Need Help with ZX Spectrum +3 Box Measurements

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
TomaszKRK78
Drutt

Need Help with ZX Spectrum +3 Box Measurements

Post by TomaszKRK78 »

Hello Sinclair enthusiasts!

I recently fulfilled my childhood dream and got myself a ZX Spectrum +3 retro computer. It's been a long-time wish, and I'm excited to own it now. However, I didn't receive the original box and styrofoam packaging with it. Unfortunately, getting them nowadays seems nearly impossible.

I thought about creating a makeshift replacement box myself to protect and display my beloved ZX Spectrum +3. I want to make it as close as possible to the original design. But to do that, I need the exact measurements of the external box.

If any of you have the original ZX Spectrum +3 box and wouldn't mind helping me, could you please measure the external dimensions for me? Your assistance would mean a lot, and it will help me preserve this piece of computing history in the best possible way.

Thank you all so much in advance for your help and support!

Best regards,
Tomasz
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: Need Help with ZX Spectrum +3 Box Measurements

Post by TMD2003 »

I've got a box for a +2A, though not for a +3. Knowing Amstrad, there's no way they'd ever have made boxes in two different sizes, they'd just cut the expanded polystyrene differently. Right?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Welcome @TomaszKRK78. I can measure mine later today if no-one beats me to it.
TMD2003 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:07 am I've got a box for a +2A, though not for a +3. Knowing Amstrad, there's no way they'd ever have made boxes in two different sizes, they'd just cut the expanded polystyrene differently. Right?
More than likely.
TomaszKRK78
Drutt

Post by TomaszKRK78 »

Thank you both, @TMD2003 and @R-Tape, for your willingness to help! I appreciate it. It would be great if you guys could measure your ZX Spectrum boxes later. I’m curious to know if both the +2A and +3 boxes have the same dimensions. Thanks again!
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

TomaszKRK78 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:32 am Hello Sinclair enthusiasts!

I recently fulfilled my childhood dream and got myself a ZX Spectrum +3 retro computer. It's been a long-time wish, and I'm excited to own it now. However, I didn't receive the original box and styrofoam packaging with it. Unfortunately, getting them nowadays seems nearly impossible.

I thought about creating a makeshift replacement box myself to protect and display my beloved ZX Spectrum +3. I want to make it as close as possible to the original design. But to do that, I need the exact measurements of the external box.

If any of you have the original ZX Spectrum +3 box and wouldn't mind helping me, could you please measure the external dimensions for me? Your assistance would mean a lot, and it will help me preserve this piece of computing history in the best possible way.

Thank you all so much in advance for your help and support!

Best regards,
Tomasz
I've got a +3 box:
W 22cm
H 14cm
L 58cm

TomD
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Ahh, but the real question is, were the boxes the same, or different sizes compared to the +2 (grey), and, but not only, were the Spanish boxes a difference size…

Especially as the different Amstrad 128 models used slightly different plastic cases…

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I don't know about the Spanish ones @1024MAK, but the +2 Grey is indeed the same as the +3. It depends where you measure from, so @TomD's are probably better measurements given they are whole centimeters, but I make it : 57.5 x 22 x 14 cm.

And for what it's worth, the Sinclair A-Bike's box is 70 x 40 x 20 cm, which is incredibly compact for an unrideable deathtrap.