Hex dump type-ins

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Hex dump type-ins

Post by Sol_HSA »

Back when type-ins started they didn't have (much) hex data and you might be able to learn something by simply reading the listings. Eventually though these degenerated into short loaders and pages and pages of hex, because naturally writing things in assembly yielded more impressive programs.

I personally think they should have just banned listings that were more than half just hex dumps. Especially after cover disks/tapes became a thing.

(file this under "old man screams at cloud")
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Re: Hex dump type-ins

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

I think it was better when they had the hex dump AND the assembly listing. I typed in some machine code for a game and it just didn't work because it was wrong. Knowing what the numbers meant AND what the author was trying to do, it was easy to fix. But just numbers? And without a checksum? No chance.
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Having assembly along with the data to type in was brilliantly useful.
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

Most of them, at least in finland, were just hex dumps, no assembly listing.. so you literally couldn't learn anything from them.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

When I first moved into PCs it was disappointing to find that there was no BASIC included with MS-DOS, but I was intrigued to find that there was an assembler and disassembler in debug.exe, and magazines of the time occasionally had useful assembly routines that you could type in to create a new command or TSR.

If only the Speccy had come with a standard assembler or could incorporate inline assembly like BBC BASIC.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Pobulous wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:39 am If only the Speccy had come with a standard assembler or could incorporate inline assembly like BBC BASIC.
Now, that's useful to know... I must make a note of that for a future program.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!