Pie-in-the-sky, SAM Coupé Edition

Play it once, SAM. For old times' sake.
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Pie-in-the-sky, SAM Coupé Edition

Post by HEXdidnt »

OK, so I've mentioned in my showcase threads that one of my favourite hobbies as a kid was designing games... But I think it was more with the SAM than the Spectrum that this really took off. Naturally, my first few projects were essentially just upgrades of things I'd started on the Spectrum. I'd load MODE 1 SCREEN$ into FLASH!, convert to MODE 4 and start adding colour without any fear of attribute clash... and so we get things like the SAM version of my Aliens Vs. Predator:
A much improved loading screen, based on the cover artwork from one of the comic books. I'd still rate this as being among my best bits of work on the SAM... though I did sketch it out on paper first, transferring it to the SAM pixel-by-pixel.

Image Image
A comic book-style intro, lifted from issue 1 of the original series.

Image Image Image
Coloured-up versions of the graphics I'd originally designed on the Spectrum. In retrospect, I don't know why I changed the panel so much... I don't think it's an improvement on the Predator's wrist computer on the Speccy version... though I'd borrowed elements of that from (I think) Technocop.

Much as I love the Ocean Software style of movie-to-videogame adaptations, by this point, I'd also got an Amiga and had played some of LucasArts' point-and-click adventures and, being happily unencumbered with any knowledge of coding, figured the SAM should be able to handle something along those lines, albeit perhaps somewhat simplified... Thus, the graphic adventure version of Aliens Vs. Predator came into being...
Image Image Image Image
Most of these were put together using the line and fill tools in FLASH! - which is why they look so simplistic - with the last being a bit of a hybrid - the foreground elements and some of the background elements were sketched out on graph paper, then put into FLASH! pixel-by-pixel. The background is unfinished, and missing the Alien Queen 'sprite', which would have been sitting in front of the egg sac.

The idea of this version was that you'd be controlling both Machiko Noguchi and Broken Tusk through most of the game (depending on where in the narrative the game actually begins), switching between them by clicking on their portraits, and playing through the events of the comic in a slower-paced form. Looking at it now, I think a more streamlined, icon-driven interface might be better than the text options (typed using one of the default fonts in FLASH! - ugh!), as there are too many on the go, and some seem unnecessary.

Noguchi would have a standard crosshair pointer, but the Predator would have the three laser dots. NPCs would do their own thing, much like in Revolution Software's 'Virtual Theatre' games - following a set pattern of movement between locations unless they run into an Alien or a Predator, at which point they'd try to run and hide.

As a fun little 'Easter Egg', I decided to include an arcade game cabinet in one location where, if you use a coin, you get to play a secret mini-game in the style of Mario:
Image Image Image Image

My choice of palette for the arcade game was bad enough (in many ways, it's not far different from the Spectrum palette!), but the adventure game is far too bright - much of the story happens overnight - and in no way optimised. If I were to be generous, I might say the backgrounds look like comic book art... but the sprites look flat, basic and downright ugly.

Part of me would rather like to revisit both versions of the game with an optimised palette, if only to get rid of the Spectrum version's black outlines in the arcade game, but it would be a hell of an undertaking...
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Re: Pie-in-the-sky, SAM Coupé Edition

Post by HEXdidnt »

One of my more recent obsessions is the Visual Novel genre... although I should probably have realised how much I'd enjoy them when I discovered Snatcher and Policenauts, two classic examples of the genre from Hideo Kojima/Konami, back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Both appeared on PC-88 originally, with the former ending up on Mega CD (as well as Saturn/Playstation, albeit in Japan only) and the latter turning up on 3DO, Saturn and Playstation, with English translation patches for the latter two arriving just a few years ago.

During a period of unemployment at the tail end of the 1990s, I played through the Saturn version of Policenauts - in Japanese - and devoted a section of my personal website to a walkthrough/discussion of the game... and, bar the assistance I got on the bomb defusing section, I'm pretty sure mine was the first complete walkthrough for the game to appear online.

More recently, after watching some playthroughs of a game called World of Horror, I started wondering about how a very simple graphical adventure game, along the lines of a visual novel, perhaps with simple RPG elements, could made use of the SAM's 4-colour, higher resolution (512x192 pixel) screen mode... and, since Policenauts is still one of my favourite games, these - converted from the PC-88 version - were my first experiments:
Image Image

I'd expected that it'd only really work in greyscale, but it actually turns out quite well in colour, assuming the right palette. One genre the SAM is sorely lacking is RPGs, and something along the lines of World of Horror - with very little animation, let alone scrolling - might be feasible. MODE 3 certainly isn't suited to action games, but it's ideal for a more stylised approach to adventures, particularly where the story is related more by text than graphics.

I've been learning Ren'Py - a development kit for Visual Novels - over the last few years, and definitely feel that the format could work well on the SAM... Though, since it's possible to have a MODE 4 screen with a MODE 3 text window (as demonstrated by several of the SAM's text adventures), it wouldn't even be necessary to sacrifice the full colour graphics for that style of game.

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

As if the Aliens Vs. Predator license wasn't unlikely enough, after picking up the Batman: Arkham Asylum graphic novel by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean (aka A Serious House on Serious Earth), I started thinking about how to turn it into a game on the SAM... more than 15 years before the amazing Arkham series by Rocksteady.

Aside from the isometric 3D game on the Spectrum, most Batman games have tended to be action oriented to one degree or another, even the pair of comic book-style adventures by Special FX. What I wanted to do for the SAM was something slower-paced, with just a handful of action scenes. Something that could, potentially, be played with either joystick, keyboard or mouse. Very few games on the SAM offer mouse control, possibly because mouse usage was a bit of a bodge, requiring an interface for a standard Atari/Amiga 9-pin mouse, in the absence of the planned, proprietary MGT SAM Mouse with its 5-pin DIN plug.

So, the idea for the game was something of a hybrid between the likes of Tir Na Nog/Dun Darach/Marsport or Heavy on the Magick, and a point-and-click adventure.
Image Image Image Image Image

The game window is relatively small, as I wasn't sure whether a scrolling map would be feasible. Control would use directionals (keyboard/joystick) for movement, with key to toggle the pointer on and off for accessing the icon menu and inventory. Health/energy represented on the left by stimulant pills, with time remaining and sanity represented on the right by the clock (the state of Batman's sanity being indicated by the speed of the pendulum's swing). The more hits you take, the more stimulants he guzzles, the more loopy he gets. Can't quite remember what effect this was going to have on the game itself, but it would likely have increased the difficulty somehow... Not quite sure what my plan was for regaining health without taking a sanity hit - in retrospect, the whole idea seems pretty flawed.

Dialogue between characters would have been in speech bubble form - I really liked the way the graphic novel was lettered, with each character having their own typeface (although that did make some of it hard to read!), and wanted to duplicate that effect as far as possible.

The icon menu offers the following options:
Open Door / Talk To / Close Door
Push / Give / Use / Pull
Drop

Not sure why I didn't include 'Pick Up' along with 'Drop', considering I have 'Open/Close Door', 'Push/Pull' and 'Give/Use' as separate options... Perhaps the idea was that you'd acquire items simply by walking over them..? Probably just something I failed to consider at the time. Likewise, there's no 'Examine', which would have made the adventure/puzzle aspects of the game rather more difficult.

To supplement the main part of the game - and because, by this point, I was familiar with Delphine's 'Cinematique' games - I wanted to have movie scenes as vector animations, representing key sequences from the graphic novel:
Image Image
(Not easy to do the idea justice in FLASH!, but I think the first one turned out OK!)

I created some animation for Batman himself but, looking back on it, the sprite itself is terrible - largely black, and it comes across like a recoloured Spectrum sprite. The idea at the time was that he'd be able to blend in with the shadows, and so avoid fighting wherever possible, and the simplicity of the sprite was supposed to help... but I now think that was a huge misjudgement. Along with the player sprite, I created a handful of frames for the Joker, but didn't get very far with the other antagonists from the graphic novel. Also, for some strange reason, I decided to add Catwoman into the mix... Probably just because Batman Returns was in the cinema while I was trying to develop this.

Since the odds of getting a licensed Batman game created/published for the SAM are astronomical, I more recently started repurposing the basic concept for the game's hypothetical mechanics (and a better-organised palette!) for a horror adventure of some kind:
Image Image Image

The clock is relocated, and I've ditched the icons, leaving only the inventory. The notepad is a text window for dialogue, messages, etc., the compass helps you orient yourself within the map, and the idea would be that the game plays out over a number of days/nights, with the band of sky above the game window changing to reflect the weather and whether spooky things are afoot.

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Back in the day, I was attached to a number of projects which would now be referred to as "Games That Weren't" for the SAM. One of these was Asteroids clone... or perhaps 'Stardust' is a more appropriate basis, which I got involved in briefly after becoming a sort of honorary member of the SAM coding group Entropy. I was provided with an asteroid sprite - created from a series of digitised photos of a pebble, if I remember correctly - and then pretty much given free reign on a first draft of everything else.

The precise content and mechanics of the game were a bit up-in-the-air (or, at least, not described to me in any detail) so I ended up going more the Stardust route with weapon power-ups and the like, as well as chucking in ideas for end-of-level bosses taking inspiration from (I think) one of the Contra games, and even the Sega Megadrive itself (the latter seeming a little bit cringe in retrospect).

Screen from a 'planned' intro, in which news of the asteroid-related hi-jinks would be related. I say 'planned', but it was little more than an idle suggestion, and I didn't really know what to do with it. The image is based on part of the intro to Ultima 6, which I'd seen screenshots of in one of the magazines back in the day, and carries a couple of easter eggs... Including the Sandman's Shadow poster, because I just love torturing myself.

Also put this together for 'briefings' in between levels... Pretty sure I drew this (by hand, on graph paper, initially) based on something else I'd seen in a magazine. Definitely not an optimised palette but, equally, not my worst effort from those days...

The game panel, namedropping the coding group liberally, and annotated with a few suggestions of how it could be used.

Image Image Image
Some of the sprites I put together... Pretty sure there was never much more than this, because the project was shelved pretty quickly, as far as I can recall. While the palette is not exactly optimised (as per usual for me, in those days) I'm fairly happy with the shading... but I think the stark white on the flying saucer was a mistake, in retrospect.

The one and only mockup screenshot, showing a player sprite that was probably too large to be practical, and making the suggestion that larger asteroids could be created by simply scaling up the provided pebble sprite.

As an aside, I also drafted a few bits and bobs for Entropy's mythical music megademo, Statues of Ice... But I think pretty much everyone on the SAM scene (would have) had some sort of input into that, had it actually been completed.

One of the SAM projects I'm working on now comes under the Entropy banner, but will be published with a future issue of SAM Revival magazine.

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Some of you may be aware that there was an 'official' SAM conversion of Elite... but that it was basically just the Spectrum version bodged to load and save via the floppy drive, with absolutely no improvements in terms of framerate, despite the faster processor, no 'quality of life' updates beyond some remapping of the keyboard controls, and no expansion on the original ZX Spectrum code.

There was some discussion of this in SAM Revival issue 14, as a result of a reader writing in to enquire, and there are some mockup screenshots - using both MODE 2 and MODE 4 - to give an idea of what a true SAM conversion of Elite could look like. One of the screenshots included is from the Atari ST version, which would also have been limited to 16 colours, to give an example of an enhanced version.

Now, I was a big fan of Elite on the Spectrum - spent many an evening and weekend trading, fighting pirates, and even deliberately dodging into Witch Space to fight Thargoids once I'd got the hang of space combat (and bought a mining laser, so they only needed about eight hits to destroy). I was also introduced to the Amiga version by a good friend, and that's pretty much the same as the ST version (might even be 16 colour, as far as I know!).

As a result, I was inspired to attempt a remix of the Spectrum version at some point, which I later ported over to the SAM, adding some MODE 4 refinements. I believe this was all put together before the 'official' version was released, and also before Frontier came along... Yet one of the features I wanted to add was the option to buy a new spacecraft, rather than being stuck with the Cobra Mk III for the entire game. I only ever came up with two different control panels, and the look of it was heavily based on the Amiga/ST version, but mostly without the on-screen buttons used in the mouse-operated 16-bit versions.

Image Image Image
The first three SCREEN$ are designed to look a bit like the Amiga/ST version with its dark blue control panel, and it uses the font from the original Spectrum version (later versions - and the SAM 'conversion' - appear to use the default ZX Spectrum system font). In fact, I have a feeling the control panel may have been built up around a SCREEN$ exported from the Spectrum version and loaded into The Artist II. As well as unique control panels, I'd wanted to have unique effects for the different kinds of armaments. Picture 2 shows my interpretation of the Pulse Laser - literally, a laser that fires in pulses. The planetary data screen is pretty much bodged from the Spectrum version, with very little tweaking into MODE 4. Hell, I didn't even draw a particularly good circle to represent the planet!

Here we have the other control panel... which looks pretty shoddy now. For some reason, I decided to use the 'futuristic' font from The Artist II/Flash! rather than the custom Elite font... but I guess even that's better than the default Speccy system font!

It's highly unlikely that the SAM would be able to handle full colour, shaded vector graphics at a decent frame rate... But we can dream, right?

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Something a bit more up-to-date, and with a sad story attached. There's a common thread in SAM Coupé development of unfinished projects. It feels sometimes as though the SAM came along not just at the wrong time to prove successful as an 8-bit home microcomputer, but also at the wrong time to take the best advantage of the talent available. There were - are - some phenomenal coders and graphic artists out there in the SAM community, but many of them ended up drifting off into real-life jobs, some with high-profile game developers, working either on consoles or the PC.

These days, those of us still working on SAM projects have to do it in our spare time (though in my case, currently, it's more in between struggling with my mental health and attempting to find permanent work again following an extended break). One of the SAM projects I'm currently engaged in has been going on since 2018, but is tantalisingly close to being finished. There's loads of other cool stuff on the horizon, too... but there's likely to be a bit of a wait for much of that, due to the real-life commitments of those involved.

Back in 1996/97, I was contacted by Malcolm Mackenzie, indie publisher in the SAM scene under the name Persona Marketing & Development. It was basically a cold-call, because he was looking for a graphic artist to take on a couple of projects that had lost their artists. He was incredibly enthusiastic about the SAM, and a hell of a lot more receptive toward and proactive about games software than certain other publishers.

The first project was a little game called Deadly Addiction, pitched as being the SAM's answer to Target Renegade. Another artist had provided enough graphics for a simple demo, but then pulled out, so he wondered if I'd be interested in tackling it.
Screenshot of the demo I was provided, to get a feel for what had been done up to that point. The background is very Target Renegade, but the sprite looked pretty weird (Greg Proops in sportswear?).

Around this time, I was discovering emulators on the PC, and playing all kinds of console games that I'd previously missed out on. Because of this, I was super-keen to work on an original beat-'em-up for the SAM... but I was thinking more along the lines of Streets of Rage.

Now, even back then, I knew that most games of this kind - particularly those that scrolled - had backgrounds built out of tiles... But I really struggled to make tiles that looked good, at least in part because my palette-making skills were pretty dire:
Just looks flat and unimaginative, right?

So, what I planned to do was construct 'landscapes': illustrations spanning several screens which could then be either scrolled (if possible) or used as flip-screen level environments. I planned six stages: The Slums/Dive Bar, Riverside (offering a branching path, either across the bridge or through the docks and onto a boat), City Park/Shopping Mall, The City Streets (another branching path, though I only worked on one, which led down to a train), Mr. Big's Nightclub, and Mr. Big's Office Block, with a finale that moved from the villain's office to the roof of the building.

I started by illustrating levels 1 and 3 in my trusty pads of graph paper... but quickly identified one of my youthful bêtes noires - drawing landscapes of all kinds. The City Park level was originally going to be 5 screens of park, 1 screen of road, then about 3-4 screens of shopping mall... but I got really bored transferring the hand-drawn pixel art into Flash!/SAMPaint, and ended up cutting it down to 3 screens of park. I also never got round to illustrating the road, and cut the shopping mall down to just 2 screens. Bearing in mind that I'd done each 'screen'-worth with an 80px overlap with the preceding screen to allow for some continuity in a flick-screen environment, it started to feel like I was being really lazy... but I honestly just couldn't face doing all those screens - the weight of all that work, and the time it would take to complete, became overwhelming, not to say oppressive. Looking back, I suspect part of the reason could have been the hard time I was having in my job at the time. I did a few bits and pieces for levels 2 and 4, but only on graph paper because, by that point, I was having second thoughts about the whole endeavour.

Part of the problem there was, again, down to my lack of palette-making skills. Of the 16 colours available to me, the palette I developed for Deadly Addiction allowed for just two to be altered between screens/levels, which made it all the more difficult to make each level look 'right'. If only I'd known back then how to create an optimised palette... I probably would have still got stuck, but the end results would probably have looked better.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Level 1 in all its glory, featuring call-outs to the programmer (Storm, aka Wayne Coles), a graffiti reference to the Nine Inch Nails 'Closer' EP, and a sexy babe on the wall by the bar entrance. The bar itself took a more traditional, almost tile-based approach, and then the final screen was a hurriedly put-together mess using lazy tiles and SAMPaint fills.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
I'm still somewhat proud of some of this, from Level 3, but you can see where I lost interest between screens 3 and 4, and then decided to cut the level short by making what would have been screen 5 into screen 3. As mentioned above, the road between the park and the shopping mall is missing, and the mall itself is cut down to just two screens, into which I packed a whole load of references to contemporary videogames, as well as a little nod to Reckless Rufus (on the balcony, next to the Men In Black), for which I had designed some of the Spectrum graphics some years before. On view are Aeris and Cloud from Final Fantasy 7, Sakura from Street Fighter Alpha, Kitana and Scorpion from Mortal Kombat, Lara Croft from Tomb Raider, Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine from Resident Evil (flanking Candy from Fighting Vipers), a couple of random schoolgirls, and Alucard from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. The Persona store was a reference to the publisher, and the Quazar store was a nod to the SAM's main hardware guru.

Alongside, this, I planned to create images for cut-scenes to play out between levels, but only ever got one onto the SAM:

The game needed to be two-player and, rather than have two identical (male) sprites, I really wanted to have at least one playable female character, and came up with these for the character selection screen:
Image Image
My hope was that it would have been possible for two players to both select the same character, but with the appropriate colour to differentiate them... and then I added two secret characters - Gun Babe II, from a poster that would have appeared in the background of level 4, and the SAM robot, because why not? I also wanted to add a third secret character - a penguin - because I developed a fixation on the idea of games having a secret 'Penguin Mode'. (Note that, in the second screen, the palette has been fudged to accommodate unique colours for Gun Babe II and SAM - this is possible on the SAM using PALETTE LINE changes).

If that weren't enough, I also wanted to throw in a whole secret game - potentially accessed from an arcade machine in level 5 or 6 - which was a variation on a puzzle game written by the programmer, Stax, with a hint of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo thrown in.

I got part way through animating the two main player sprites, but struggled to stay focussed on that because, in retrospect, I think I was being a little overambitious with my plans, and my spriting skills just weren't up to it at the time.

Sadly, while my own efforts continued to limp on slowly, I learned of Malcolm's sudden and untimely death in February 1999, which naturally brought all his ongoing projects to a close.

One of these days, I'd quite like to resurrect Deadly Addiction... but I'd have to completely redo everything with an optimised palette.

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

OK, so the Speccy Ghostbusters idea seemed quite popular, so... Here's the barely upgraded SAM Coupé version I churned out quite early on... Like AVP, it's basically the black pixel linework of the Spectrum graphics, filled with largely flat colour via MODE 4. What's really crazy, looking back at these SCREEN$, is that I barely altered the ZX Spectrum palette they loaded into Flash! with. Some screens only have three SAM-specific colours!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

While the 'lighting' in the corridor section (pic #4) might look cleaner, since MODE 4 uses 16 independent colours rather than 8 each in BRIGHT 0/1, it wouldn't actually give the illusion of illuminating the sprites. Granted, this would have been one of my earliest attempts at 'upgrading' my Spectrum graphics to the SAM, but it's seriously lacking in any kind of refinement, and there's basically zero anti-aliasing. I'm genuinely horrified by some of it now. I didn't even fix the staircase on the final screen, and those Terror Dogs are heinous!

Thinking about it, some of the material I started putting together for the horror game, based upon my Arkham Asylum concept, could be used for a game involving a legally-distinct team of paranormal investigators... Hmm...

On a whim, the other day, I took one of the publicity photos from the movie and downgraded it into the 'advertisement' SCREEN$, to give a better idea of 'what might have been' if I'd known what I was doing back then (and had access to a PC running Photoshop, SimCoupe and SCADM).

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Let's talk arcade games.

The SAM did actually get a couple of official arcade conversions, back in the day, courtesy of DoMark/Tengen: Klax, a block puzzle game, and Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters. Both were decent enough... but contained rather too many MODE 1 elements, which let the overall presentation down.

More recently, via the homebrew scene, there have been some truly excellent conversions of arcade games to the SAM: Defender, Battlezone and Pang. Arcade conversions were always a big deal on the Spectrum, even though some were better than others... and it was always a dream of mine to have a few more of these conversions turn up on the SAM, ideally improving on the Spectrum versions, graphically.

To this end, I used to grab screenshots from the Spectrum, either by saving them to tape via Multiface 1 or transferring them directly via the Messenger interface, and then try to colour them up into MODE 4 glory.
Not bad... but nothing special either - it's fairly obvious that they've come from the Spectrum. Most of them didn't even deviate too far from the default Spectrum palette.

On other occasions, particularly if I'd played an arcade game myself and no conversion was available (or it was crap), I might try creating something myself, from memory, or using the closest existing Spectrum equivalent. Results here were... decidedly mixed...
(Dragon Ninja was a SAM upgrade of my own attempt at a Speccy version of the game, after Imagine's disappointing home conversion)

Alternatively, where screenshots of sufficient size/quality were available, either from the arcade or the 16-bit conversions, I might attempt to transcribe some elements pixel by pixel...
Image Image Image

More recently, though, I've taken to scouring the internet for actual arcade assets and downgrading them to the SAM using an optimised 16-colour palette. Results have been generally pretty good, and screenshot mockups have cause ripples of excitement on the SAM Users Facebook group...

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image

The Street Fighter adaptations are among the most recent ones I've done and, after the initial "There's already a version of Street Fighter for the SAM, why would you want to do another one?" reaction*, it kicked off a discussion about how the required scrolling could be accomplished. I put together a rudimentary demo of my own in BASIC, scrolling in 8px chunks (just like the arcade game, albeit slower), and a couple of the coders produced quick machine code engines, including a few using backgrounds from Street Fighter II, and offering vertical scrolling as well, to compensate for a smaller play window to keep the frame rate up.

Scrolling seems to be the main problem with the SAM - full screen would be basically impossible (though there are some demos out that that look reasonably smooth - moreso, at least, than the original Street Fighter arcade game) which is the main reason I added a bit of a frame to the Double Dragon screenshot mockups.

This was more of a technical exercise than an artistic one, and I've found it pretty fascinating to discover what can actually be accomplished with a halfway decent optimised 16-colour palette. I've got a few more of these on the go, but they will almost certainly remain the in 'pie-in-the-sky' category.

(* the answer, of course, is that the SAM version is based upon the horrifically botched Amiga/Atari ST conversion by the dreaded Tiertex, which somehow managed to be even less impressive than the arcade game it was based on. The existing SAM game is about as playable... but there has been a more recent attempt at salvaging a playable, worthwhile experience out of it, which might present a better basis for conversion)

Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Really enjoying this thread - thank you for posting. Great to see what might have been.

I had no idea there was a Street Fighter Port for the SAM, and, looking at it now it has to be said it's a ruddy great conversion of that dreadful Amiga version. It really shows Tietex up when you consider the hardware it is running on. I personally would favour prioritising the framerate, smoothness, playabiity over getting everything fullscreen and graphically impressive however. It is rather like that dire Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo CD32? port that looked great but played at a similarly poor frame rate.

I wonder what Double Dragon may be like as a flip-screen game rather than scrolling. It may be a workable compromise to frame rate/scrolling limitations of mode 4.

I only wish I had the coding skills to pull off something as impressive as your graphical mockups, they're really very impressive.
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Thanks, Spud!

While working on the Street Fighter stuff, I looked into how Tiertex bodged their conversion so badly... and it looks very much as though every frame of animation had to fit on a single (Atari ST) screen... which explains why, the larger the character, the fewer frames it got. Same was true of their unofficial 'Street Fighter 2', HKM/Human Killing Machine. Doesn't explain the seemingly random judderings of their opponent 'AI'... I gather Tiertex generally got work on their ability to meet deadlines and make products that looked good in screenshots.

Flip-screen presentation for Double Dragon was suggested in the SAM Users Facebook group. It could be made to work - some other home conversions used that method - but I'd be disappointed if there wasn't at least some push-scrolling on the SAM.

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Dug out a few more Spectrum upgrade pics from my archive... I should probably sort the disks a bit more thoroughly!

Aliens! Honestly, I'd be curious to see a SAM conversion of either Electric Dreams' adaptation or the 'US Edition', originally by Activision and converted to the Spectrum by Mr. Micro for ED. The ED adaptation is probably the better of the two, but Activision's gives a broader representation of the movie through a series of subgames in different styles... Though the Spectrum conversion is appalling.

I think I'd intended to do a few more screenshots from the Terminator 2 game... but I'm honestly not sure where I got this one as I never had the game. Another fine example of a palette barely altered from the Spectrum, and rudimentary coloured shading applied to the character portraits.

While the SAM didn't get a conversion of Smash TV, I think it's ideally suited to the format: single screens, and no scrolling. Again, this is basically the Spectrum palette with a couple of colours swapped out for the skintones of the player sprite.

What the SAM got instead was a game called Exodus, which had a whole disk devoted to an animated intro, and gameplay stripped down to the most basic "enemies pile in with no pattern to their arrival or movement, and you just have to shoot them till you collect enough items to move on to the next screen". The next screen was basically more of the same until you meet a boss. It looks fantastic (albeit getting very crowded), the music is amazing, the eight-directional player movement is fast and smooth, but it's ultimately very repetitive and, at times, downright unfair. Perhaps more fun with two players, though.

I often find myself thinking that the biggest problem with a lot of SAM games was that they were put together by people who didn't understand the traditional mechanics of the games they sought to emulate... Exodus is a prime example of this.

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

I learned only recently that there's a Spectrum conversion of Dune II, Westwood Studios' precursor to the Command & Conquer series... and it looks surprisingly good. Haven't played it yet, but it seems to be a fairly comprehensive conversion, even down to having some of the digitised speech.

Naturally, back in the mid 1990s, it occurred to me that the SAM should have something similar. By that point, I had no illusions of a licensed conversion, so I set about working on a similar-but-different game, adding in a point-and-click adventure section where the story could be fleshed out. The result was IRON...
... and I make no apologies for the pun there.
(Funny thing: initially, "HEXdidn't..." was a sub-brand of 1-9-9-2, per the logo in the top right corner (this was possibly a reference to the date 1/9/92, which seems to be the date I first admitted that programming in BASIC could actually be fun sometimes). Eventually, I dropped that entirely, and the sub-brand became my main 'identity' for all things creative.)

I honestly didn't get very far with this idea: at the time, I'd not played Dune II myself, and my exposure to strategy games was limited to the work of Julian Gollop. The hope, really, was that it'd turn out someone was already working on a similar strategy game, but was in need of a graphic artist. The interface was very derivative of Dune II but, as per usual with my early work on the SAM had a palette which was very much not optimised. The idea was that the game was based on an iron-rich planet, with literal deserts of rust, and the player was working for one of a group of companies licensed to mine there. Starting out with rust-sweepers in the deserts (essentially the Spice Harvesters from Dune II), and working up to true mining and refinement of ore from the mountains, there would be a variety of environments and equipment to use. To add combat into the game, each company would provide defensive troops and equipment, in case of encounters with rival companies... or possibly aliens. Weather would also be a factor in productivity, with rainstorms bringing more rust to the desert areas, but potentially causing flooding elsewhere. Storms could cause whole areas of landscape to become electrified, making them more hazardous to work without specialised (ie. more expensive) equipment. Like Dune II, there would be a production quota to meet in each round, and the idea would be to take over more and more of the planet, seeing off the competition along the way.
Image Image

The idea of having characters assigned to specific roles was probably more for the adventure portion than the strategy, but I guess some might have applied bonuses to things like attack power, repair speed, etc.
Image Image Image

Each of the six companies would have a default set of staff, but the player would be allowed to hire individuals as they saw fit, with the possible exception of one outfit, or where certain characters refused to work for certain companies for story reasons.

The style of these portraits has a bit of a story attached. During my late teens, I did some work experience at a London-based game developer, Teque London Ltd. During time I was there, they were working on the home conversions of Pit-Fighter for DoMark as a result of the publishing deal they'd signed for their passion-project, known at the time as 'Magic Force', but eventually rechristened Shadowlands. Their main graphic artist, Mark Anthony, was a huge manga fan, which is why the character portraits in Shadowlands are drawn that way. The style appealed to me and it's incredibly adaptable, so I ended up drawing character portraits like this in a couple of different SAM projects... but I think these are the better sets. While I still like these portraits, I suspect they would be better off with a more optimised palette. Some colours are over-represented, others are absent, which would have been detrimental to quality and variety of graphics elsewhere.

The point-and-click story section was the part I was most interested in, but I didn't get very far in that either. Precious few sprites, no maps, not even any individual locations... but I did put a couple of control panels together...
Image Image

Looking back, the idea of combining these two different game formats could have made the game a little disjointed... and, loading from floppy disk may have become tedious. At least these days, you can install things on hard disk via the ATOM/ATOM-Lite interfaces, or SD cards via the Trinity... Viva B-DOS!

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Subtitle: The Perils of Collaboration

One thing my memory is a bit hazy on is precisely how I came into contact with some other SAM users back in the day. The internet was not as ubiquitous, and I tended to be posting physical media and making/receiving phone calls. Pretty sure I didn't include my address or phone number in any of my PD demos, but I know I had them 'on file' with the publishers of FORMAT, so perhaps that's how it started?

However it happened, for a number of years, I was in contact with one guy who was very enthusiastic about the SAM (until he got an Amiga), and just as full of game ideas as me. Initially, he wanted to get into the coding side of things, and tried to develop a program to convert .BMP files into SAM SCREEN$. We bounced around ideas for, I think, just one game and one 'proof of concept'. Neither got very far - I created some graphics, but the coding didn't get off the ground. He ended up drafting in someone else to code the game idea he proposed, but things went even further off track with that...

I make no secret of the fact that I wanted to create a point-and-click adventure game on the SAM, influenced by games like The Secret of Monkey Island on the Amiga. There's a particular game that's been bubbling away at the back of my mind since about 1992/93, which I'd still like to complete at some point, and several coders offered to take it on back in the day... One even offered to write an accompanying novella! However, I have been reluctant to accept such offers because (a) the concept of the game is still not quite set in stone, and has changed dramatically in the intervening 30 years and (b) I never managed to complete enough work that I was truly happy with, or develop the story/puzzles adequately. And as far as a novella goes, it was - is - my story, and I'm hoping to do something along those lines myself one day.

I did, however, put together some unique material for a proof of concept point-and-click adventure, with just seven single-screen locations and a handful of simple puzzles to complete. The locations were mostly based on locations from existing games - including Simon the Sorcerer, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Legend of Kyrandia, DarkSeed, etc. All of them were sketched in pencil, then - get this - digitised on the Spectrum via a videocamera and the Videoface digitiser from Romantic Robot. They were saved to tape, loaded in on the SAM and upgraded from mono MODE 1 to full-colour MODE 4. As per usual, the palette isn't remotely optimised, but the results aren't awful... Just a bit flat and lifeless...
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

There were some odd ideas, like the Wizard's cottage was actually a TARDIS-style craft (operated by a SAM!), his 'wand' is actually the lever to switch on his controls, and you'd have to poison the troll to cross the bridge to reach the teleporters to make your escape. Pretty sure I have a 'complete solution' documented somewhere...

Image Image Image

Image Image

Ultimately, nothing came of this project... which is a bit of a shame...

Once the other guy drafted in a coder, he decided to plan a platform shoot-'em-up. I put together a panel for this, but progress on the sprites came to a standstill fairly quickly because the coder wanted to create something that looked semi-realistic, like Flashback, while the ideas man wanted to create something that looked full-on cartoon, like Premiere. I asked them to figure it out between themselves, and the next thing I knew, they'd called the whole thing off... Oh well... I still wasn't using an optimised palette, so I think I'd have struggled to get either format working well.
Image Image

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

It would probably come as no surprise (assuming I haven't already mentioned it somewhere) that, having worked on Reckless Rufus on the Spectrum during the early days of my ownership of a SAM Coupé, there was a natural urge to port my work over to the higher spec machine, on the off-chance that Alternative might spontaneously decide that they wanted to support the machine.

Needless to say, that didn't happen... And, to be honest, I'm now rather glad of that because, in those days, I really didn't make the best use of the SAM's improved graphics modes:
(This is genuinely embarrassing to look at now... It's even using the default - Spectrum mode - palette with no unique colours)

Back at the first RetCon I attended, I got talking to one of the other SAM folks I'd invited along, and the idea of actually tackling a conversion came up. It's a fun game and, having been working on The Lower Caverns for most of a year by that point, I felt I had a better grasp of what could be done on the SAM. Not least, I'd become less inclined to restrict myself to the legacy 8x8 pixel 'attribute' blocks, or 16x16 pixel tiles and sprites, so I imagined developing something that would look like an upgrade of the C64 version, more than the Spectrum version - a much larger play window with a much smaller, simpler panel at the bottom. It'd also be an opportunity to put in all the things that were missing from the Spectrum version - not least because they never appeared in the VHS recording I had worked with - as well as improving things that weren't as good on the Spectrum as they had been on the C64.

A couple of months after the event, I got in touch with the creator of the original game, Mike Berry, and, while he wasn't particularly familiar with the SAM or its capabilities, he was very enthusiastic about the possibility of his game being converted to another machine - he had fond memories of writing it, and still had some of the development tools he'd created for it.

I started out creating an optimised palette to match the C64 version as closely as possible, though I ended up with a washed-out yellow rather than white, and a lighter pink in place of the magenta:

Given that the SAM's screen resolution, like that of the Spectrum, is only 256x192, versus the 320x200 of the C64, even if I wanted the play area to span the full screen, I'd still have to trim the width quite substantially. My first move was to crunch the numbers on how to make the best use of the screen, given a border each side to accommodate the timer bar and a panel occupying no more than 32px of screen height along the bottom. Initially, this meant the platform tiles could be up to 18x23 pixels, though this was later revised to 18x22 pixels, allowing for a slight border between the play window and the panel. These dimensions may seem odd, but they actually don't look too bad... and, when output to a CRT via RF, the SAM's 5:4 aspect ratio makes them look almost square:
Image Image
(Square pixels on the left, 5:4 aspect ratio on the right)

Watching a playthrough of the C64 version on YouTube allowed me to determine which tiles I'd been unaware of for the Spectrum conversion, and I've been making small changes to the platform tiles ever since I started... with the current drafts looking more like this:

Most of the platforms are more extensively animated than the C64 or Spectrum versions, and I've added detail to both the 'Trekkie Doors' (which open horizontally) and the 'Hyperspace Doors' (which open vertically), as well as making the differences between normal tiles and some of the 'trick' platforms a bit more subtle.

Sprite-wise, the enemy sprites mostly worked as they were, and the optimised palette - along with the time I'd spent wrestling with the 12 colours available to me in The Lower Caverns - allowed me to create a range of colour variants for each of the enemy sprites:

Rufus, of course, needed to be completely redrawn and re-animated, but I'm pretty happy with the current draft:

While I would call this a 'work in progress', that progress has stalled somewhat over the last couple of years, partly because the coder has other things on his plate, but also because of copyright concerns: while the original creator of the game has given his blessing, we learned that Alternative sold off their entire back catalogue of games, and Reckless Rufus is available on Antstream. While I consider it highly unlikely that we'd get into any trouble for releasing a SAM conversion (not least because it'd be free), I have suggested alternate titles to apply to it in the event that any issues arise over the title.

I'm hoping this will come out eventually - the early builds are all pretty unstable, but they look good, and some of them even have sound.

HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

It is pretty much undeniable that one of the many things the SAM Coupé gaming scene lacks is a good shoot 'em up... then again, the SAM lacks good examples of all kinds of games...

Since scrolling is a huge issue, I started thinking about recent games that work within a flip-screen environment... and two particular examples stood out to me: The Binding of Isaac and Dead Estate. This is the first of my explorations of the latter format: isometric presentation, with the player character controlled via keyboard/joystick, and the target controlled by the mouse... If nothing else, it'd be a good advertisement for the mouse interface...

This currently uses my usual optimised 16-colour palette, but I may end up experimenting with some alternatives...

Funnily enough, I've been discussing with the coder on The Lower Caverns what he/we could do next* and, amongst the many options, a couple of different isometric adventure games have come up. Slower-paced, but just as interesting, I think.

(* before the inevitable follow-up, that is)