Mike Westlake / S. Brockelhurst

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

R-Tape
Site Admin

Mike Westlake / S. Brockelhurst

Post by R-Tape »

Sinclair sleuth @PeteProdge has been busy and deduced that S. Brockelhurst is the nickname of Mike Westlake. As per this thread.

Summary:
-MW's Tarantula is a MOD from SB's Roller Coaster.
-SB's Animator1 has graphical similarities to MW's tall sprite games, and Merlin has code blocks that load directly into Animator1.

Googling shows that MW is the label, and SB is the nickname:
That's a pen name for Mike Westlake, it has to be. SU directs you to send a cheque to "B.C.S." to a "Grantham House" in Macclesfield. The Softcat Micros address in adverts was a PO Box in Macclesfield. A bit of hardcore Googling shows a Mike Westlake is a member of a Macclesfield local Facebook group, his profile shows he's following LOTS of Facebook pages dedicated to satellte TV dish installations. Googling on the Grantham House address reveals it is (or was) home to 'BCS Satellites'. I would say that Mike Westlake and 'S Brocklehurst' are the one and the same.
I don't think this was noticed when Pete first mentioned. It looks to me like they should be linked. All say aye?

The only thing I find strange is that his games started out as the nickname, and he adopted the real name later.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Mike Westlake / S. Brockelhurst

Post by R-Tape »

As an aside, does anyone know how and who spotted that Tarantula is a MOD from Roller Coaster? I can't look in great detail right now, but playing them side by side, I can't see any similarities!
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

R-Tape wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:45 pm As an aside, does anyone know how and who spotted that Tarantula is a MOD from Roller Coaster? I can't look in great detail right now, but playing them side by side, I can't see any similarities!
From the screenshots I had doubts but playing the video shows these:
- sound
- screen effects including flickering when losing energy
- speed in the movement of the sprites
- font
- similar loading and screen$ draw routine
- placement of energy and score.

Similar maps dimensions:
Last edited by Van_Dammesque on Tue May 16, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

SMOKING GUN:-
The poke to remove the noise when your energy drains for Roller Coaster (38364,33) also works for Tarantula! :!: :geek:

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:05 pm viewtopic.php?t=1885
Cheers. Oh jeez - I even posted in one that Alessandro linked to, discussing this very thing. In my defense, it was 2017, and I've slept since then.

OT Anyone disagree about the authors being linked?
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

Not that I've seen or followed this until now but also check the graphics within the maps. The top is Roller Coaster, the bottom is Tarantula:

Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

R-Tape wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:45 pm As an aside, does anyone know how and who spotted that Tarantula is a MOD from Roller Coaster? I can't look in great detail right now, but playing them side by side, I can't see any similarities!
That would be me. As to why, I'm not sure now! :)
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:05 pm viewtopic.php?t=1885
Thank you. :)

oh the stuff about Fireman in that topic , that was legit afaik.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

spider wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:30 pm oh the stuff about Fireman in that topic , that was legit afaik.
Yes, the true custodian and creator of Magic Knight, David Jones, has clarified on The Other Place that Mastertronic asked him to "give the [Incredible Shrinking Fireman] creators a little bit of help".
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!