Are amiga games bad?

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Are amiga games bad?

Post by Morkin »

XTM wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:41 pm Edited: I assume you are talking of the Amiga version of SF2. Yes, I've played it, it was trash compared to the arcade and console versions.
Matt_B wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:32 am The particularly annoying thing about the Amiga versions of the SF2 games is that they look the part, but the gameplay is quite badly off.
SF2 looked and played fantastic when it appeared in arcades in my neck of the woods. To this day I'm not quite sure how they managed the make the Amiga gameplay so painfully sluggish. I played SFV recently-ish on console, it's pretty cool (though I'm quite crap at it).
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Morkin wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:56 am SF2 looked and played fantastic when it appeared in arcades in my neck of the woods. To this day I'm not quite sure how they managed the make the Amiga gameplay so painfully sluggish. I played SFV recently-ish on console, it's pretty cool (though I'm quite crap at it).
The problem with the Amiga is that it can do lots of colours on the screen, but as soon as you do it runs into a problem. Not only do you have to write more data to the screen to update the graphics, but the additional bitplanes steal time away from the blitter and so drawing gets slower. And while it sort of has sprites, they're quite limited and don't really work like sprites normally do (also they steal yet more DMA time away from the blitter too).

I think a reasonable SF2.could probably have been done, but you'd have had to compromise the graphics a lot to get there and nobody wanted that given how much screen shots sold a game. Although you'd still have been lumbered with one button controls and that would probably kill it anyway.
kingius
Drutt

Post by kingius »

Bedazzle wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:27 pm What about night missions?
It's not like night missions added much to XCOM anyway, they just reduced line of sight a bit and made the game a little bit harder.