Anyone else hate zxspectrumgames4 ?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Re: Anyone else hate zxspectrumgames4 ?

Post by equinox »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:50 pm @equinox
I definitely don't want you to go anywhere else (and I stress this), but if it's very important to you, then WoS does not use filtering as far as I know.
Peter
going to Peter's house because he has a Megadrive
and ROLO TO THE RESCUE

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

patters wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:11 pm Hey, remember Chuckie Egg?
Yeah! I loved the little dude's sombrero and his pot-belly. Must have been from eating all those eggs.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:30 am I have a slow upload rate, like a game review every year, but it's a multiformat review with a carefully researched story
Thank Christ it isn't your actual job.
good dude
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

Zxspectrumgames4 and Petsasjim1 were the only ones to have Caudillo content (until I took up the gauntlet).

Zxspectrumgames4 moves the cursor.

Petsasjim1 moves the cursor and manages to deploy a unit!
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Oh God. I was looking for an old Speccy demo to listen to the music and found this video.
It is 16:21 minutes long, but he stays on the title screen (that has no music apart from a very short jingle at the start) until the 16 minute mark, so you only get to see a short fraction of the actual demo.

WHY??

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Wasn't aware of this particular channel, but it did remind me of a guy I am aware of who has a whole series of nonsense channels under various, similar names. Not the same guy, I think.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

You know, sometimes I'd really like to be the literal "fly on the wall" in this guy's place. I'd love to watch him uploading all these videos, dozens every day it seems. I can only assume he somehow makes some money from it, I can't see why it otherwise would be worth his time.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

XTM wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:18 pm Oh God. I was looking for an old Speccy demo to listen to the music and found this video.
It is 16:21 minutes long, but he stays on the title screen (that has no music apart from a very short jingle at the start) until the 16 minute mark, so you only get to see a short fraction of the actual demo.

WHY??

I think that's because of a rather obscure YT algorithm that favours videos longer than a certain length.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

But that doesn't explain his weird choice to do his videos the way he does them. Why did he not just wait for 10 seconds for the jingle to finish, then pressed space and showed the main part like any sensible person would have done? This is ridiculous. Also, apparently has nearly 5000 videos of Chaos, each only a few minutes long. Mindboggling.
dvduk
Drutt

Post by dvduk »

HEXdidnt wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:38 pm Wasn't aware of this particular channel, but it did remind me of a guy I am aware of who has a whole series of nonsense channels under various, similar names. Not the same guy, I think.
Not totally sure - as the person in question has tried to sign up to my Youtube channel several times under several usernames with the same thumbnail - and i'm sure a similar username has been used at least once or twice.

And to coin people commenting about Hariet Jones .... "Yes, we know who you are."
Can also be found at SamstersVideos - which does occasionally update when I have time...
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

I'm not really sure how or why this person operates the way they do, and for the most part I'm not really bothered about them continuing to fill up the server hard disks over at YouTube HQ, but for some games where the only footage available is from that channel, it is a bit disappointing that said footage is likely to be unrepresentative of the featured software.

I know there's a video of one of my games over there, in which 20 minutes are spent on the title screen, a further 10 minutes on the menu screen, and then there's about 2 minutes of actual game-play.

I really don't know what the goal of the channel is, but for now, I'm happy to put it down either as the outlet of an obsessive fan, or as a Sinclair-themed Webdriver Torso.
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Whoever they are, they’re doing it purely for ad revenue. I did a quick search on The Birds and The Bees and sure enough, there’s a video from that channel that comes in 4th on YouTube’s results.

However, it’s from 8 years ago and it looks like it’s a decent enough playthrough in that you get actual gameplay.

All I can think is that the person built up enough cachet with YouTubes algorithms in order to make the channel monetised and suitable for ads, and then just flooded the channel with videos.

While it might be nice to think that “it’s just taking up Google’s server space” what it really does is just gameifies YouTube’s search algorithms so you get utter trash if you search for a Spectrum game. Not only does that make it frustrating when trying to find Spectrum footage, it also makes our favourite 8-bit home micro look really poor for any random person just search for a Spectrum game.

I think we should all complain to YouTube that it’s now being run by a bot to get ad revenue.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

XTM wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:49 pm But that doesn't explain his weird choice to do his videos the way he does them. Why did he not just wait for 10 seconds for the jingle to finish, then pressed space and showed the main part like any sensible person would have done? This is ridiculous. Also, apparently has nearly 5000 videos of Chaos, each only a few minutes long. Mindboggling.
Because probably s/he automates the process of taking videos. For example s/he could loads game in many windows captured in different videos, leave the emulators on for 15 mins while s/he prepares dinner or have a chat with a friend, then presses a few keys, saves the file and uploads the thing on YouTube. Unfortunately, the "algorithms" made YT a weird place, because of the people who take advantage of its weaknesses. I stopped looking at the suggested video for good when YT thought that I was keen of seeing young people reaction to capital punishment sentences. I wonder what kind of videos I watched to make the algorithm think that I'm a creepy heartless Bas**rd.
I'm still exposed to the unpredictability of the search engine, but there's nothing I can do.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Lee Bee wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:11 pm To make the channel less likely to appear in search results:
[clicky instructions]
I mean you realise I am never logged in, unless I want to make a comment.
The modern Web is very anti-anonymous. I know some people stay logged into everything on their portable telephones, and then wonder what happened when they get mugged and lose £20,000. Yes, that's what passwords and PINs were for, before you started saving them, Cory Doctorow.
Last edited by equinox on Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

XTM wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:18 pm You know, sometimes I'd really like to be the literal "fly on the wall" in this guy's place. I'd love to watch him uploading all these videos, dozens every day it seems. I can only assume he somehow makes some money from it, I can't see why it otherwise would be worth his time.
I'm laughing really hard imagining some kind of Malaysian call-centre where they upload Speccy tapes all day.

It's not really funny though. I remember reading about some (also Asian) factories where people are making clothes, underpaid, and not only that, it's obscure bondage stuff, they have no idea what they are making, and if they knew, would probably refuse on religious grounds.
Not much better than battery chickens. Actually worse because it is based on fooling human beings who just need a wage.

(Steve Jobs reads this thread. "Wow, sounds profitable, hook me up!")

See also: fat American westerners writing books about Buddhism.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

equinox wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:34 pm The modern Web is very anti-anonymous. I know some people stay logged into everything on their portable telephones, and then wonder what happened when they get mugged and lose £20,000.
Sure, there are a number of steps one can take to reduce the risks of commercial tracking/profiling and various forms of fraud. But sadly it's impossible to have the kind of privacy which really matters, from society's most sinister sector. All modern technology spies on its users, and tech companies which promise your data is safe, or claim to advocate privacy, are basically lying. Mobile phones never stop transmitting, especially if the owner is attractive.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Lee Bee wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:34 pm Mobile phones never stop transmitting, especially if the owner is attractive.
I've got nothing to worry about!
textvoyage
Drutt

Post by textvoyage »

He/she is pretty good at Sentinel by Abacus though, look at the missile action!