Habits you have because of anything Spectrum

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Habits you have because of anything Spectrum

Post by worcestersource »

We have an under-the-counter fridge in our kitchen and whenever I open it, I crouch down to the death tune of Mr Wimpy being killed. Somehow in my head, I’m shrinking into the floor.

My teenage son asked me why I did this and thought I was crazy at my explanation.

But it got me thinking what else, at the age of 46, do I apparently do because I still think I’m a kid playing Spectrum games? Turns out I like jumping up kerbs, either legs outstretched or walking in the air like Henhouse Harry and, of course, making noises as I do it.

Son says this isn’t normal. Is he right?
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Re: Habits you have because of anything Spectrum

Post by flatduckrecords »

Hahaha. I’m not sure it’s from any specific game but it’s a lot * of fun, when you are taking a swig of some juice, to make cartoony glug-glug noises as if you’re drinking a magic potion. Throw a hero pose for maximum effect. I do it all the time.

* a bit
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

When faced with stairs I have to be really careful. If I walk straight towards them, I’m ok, and continue upwards, but if I decide to do my signature ‘jump’ before them I fall straight through!!!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It's not quite the same, but I often absent mindedly press F1 when a piece of software is running slower than I'd like. It's a shame my laptop doesn't have an option to speed up the processor a hundred times like my Speccy emulator.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Typing quickly without looking at the keyboard. So many text adventures played in my youth.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

I'm unable to remember where the symbols are placed in my mobile keyboard (it doesn't help that every Android mobile puts them on different places). Strangely, I always try to obtain * from the b key...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

zup wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:10 pm I'm unable to remember where the symbols are placed in my mobile keyboard (it doesn't help that every Android mobile puts them on different places). Strangely, I always try to obtain * from the b key...
Yep, and also I keep wanting to use 8 and 9 for brackets, not the bloody 9 and 0!
ionut76
Dizzy

Post by ionut76 »

When I am walking on tiles I always expect one to lower a bit and something to open. Also, I collect tapes, all kinds of cables, various parts of computers etc., they have to fit somewhere for sure.
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

I've learned English from playing text adventures. So every time I read on this site it's because of that. :D
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Hmm, collecting. Because I occasionally ran out of blank tapes back when I originally used my Speccy everyday (well, almost everyday), I developed a slight tendency to, err, always have plenty of spares.

This continued with VHS tapes, recordable CDs, DVDs, CF cards, SD cards, USB memory sticks, HDDs etc…

Although my backup routine is, err, far from routine :oops: , I do have backups going back over twenty years. As I don’t reuse the backup media or HDDs. It’s just easier to buy a new, larger HDD…

And all because the lady loves Milk Tray, err, sorry, and all because I hated losing my latest, err, masterpiece of programming! :twisted:

Mark

PS, I’m currently enjoying a chocolate from a box of Milk Tray :dance
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Waldroid
Microbot

Post by Waldroid »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:18 pm Yep, and also I keep wanting to use 8 and 9 for brackets, not the bloody 9 and 0!
You know, I can touch-type pretty quickly, but when it comes to punctuation on the top row I always stop and peer along the number keys to find the symbol I'm after.

Perhaps that's why?
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Waldroid wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:03 pm You know, I can touch-type pretty quickly, but when it comes to punctuation on the top row I always stop and peer along the number keys to find the symbol I'm after.

Perhaps that's why?
I think I’m the same. I commented to my students how I hit the wrong keys for brackets and now I know the reason why!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Thanks to the Spectrum I learn to write on a typewriter soon by typing up so many BASIC lists from the magazines.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

BITD Sinclair User had a "Next Month" feature one month where they wrote some words phonetically in the style of some mutants. I've recenty realised that when I'm idly talking to myself, I'll often say something like "[something something] as usual", but instead of saying "as usual", I say "as uzjarl", taken from that article.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

1) Wearing t-shirt with stripes when loading car.
2) Walking in mid-air when I jump
3) Changing in werewolf in night
4) Pretending work and hoping my boss will not cast disbelieve

:D

I strongly prefer paper with squares to make notes or when I'm just doodling. I guess I designed too many UDG characters in school.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

catmeows wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:43 am I strongly prefer paper with squares to make notes or when I'm just doodling. I guess I designed too many UDG characters in school.
Definitely this! It just makes so much more sense, as even when just making notes you can rotate the page and you still have lines to write on! the squares guide you when you're sketching outlines and are perfect for copying down passwords and email addresses, one square per letter so you don't mistake them.

There are a couple of us engineers at work insist they keep a couple of squared logbooks next to the lined ones in the stationary store. A lot of European school notebooks use squared paper, some alternate between ruled and squared paper. I buy them up whenever they show up in LIDL.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Being so used to getting pretty damned good games for just two quid back in the day, I'm notoriously frugal with buying new games. The most modern console I have is a PlayStation 3, and I can count the amount of games I have for that on the fingers of one hand. I bought Grand Theft Auto Five second-hand from CEX, and a few other titles via re-release labels (the modern day equivalent of The Hit Squad or Kixx).

(That's not to say I didn't spend upwards of £60 on the very latest Call Of Duty last year for the PS5, but that was for my nephew's Christmas present and now he thinks I'm awesome.)
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

It could play all your Spectrum games as well.

1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Is that a Hobbit (Хоббит)?

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Almost forgot. I played a lot of Feud back in the day. One day I had a walk out into the overgrown fields that were marked for a housing development with my aunt. She pointed the weeds that had started to grow with pretty flowers, like ragwort. I got quite excited that ragwort was an actual thing and not made up just for the game. Snapdragons, fox gloves, burdock. I became an amateur botanist at spotting scratty weeds.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Not into classical music, but I can recognise classical pieces thanks to many a Speccy game. Hall of the Mountain King, Greensleeves, Four Seasons, Radetzky Marsch etc.

Could be a good quiz? Match the piece to the game. More than one answer!
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

My mum's disabled and I have to stretch her legs up and down every evening. This motion is often accompanied by my rendition of the Manic Miner jumping sound :D
jpnz
Manic Miner

Post by jpnz »

The equipment I test has a quick setup command called the Jump Start Wizard - I use this pretty much every day
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

Certain numbers are stuck in my mind forever and I use them in various things. Numbers such as 16384, 23613, 23658, 6912, etc.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

zxbruno wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:07 am Certain numbers are stuck in my mind forever and I use them in various things. Numbers such as 16384, 23613, 23658, 6912, etc.
That sounds like a number that should be stuck in my head but isn't. Consulting the manual now...

...ERR SP. No, I haven't got that far with machine code programming yet.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!