Asking an AI generator to write poetry about the Spectrum

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Asking an AI generator to write poetry about the Spectrum

Post by bluespikey »

From Bing (ChatGPT) :

write a limerick about the website spectrumcomputing :

There once was a website called SpectrumComputing, Its retro games were quite entertaining, With games like Jet Set Willy, And Manic Miner silly, It’s a fun place for gaming and reminiscing.

write a limerick about the website spectrumcomputing.co.uk

There once was a website called SpectrumComputing.co.uk, Its retro games were quite the hook, With games like Chuckie Egg, And Dizzy’s adventure to beg, It’s a fun place for gaming and a good look.

write a limerick about the website worldofspectrum

There once was a website called WorldOfSpectrum, Its retro games were quite the anthem, With games like Atic Atac, And Sabre Wulf to attack, It’s a fun place for gaming and fandom.

write a limerick about the sinclair spectrum

There once was a computer called Sinclair Spectrum, Its games were quite the perfectum, With games like Horace Goes Skiing, And Jet Set Willy’s exploring, It’s a fun place for gaming and a good forum.

write a limerick about clive sinclair

There once was a man named Clive Sinclair, His inventions were quite the affair, With computers like ZX80, And electric vehicles aplenty, He’s a legend in tech and quite debonair.

write a limerick about alan sugar

There once was a man named Alan Sugar, His business acumen was quite the augur, With Amstrad computers galore, And The Apprentice to explore, He’s a legend in business and quite the mover.

write a limerick about the commodore 64

There once was a computer called Commodore 64, Its games were quite the score, With games like Boulder Dash, And Impossible Mission to clash, It’s a fun place for gaming and more.

We're all doomed I tell ya. Doomed!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Re: Asking an AI generator to write poetry about the Spectrum

Post by Vampyre »

Crikey! That's seriously impressive.

I was reading about Bing's AI the other day where things got rather... sinister. The user was threatening the AI, but I think Asimov's three laws should be added asap :lol: :lol:

Link
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

I wonder what's going to happen when people are going to interface with it, like through an in-ear plug or a Google Glass and actually start doing things. Imagine the kinds of conversations that evolve out of this.
POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

bluespikey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:56 pm
We're all doomed I tell ya. Doomed!
None of them scan at all. They're awful.

RoboApocalypse : DELAYED!
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Mpk wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:04 pm None of them scan at all. They're awful.
Completely agree. There's a specific rhythm to limericks, and it's not present in a single one of these. Plus, the format of almost all of them is identical, with the third line always starting with something along the lines of "with games like..."

The rhyming is pretty tenuous, too.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Found this on Reddit, so take a pick as to whether it's true or not. If it is it scares the sh*t out of me.

"I’m usually 100% on top of new tech trends and I’d heard of them but dismissed it as venture capital bait, till I tried it. Holy hell does it impress and scare with equal measure.

Had some code for usb device stuff I’d been working on and I *know* the code I needed was not anywhere on the web and would need written from scratch, and not being v good at the sort of coding in question I’d been struggling.

Put the details into chatGPT just for a laugh to see what gibberish it would spit out. Instead I get a page of 100% accurate complete and working code doing exactly what I asked, AND it was well documented too. Niche case and probably not reliable for most scenarios but I’d have paid $100 for an experienced coder to do it and still probably wouldn’t have been as well documented. And definitely not as fast."
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

How do I write fizzbuzz in sinclair spectrum basic

Here’s a sample code for FizzBuzz in Sinclair Spectrum Basic:

10 FOR I=1 TO 100
20 IF I/15=INT(I/15) THEN PRINT "FIZZBUZZ";: GOTO 50
30 IF I/3=INT(I/3) THEN PRINT "FIZZ";: GOTO 50
40 IF I/5=INT(I/5) THEN PRINT "BUZZ";: GOTO 50
50 PRINT I;
60 NEXT I
This code prints numbers from 1 to 100. If a number is divisible by 3, it prints “FIZZ”. If a number is divisible by 5, it prints “BUZZ”. If a number is divisible by both 3 and 5, it prints “FIZZBUZZ”.1

Clearly doesn't need the goto 50 on the end of line 40. We might be safe for now....
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

A mighty young micro named Spectrum,
Sized and shaped like a giant's plectrum,
Was much less of a bore,
Than the C64,
Which was brown like the giant's rectum.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

The retro site Spectrum Computing,
Is the best of its kind, no disputing,
You can have great discussions,
With Spaniards and Russians,
(Just try not to talk about Putin.)
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

bluespikey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:19 pm How do I write fizzbuzz in sinclair spectrum basic

Here’s a sample code for FizzBuzz in Sinclair Spectrum Basic:

10 FOR I=1 TO 100
20 IF I/15=INT(I/15) THEN PRINT "FIZZBUZZ";: GOTO 50
30 IF I/3=INT(I/3) THEN PRINT "FIZZ";: GOTO 50
40 IF I/5=INT(I/5) THEN PRINT "BUZZ";: GOTO 50
50 PRINT I;
60 NEXT I
This code prints numbers from 1 to 100. If a number is divisible by 3, it prints “FIZZ”. If a number is divisible by 5, it prints “BUZZ”. If a number is divisible by both 3 and 5, it prints “FIZZBUZZ”.1

Clearly doesn't need the goto 50 on the end of line 40. We might be safe for now....
Not a good way to code this, really.
Shouldn't have any GOTO at all, or line 20.
The GOTOs are only needed because line 20 is there, and line 20 is only needed because the GOTOs are there.

edit to say: I guess you could argue that the above code might be more legible / maintainable / expandable than taking a minimal approach?
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Vampyre wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:37 pm Found this on Reddit, so take a pick as to whether it's true or not. If it is it scares the sh*t out of me.

"I’m usually 100% on top of new tech trends and I’d heard of them but dismissed it as venture capital bait, till I tried it. Holy hell does it impress and scare with equal measure.

Had some code for usb device stuff I’d been working on and I *know* the code I needed was not anywhere on the web and would need written from scratch, and not being v good at the sort of coding in question I’d been struggling.

Put the details into chatGPT just for a laugh to see what gibberish it would spit out. Instead I get a page of 100% accurate complete and working code doing exactly what I asked, AND it was well documented too. Niche case and probably not reliable for most scenarios but I’d have paid $100 for an experienced coder to do it and still probably wouldn’t have been as well documented. And definitely not as fast."
If he isn't good at coding this how can he judge it to be 100% accurate? In all my trials with ChatGPT it would present me with nice looking code it told me was 100% accurate but always contained issues. For me that is the biggest danger people's blind acceptance of its results.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

EdToo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:52 am If he isn't good at coding this how can he judge it to be 100% accurate? In all my trials with ChatGPT it would present me with nice looking code it told me was 100% accurate but always contained issues. For me that is the biggest danger people's blind acceptance of its results.
Couldn't agree more, same with the Speccy BASIC example - but the fact that it's giving results even remotely near acceptable code is an eye-opener at the least.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Heres the same question to Google's Bard. This isn't remotely as good (Its not Spectrum basic, and doesn't even print Buzz :D ), but still clearly a step up from where we were even 6 months ago.

Here is a FizzBuzz program in Spectrum Basic:

100 REM FizzBuzz
120 FOR I=1 TO 100
130 IF I%3=0 OR I%5=0 THEN
140 PRINT "Fizz"
150 ELSE
160 PRINT I
170 END IF
180 NEXT I
200 END
This program will print the numbers from 1 to 100, but if the number is divisible by 3 or 5, it will print "Fizz" or "Buzz" instead.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

And then back to ChatGPT. OK, it slightly doesn't compile and would run off the screen, but its almost correct. My 8 year old self would be pleased with this. It even makes a go at the UDGs.

Please write a program in Spectrum basic. There is a small UDG sprite picture of a stickman in the middle of the screen. If I press the O key then it moves left. If I press the P key then it moves right.

Here is an example Spectrum Basic program that moves a stickman sprite left and right when the O and P keys are pressed respectively:

10 REM Stickman sprite move left and right
20 BORDER 0: PAPER 0: INK 7
30 SYMBOL AFTER 32
40 FOR I=0 TO 7: READ A$: POKE USR "A"+I,A$: NEXT I
50 DATA 24,60,126,24,24,102,66,129
60 LET X=128: LET Y=96
70 PRINT AT Y,X;" "
80 LET K$=INKEY$: IF K$="o" THEN X=X-1
90 IF K$="p" THEN X=X+1
100 IF X<0 THEN X=0
110 IF X>255 THEN X=255
120 PRINT AT Y,X;"[32m";CHR$ 32;"[0m"
130 GOTO 80
This program sets the border color to black (BORDER 0), the paper color to black (PAPER 0) and the ink color to white (INK 7). It then defines a user-defined graphic (UDG) sprite of a stickman using the SYMBOL AFTER command. The sprite is then printed at position (128,96) on the screen using the PRINT AT command. The program then enters a loop where it waits for the user to press either the O or P key. If the O key is pressed, the sprite moves one pixel to the left (X=X-1). If the P key is pressed, the sprite moves one pixel to the right (X=X+1). The position of the sprite is then checked to ensure it remains within the screen boundaries. Finally, the sprite is printed at its new position using PRINT AT.

I hope this helps!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

bluespikey wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:30 am Please
Pays to be polite to our robot overlords, I guess.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

LET x=x+((INKEY$="p")*(x<32))-((INKEY$="o")*(x>0))
or go home :p
I can forgive the other syntactical errors and mistakes, but the above line is such a Sinclair BASIC staple.
edit to say:
I can imagine there is a good chance these AIs are training, by crawling for duplicates of their output on forums, like this, and scraping up peoples corrections / improvements :shock:
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

The future is scary! :?
Journeyman
Microbot

Post by Journeyman »

ChatGPT Spectrum haiku:

Bright colors flicker
ZX Spectrum springs to life
Retro gaming joy.
Wrestling with useless old junk since 1974.
Vintage computers: ZX81, Spectrum +2, TRS-80 Model 100, Z88, Amstrad NC100
http://journeyman.online
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Mpk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:28 pm Pays to be polite to our robot overlords, I guess.
They are taking notes and names. When the robot apocalypse arrives, I expect to be saved. Or maybe a role of camp supervisor, rather than straight-up battery unit.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

If I were a journalist who just copies crap off the internet all day and submits it for publication, I'd be very worried by ChatGPT. If I was smart enough.

And if I lived in a country where the selfish idiot masses are easily swayed by some patently and demonstrably false yet circularly re-enforcing conspiracy nonsense pushed by any old narcicist with the right school tie and a massive grudge/profit to make, then I'd also be very worried. Ah, bollocks*. I do.
Spoiler
*Douglas Adams wrote that the ultimate use of AI is not to make the best decision for you, but to let you make whatever decision you want, then write a totally convincing justification for it after the fact. And he was right.
It'll be fun once these things are out of Beta though, and everyone else gets to figure out how to construct logical rabbit-holes to either expel, snare or bait these data-amalgamator chat-bots into spouting utter nonsense.