Unknown Model

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
onlynameavailable
Berk

Unknown Model

Post by onlynameavailable » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:56 am

Hello everyone!
I'm from Portugal, and I recently bought a ZX Spectrum that I would like to know something about:

My father has a 48K Z80 and he told that he never saw this model. I tried to research it and only found an article that talks about an argentinian model ('P 068973 MODEL M 332 48 K') that was produced here in Portugal, but that article talks about a 48k model, while this one has that sticker that says 16k...
Do you know anything about this? I'm really interested in knowing what this might be.

Thank you very much!
1 x

1024MAK
Manic Miner

Re: Unknown Model

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:36 am

Do you mean this article?

Well, as Sinclair produced both 16K and 48K versions, it does look like the MODEL M 332 was also produced in both 16K and 48K versions. Easy to do given that they are basically a normal ZX Spectrum PCB in a different case.

Mark
0 x

onlynameavailable
Berk

Post by onlynameavailable » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Yes, that's the one I found.
I was only curious if maybe this was maybe a bootleg or something, because the case is just like the Argenitinian CZ-2000 is just like this one, only with a different name on the sticker:
I just found it interesting that this model wasn't mentioned anywhere.
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi!
As far as I understand, that vertical pattern at the top is indicative of a Timex model, developed in Portugal. All Timex machines have a similar design:

After the failure of Timex Sinclair on EEUU, what Czerweny did was to contact Timex Portugal and start producing those models for the Argentinian market.
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

onlynameavailable
Berk

Post by onlynameavailable » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:21 pm

But somewhere along the way they started using the ZX Spectrum name, which I found interesting...

Thanks! :)
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 am

Yes, I'm not 100% sure, but I think I saw some of those ZX Spectrum models back in the day, before they started the local production as CZ 2000. I think they where part of the first batch of American rejected models that landed here:

Timex Sinclair 1000

TS 2000

And the mighty TS 2068

Never saw one of this, for example, as seems they only reached the prototype stage:

So, the TS 2000 branded as Sinclair ZX Spectrum makes sense

You can find all the photos here: http://www.angeldust.org.uk/Sinclair.htm

PS: take a look at the Didaktik Kompakt (80k) ❤️
1 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

Uto
Berk

Post by Uto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:41 am

Portuguese Spectrum, made by Timex in Portugalm, after agreement with Sinclair . Those models use to hold an ISSUE2 board inside.
0 x
http://uto.speccy.org
Follow me at @uto_dev