English version). It follows the novel and the film (The Name of the Rose) quite closely, so it's just a matter of figuring out where the objects are and when to get them. The labyrinth is quite tough, but with a map in a couple of games you can find the way through it. You can also save the game to memory, just in case.
- West Bank is difficult to finish, but the mechanics are easy to understand and is quite fun to play.
CaptainKrenon
Drutt

Post by CaptainKrenon »

It's funny because back in the day I thought that Spectrum games were difficult in general, but I didn't think that the Spanish ones were particularly more difficult than the rest. I only saw the "Spanish games are difficult" meme when I read it on an English magazine.

Anyway, here are some examples or normal/easy games, I finished most of them:

- Astro Marine Corps
- Capitan Trueno
- Comando Tracer
- Dustin
- Freddy Hardest (and the sequel)
- Hundra
- Jungle Warrior
- La espada sagrada
- Mad Mix Game
- Mortadelo y Filemon II
- Narco Police
- Phantis
- Rescate Atlantida
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

CaptainKrenon wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:21 pm It's funny because back in the day I thought that Spectrum games were difficult in general, but I didn't think that the Spanish ones were particularly more difficult than the rest. I only saw the "Spanish games are difficult" meme when I read it on an English magazine.
Same here!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

CaptainKrenon wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:21 pm It's funny because back in the day I thought that Spectrum games were difficult in general, but I didn't think that the Spanish ones were particularly more difficult than the rest. I only saw the "Spanish games are difficult" meme when I read it on an English magazine.
Me too. It was more a case of reviewers' laziness if you ask me.
CaptainKrenon
Drutt

Post by CaptainKrenon »

I imagine that it also has to do with the specific games that were actually published / popular in the UK?

Army Moves is hard and frustrating but it got a proper release in the UK and was reviewed in all magazines...

Jungle Warrior or Capitan Trueno are examples of very playable games with a balanced difficulty level but I don't know if they were even exported...
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

I remember finishing Dustin myself back in the days. I might needed a poke for the first time, but after that (and after mapping the game), I could do it without pokes.