.COP file playback

Play it once, SAM. For old times' sake.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

.COP file playback

Post by flatduckrecords »

I've been enjoying @Stefan's SAA1099 sound chip oscilloscope videos and it got me wondering how to play the tunes back directly on SAM.

Arcane Zone Part 2 by Yerzmyey.

I understand .cop files are compiled E-Tracker songs - but is there a quick way to tell if the player routine has been merged in, and if so what the init and play addresses are?

I disassembled a few tunes and found that 0x8000/0x8006 is common, but not universal. I wanted to make a BASIC playlist disk with a few tracks from ZX-Art so I was hoping they'd mostly stick to the same offsets! Is that not the case?

Code: Select all

10 LOAD "SONG.COP"
20 CALL &8000
30 DO: CALL &8006: PAUSE 1: LOOP
Stefan
Manic Miner

Re: .COP file playback

Post by Stefan »

The .cop files may or may not contain the etracker player. They are all etracker compiled tunes. You can recognize if the player is tacked on by looking for the etracker signature (see my GitHub for etracker player disassembly).

Also beware of the etracker compiled player bugs, for the videos I always decompile the compiled tunes, load them into etracker and record from there.

Update: sorry, memory failure. The compiled tune contains the signature, not the player. When playing these back I look for a tell tale ld hl,x - see https://github.com/stefandrissen/e-trac ... play.s#L36
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Stefan wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:09 pmThe compiled tune contains the signature, not the player. When playing these back I look for a tell tale ld hl,x - see https://github.com/stefandrissen/e-trac ... play.s#L36
Aha, perfect. Thank you.
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

ZX tune plays .cop too
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

g0blinish wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:15 am ZX tune plays .cop too
Thanks! I've also been using Audio Overload but it seems to be struggling with .cop files. ZX Tune's playback is much better.
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »