Popular SAM Coupé Misconceptions

Play it once, SAM. For old times' sake.
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Popular SAM Coupé Misconceptions

Post by HEXdidnt »

This has been bubbling away in the back of my mind since I read "Why The SAM Coupé Could Not Save The ZX Spectrum" at the back of the Crash 2023 annual. While it's certainly nice to have eight full-colour pages devoted to my favourite home microcomputer, I found myself cringing at the inaccuracy of some of the information presented.

It gets off to a bad start by misspelling Alan Miles' name as 'Allan'. 'Alain' might have been a more forgivable typo, since that's his nom de plume as a writer of fiction. However it happened, though, misspelling the name of one of the key players in the SAM's creation in the article's second paragraph sets the tone for its low editorial standards.

Additionally, we have:
  • "It loaded Spectrum software from tapes twice as fast as the Spectrum itself": This is physically impossible, as it would require running the tape at a higher rate. It's a misunderstanding of one of the SAM's lesser-used features - it was possible to adjust the rate of data transfer to tape when saving, thereby making it quicker to load back in... But only the SAM's own data, not data intended for the Spectrum, and certainly not data accessed via one of the Spectrum emulators.

From the User's Guide...
    DEVICE T use tape running at standard speed to SAVE data
    DEVICE T35 use tape running at fast speed to SAVE data
    35 is the top speed likely to prove feasible for saving data on to tape, 112 is a standard, relatively slow speed. Unfortunately, fast speeds are less reliable than slow ones. There is no need to remember at what speed you saved your data, because the LOAD command automatically copes with the full range of speeds.
    Really simple BASIC instruction, though it's unlikely to have been used much because very few SAM owners would have chosen tape storage, particularly for larger files.

The author has cited a piece written by Mel Croucher, for Crash issue 71 (December 1989, see also on Archive.org), which he has simply taken at face value:
    DAY SEVEN
    OK, I admit it. After five days I’m impressed. The SAM Coupe is the best 8-bit machine I have ever experienced. It seems to save and load off cassette twice as fast as the Spectrum, and gameplay is fast.
    Croucher also wrote the SAM Coupé Users Guide, so there's clearly some bias at play, but this article is also riddled with factual errors and misunderstandings, so it's a terrible source for quoting.
  • "The first release was sold without a floppy drive, contributing to the machine's out-of-date image": This is entirely untrue. In fact, the floppy drive was an optional add-in at first, so one could buy a driveless SAM if preferred - tape software was available, after all - but a one-drive setup was considered optimal at launch, and twin-drive SAMs were available from the get-go. One reason for this was that MGT were behind the DISCiPLE and Plus D floppy drive upgrades for the ZX Spectrum, and SAMDOS was a development of the DOS used by those. As a result, users of these drives could opt to plug in their existing floppy drive via an external interface, thus saving some money.

Later on, the driveless SAM option was dropped, and was not revisited by SAM Computers Ltd. after MGT went into liquidation during the 1990 recession. However, there was a tape-only 'Gamestar' package being pushed by Format Publications, later on, alongside their "SAM élite", in which one of the built-in floppy drive ports was bodged into a Parallel port.
  • "By the time the ROM was updated, the lack of third-party support had doomed the new machine.": The ROM was updated quickly and promptly despatched - free of charge - to early adopters of the SAM. It had zero effect on third party support, which had only ever been theoretical. In fact, lack of third party support was effectively the least of the SAM's problems. Additionally, the ROM bug was little more than an inconvenience, with a simple command input after booting allowing the floppy drive to be used (mostly) as normal. It didn't affect the running of any software.

The computer press at the time had long been reporting conjecture and blue sky thinking as confirmation of support, as most software publishers of the day had a "wait and see" attitude, none wanting to be the first to commit to supporting the new machine (wise, if disappointing, considering what had happened to the likes of Imagine by overstretching their resources).

On a more positive note, the lack of third party support only gave smaller publishers (eg. Enigma Variations, FRED, Format) and PD libraries more room to thrive in the SAM's early days, though SAMCo's own software publishing arm, Revelation, no doubt contributed to their downfall through spreading their resources too thinly. MGT hadn't had the budget to properly market the SAM, SAMCo certainly didn't have the budget for that and software promotion. Third party support was doomed by SAMCo's demise, not the other way round... Which leads us neatly to...
  • "The few software publishers who had expressed an interest in it cancelled all SAM Coupé projects. US Gold had considered bringing Strider to the Coupé using code from the Spectrum version of the game and the graphics from the Atari ST, a technique Miles and Gordon vainly hoped would catch on. When MGT when bust, the project was abandoned.": This is the most commonly cited bit of SAM apocrypha. As mentioned above, this was only ever conjecture - a representative of US Gold had been interviewed by the Speccy press and theorised that Strider could be converted this way in about two weeks. There were sadly never any plans to do so, and a project not undertaken cannot be 'abandoned'. I don't recall any interviews with Alan Miles or Bruce Gordon where they passed comment on this kind of conjecture, but I'd imagine they would have liked the sound of it... but preferred a little action over all the talk.

Games like Prince of Persia, Lemmings, KLAX, Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters, etc. were basically put together by bedroom coders within the SAM scene and presented to publishers as faits accomplis, dramatically reducing the risk of publishing - all any of them had to do was print up some 'SAM Coupé Version" stickers to slap on their existing stock of boxes. Most didn't even bother amending the manuals, preferring to put in a photocopied sheet of SAM-specific addenda.
  • "The rubber feet on which the SAM Coupé stood were often lampooned.": I don't think the author of the article knows what 'lampooned' means. The blue 'feet' were certainly a talking point in the press, but they were hardly ridiculed or criticised, they were simply part of its design. Not sure where the author was going with this point. The case may occasionally have ridiculed, due to the fact that the side view looked a bit like car, and its built-in wrist rest wasn't exactly comfortable, but the built-in drive slots were generally praised for their design efficiency.
  • "Text Modes: 32x192, 512x192; Graphics Modes: 256x192, 512x192": This is just confusing and woefully incomplete. The SAM has four screen modes: MODE 1 is Spectrum emulation mode (256x192px broken up into 32x24 2-colour attribute blocks of 8x8 px each) with support for BRIGHT, FLASH, etc. and with 16 colours (technically 8+8, due to the BRIGHT bit). MODE 2 is similar to one of the MSX screen modes, same resolution, but broken up into 32x192 2-colour attribute blocks of 8x1 px, and with 16 colours available. MODE 3 is the 'productivity' mode, with a screen resolution of 512x192 offering 64 column text without affecting the legibility, but with only 4 colours. MODE 4 was the SAM's unrestricted 16-colour mode, still running at 256x192px, but with no attribute blocks to worry about.
Additionally, the piece is fairly dismissive of what little 'big name' software was published for the SAM, mentioning just Manic Miner, Batz'n'Balls, Defenders of the Earth, Prince of Persia and Lemmings in a single box-out. Nothing about the recent additions coming via the homebrew scene, such as the arcade conversions Defender and Battlezone, the port of Rick Dangerous, or even the complete conversion of Pang that originally appeared as an easter egg in a music demo. There are several mentions of Mel (Automata) Croucher, who wrote the User's Guide, and images of the SAM robot are used liberally... but the artist, Robin Evans, isn't credited once. Evans sold the rights to his illustrations and the SAM robot design to Andrews UK some years back, but they're not credited either.

The bit where David Ledbury is quoted as saying that 12,000 machines were sold is likely to have been cut-and-pasted from one of his Facebook comments in the SAM users group, as David wasn't consulted on the article (he's actually rather upset that he wasn't asked before being quoted - that's just bad form)... and it's pretty insulting that he's described simply as an "enthusiast" considering he worked at SAMCo and was, for a while, an independent publisher of SAM software himself.

While the conclusion of the article is harsh, I can't call it untrue or inaccurate... However, there's no mention of the SAM's continued existence or the current state of the scene - Quazar would certainly warrant some mention if nothing else. There's no mention of the SAM's six-channel stereo sound, built-in MIDI connectivity, networking support (intended to make the machine appealing in an education environment), or even the earliest hardware add-ons.

The SAM scene may not be thriving in quite the same way as the modern Spectrum scene... but it's certainly not dead and buried, as the article suggests. I think it's generally accepted that the SAM may have been more successful had it been made even just one year earlier but, with 16-bit machines already available, the market was moving on. At the end of the day, though, the pitch of the article is all wrong: The SAM Coupé was never intended to 'save the ZX Spectrum'. Prolong user interest in the 8-bit market, perhaps, but it was an upgrade from the ZX Spectrum that (theoretically) wouldn't require a whole new library of software thanks to its Spectrum compatibility.

But the other big misconception is about the SAM's oft-mentioned 'Spectrum compatibility'. Yes, its screen MODE 1 is designed to emulate the Spectrum's display (and I gather invoking MODE 1 also slows down the processor..?), but you can't just plug a Spectrum cassette into the SAM and expect to be able to LOAD "". The fact that the SAM requires the use of Spectrum emulator software means it's exactly as 'Spectrum compatible' as any computer running a Spectrum emulator.

Aside from all that, here's a misconception of my own:
Something that came up in @Alessandro's excellent Spectrumpedia Volume 1 was an interesting nugget about the SAM's palette, for which there are several conflicting stories. The book states that the SAM palette:
should have included 256 colours, but insufficient space on the ASIC chip cause it to be halved
This was taken from WorldOfSAM.org's page about hardware bugs:
The limit of 128 colour palette (64 colours with 64 BRIGHT) as opposed to the desired 256 was allegedly due to not having enough spare physical pins on the ASIC’s die to accommodate it. As it stands there are two pins for each colour (Red, Green and Blue) and a BRIGHT output meaning that there are three bits for each colour, top two bits as per the colour pins output and the least significant bit set by the BRIGHT setting.
but, there's another page about the SAM palette with a slight variation/expansion on that story:
Originally the machine was envisaged to have 256 colours but limited to 64 colours on the development machine due to a shortage of pins on the ASIC that was to be used, but had the extra intensity (BRIGHT) added on Simon Goodwin's suggestion in it's pre-ASIC design stage to give 128.

According to an interview with Bo Jangeborg intervention whilst writing Flash! also upped it to 128:
"I convinced them to do away with the hardware flash in the high colour modes. That allowed for a significantly larger pallet. I think it went from 64 to 128 colours. That also allowed me to transfer some pictures from the Atari without too big a degradation."
I'd always believed it was a bug in the ASIC, rather than a physical hardware issue, that led to the SAM having 128 colours as opposed to 256 - that the BRIGHT bit was supposed to be applicable to each channel independently, rather than all three at once. I had a conversation about this with David Ledbury some time back, and his recollection was that it was originally only going to have 64 colours, but a last-minute change of supplier for the ASIC offered the opportunity to add the BRIGHT bit, doubling the size of the palette.

Interesting how there are different stories about this, and a couple of different people claiming responsibility for boosting the palette from 64 to 128 colours.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Popular SAM Coupé Misconceptions

Post by 1024MAK »

Normally the problem is not insufficient pins on the die, but rather insufficient pins on the chip package.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

HEXdidnt wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:53 pm
But the other big misconception is about the SAM's oft-mentioned 'Spectrum compatibility'. Yes, its screen MODE 1 is designed to emulate the Spectrum's display (and I gather invoking MODE 1 also slows down the processor..?), but you can't just plug a Spectrum cassette into the SAM and expect to be able to LOAD "".
That's not a misconception,. If you had the machine when it was first released then that was exactly how you loaded Spectrum cassettes. The emulator software came later when it became clear just how bad the compatibility actually was.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Forgive me, as my knowledge of the SAM is not great. But as I understand it, as supplied, it did not have a copy of the ZX Spectrum ROM. If this is the case, then any code which required or used any part of the ZX Spectrum ROM directly (thinking of machine code mainly) could never have been compatible.

What else could or did cause compatibility problems?
I presume the memory map is the same?
I presume that includes the screen data layout?
Further, I presume the keyboard matrix and the other I/O functions are the same/similar?
Is the system interrupt the same?

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:44 am Forgive me, as my knowledge of the SAM is not great. But as I understand it, as supplied, it did have a copy of the ZX Spectrum ROM.
It didn't have the Spectrum ROM, but MGT sent out instructions to customers on how to save the ROM out of their Spectrum which could then be used on the SAM. Even then, the majority of games still didn't work.
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

StooB wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:56 am That's not a misconception,. If you had the machine when it was first released then that was exactly how you loaded Spectrum cassettes. The emulator software came later when it became clear just how bad the compatibility actually was.
Can't have been that much later, as the MGT emulator was on the SAMDOS disks. I can't say I ever tried loading a Spectrum game straight into the SAM, but equally never saw any indication that would be - or was even intended to be - possible. There were a few Spectrum games released with a 'SAM Coupé Compatible' sticker added, but even those instructed that the emulator should be loaded first.

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

HEXdidnt wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:35 pm Can't have been that much later, as the MGT emulator was on the SAMDOS disks. I can't say I ever tried loading a Spectrum game straight into the SAM, but equally never saw any indication that would be - or was even intended to be - possible.
From the original brochure: "most commercial 48K (but not 128K) software is going to work in graphics mode 1. But which titles? MGT continually tests as much software as possible and will list those titles which are known to be fully compatible."
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

StooB wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:56 pm From the original brochure: "most commercial 48K (but not 128K) software is going to work in graphics mode 1. But which titles? MGT continually tests as much software as possible and will list those titles which are known to be fully compatible."
While that may have been the hope in the beginning, I don't believe the brochure accurately reflects the end result and, as far as I'm aware, MGT never published a list of software that could be loaded without the need of an emulator.

When loading from startup, Spectrum BASIC programs are differentiated on the SAM as

Code: Select all

*BASIC: [filename]
and even they aren't fully compatible.

EDIT, supplemental: from WorldOfSAM.org...
One of the selling points used to position the Coupé in the marketplace (which is often debated as both a good or bad move on the part of MGT) was as the upgrade to the ZX Spectrum and thus you could play backwardly compatible speccy games whilst enjoying the new features of the machine.

This meant that MGT had to provide some form of emulation to ship with the machine to allow this and was supplied with the machine in the MGT Utility Tapes.

What users were not told at this stage was that the emulation was for the 48K only and not the 128K machines, in fact emulation of the 128K’s memory map would prove impossible at workable speeds. Simon Cooke began work on an emulator that ran at best at about 1/16th of the required speed although many demos and games were converted manually to great effect by people like Simon Cooke, Stefan Drissen and Edwin Blink.

dvduk
Drutt

Post by dvduk »

StooB wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:10 pm It didn't have the Spectrum ROM, but MGT sent out instructions to customers on how to save the ROM out of their Spectrum which could then be used on the SAM. Even then, the majority of games still didn't work.
It got mentioned in a number of Sam mags on how to do this - including I think Floormat.
Pretty sure that it included details on patching the snapshot code into it as well - will have to check that in back issues to make sure.

Loading was a matter of just loading a 48k snapshot from disk when the code was loaded.
Can also be found at SamstersVideos - which does occasionally update when I have time...
dvduk
Drutt

Post by dvduk »

Turned out that a good number of 128 games could be used, with some adjustment to the paging structure, and using a special music player to handle the different soundchip.

Was just having a quick game of Chase HQ 128 earlier as a matter of fact :)
Can also be found at SamstersVideos - which does occasionally update when I have time...
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

dvduk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:27 pm Loading was a matter of just loading a 48k snapshot from disk when the code was loaded.
Yup - and snapshots made on the Spectrum for use via MGT's floppy drive interfaces for that machine, could also be loaded on the SAM, but still needed the ROM code.

As far as I can tell, the only exception to this is when using the ZX-Ecutor interface from Quazar, which allows ZX Spectrum Interface II carts to run on the SAM. There are two options, one runs at original Spectrum speed, the other runs at full SAM speed.

dvduk
Drutt

Post by dvduk »

Yes - the emulator supplied couldn't obviously have a full emulation without annoying people at the Sugar Factory - but from all accounts Graham Mason (as I think it was he!) did a pretty fair job emulating some core routines.

One of the first pieces I recall about using the actual ROM appeared in Jan 90's Floormat:
http://www.nevilley.org.uk/nfy53/sam/f_ ... sue=030514

Later versions included adding snapshot code (i think by extracting part of the official emulator)
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

dvduk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:51 pm Turned out that a good number of 128 games could be used, with some adjustment to the paging structure, and using a special music player to handle the different soundchip.

Was just having a quick game of Chase HQ 128 earlier as a matter of fact :)
I get the impression that any and all 128K games could be used, once the necessary adjustments to the code are made... but that's still kinda stretching the definition of 'Spectrum Compatible' in my books.

There's also a means of getting them running via a 1Mb memory brick (for those few who own one!), but it's a relatively new thing that I haven't explored properly yet.

dvduk
Drutt

Post by dvduk »

Think the vast majority can be with minimal changes - if theres anything that uses the second screen on the 128 - that'd take more of a rewrite.

ANY should work with degrees of work though.

The 1 meg trick is sort of in between the two in success, as you'd still have to rework ones using the 128 other screen memory.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:44 am I presume the memory map is the same?
I presume that includes the screen data layout?
Yes, it can be arranged to match a 48K Spectrum. RAM can be paged into 0x0000–0x3FFF and write-protected to act as ROM. SAM screen "Mode 1" is the same as the Spectrum display file and attributes. The VMPR (video memory paging register) is used to instruct the ASIC which page to display, and which screen-mode to interpret it as.

SAM pages are 16KB but the ASIC manages them in blocks of 32KB - so each half of the address space can be paged independently. In the case of emulating the Spectrum, you would set the LMPR (low memory paging register) to the 16K page containing the copy of the Spectrum ROM. The next page adjacent to that is automatically paged in as well (at 0x4000–0x7FFF). And since that's where the Spectrum ROM expects the screen data, we must also tell the VMPR to use that page for display. E.g. if you stick the Spectrum ROM in page 12, the screen data would need to be in page 13; and so on.
1024MAK wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:44 am Further, I presume the keyboard matrix and the other I/O functions are the same/similar?
Yes, for the keys that are common to both machines, the ports are the same: bits 0–4 of port 0xFE (254 dec). (If you load an unmodified Spectrum ROM these are the only keys that will respond. Later emulators accounted for this and patched in support for the punctuation and function keys, etc). To read those extra keys on SAM, bits 5, 6 & 7 of port 0xF9 (249 dec) provide the additional top-three bits. (Giving an 8x8 matrix, if I've understood that correctly!)

Also similar to the Spectrum, bit 6 of 0xFE (254 dec) gives the EAR input for tape loading, and the border can be set by writing the lower bits of that port. I presume anything else essential must be the same as well.
1024MAK wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:44 am Is the system interrupt the same?
Maybe someone with more experience can weigh in, but mostly yes? You have the 50Hz frame interrupt, plus SAM has additional interrupts for Line, RS232 and MIDI. The documentation mentions a mouse interrupt but I don't believe that was implemented (the official SamCo mouse works in a different way). The programmer must interrogate the STATUS register (the lower bits of 0xF9 (249 dec)) to determine the type of interrupt that was generated. Without networking hardware attached I think you can expect only frame interrupts unless you request a line interrupt by writing to 0xF9 (249 dec) first, or BASIC, or loading a SCREEN$ with embedded line palette changes. So, by default, it should(?) be the same.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

An aside: I just spotted this statement on the zxnet wiki (I haven't read the referenced interview):
The phrase Coupé is said [...] to relate to the distinctive appearance of the machine, and an 'ice cream coupé' that was served at a restaurant.
That would be confusion on somebody's part somewhere, because coupé means "(having been) cut" — like the short model of sports car — while a dish for ice-cream is a coupe or "cup" (no accent on the last letter).
dvduk
Drutt

Post by dvduk »

IIR - from what I recall - Alan Miles advised me that it was based on the name of an Ice Cream - and due to the profile resembling a car... particularly with the feet/wheels.

Despite some well intended sites misunderstanding - SAM was always "Some Amazing Micro" not any other abreviation :)
dvduk
Drutt

Post by dvduk »

flatduckrecords wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:50 pm Yes, for the keys that are common to both machines, the ports are the same: bits 0–4 of port 0xFE (254 dec). (If you load an unmodified Spectrum ROM these are the only keys that will respond. Later emulators accounted for this and patched in support for the punctuation and function keys, etc). To read those extra keys on SAM, bits 5, 6 & 7 of port 0xF9 (249 dec) provide the additional top-three bits. (Giving an 8x8 matrix, if I've understood that correctly!)
Very handy guide for keyboard reading from Balor Price here:

https://cookingcircle.co.uk/post/767441 ... -revisited
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Aha, thanks @dvduk. Bookmarked!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Thanks for answering my questions everyone :geek: :D

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

StooB wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:10 pm It didn't have the Spectrum ROM, but MGT sent out instructions to customers on how to save the ROM out of their Spectrum which could then be used on the SAM. Even then, the majority of games still didn't work.
Oops bad experience then for a new owner, I think you would have to copy from a friends ZX as most people I would imagine had to sell their current computer to fund the new one (and hope they hadn't upgraded to some sort of 128k).
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Van_Dammesque wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:30 pm Oops bad experience then for a new owner, I think you would have to copy from a friends ZX as most people I would imagine had to sell their current computer to fund the new one (and hope they hadn't upgraded to some sort of 128k).
Agreed - I can imagine lots of new users being rather pissed off about that if they had sold on their Spectrum.

By the time the SAM came along, my family already had three Spectrums and, being the hoarders we are, never even considered the possibility that my SAM should be a replacement for any of them - my folks still have all three to this day, and I got my dad a DivMMC for his birthday a couple of years ago, so he can get more use out of his +3, then did the Composite Video mod on the two 48K models more recently, to make them easier to use on modern TVs.

Once I had the SAM, I stopped using 'my' Spectrum as often, but could have reverted to that if I found a game that wouldn't load on the SAM. However, between the stock emulator, the later entries like SAMSpec/SAMTape from Lerm, and the Messenger interface, I never had any problems playing Speccy games on the SAM if I really wanted to.

To be fair, though, I pretty much stopped playing Spectrum games after a year or two larking about on the SAM, and ended up with an Amiga for games.

dvduk
Drutt

Post by dvduk »

I'd snapshotted with PlusD the majority of 48K games I used commonly, so didn't have any issues really.

I used SpecMaker myself as an emulator, which was very handy for running PCG DTP system. Used the extended keyboard, and allowed a ramdisk using
Quazar
Drutt

Post by Quazar »

HEXdidnt wrote: As far as I can tell, the only exception to this is when using the ZX-Ecutor interface from Quazar, which allows ZX Spectrum Interface II carts to run on the SAM. There are two options, one runs at original Spectrum speed, the other runs at full SAM speed.
Yes. The ZX ROM cartridges don't use the internal Spectrum ROM code. The Interface II was designed to disable the internal ROM and place the cartridge in the 0-16383 memory window, so the games that were released were fully self contained with no dependence on the standard ROM.

ZX-ECUTOR does make simple speccy emulation easy too, by putting the standard ZX ROM on a flash memory cartridge you can have the SAM start up with it!

HEXdidnt wrote: Quazar would certainly warrant some mention if nothing else.
Thank you for the sentiments there. So much released over the last 30 years, and so many projects in the works including 'Pandemonium' a new SAM machine to use the last of the original custom ASIC chips that I tracked down and bought.

But to the subject of misconceptions, they unfortunately continue unabated. I try to reply on twitter / blogs / posts where I see incorrect stuff being printed.

Another magazine in the shops had an article at the end of last year. While it was primarily a review of my SAM Mechanical Keyboard, the opening paragraph was a synopsis of the SAM, complete with wrong information. For example, it stated MGT was based in Cambridge (it was originally, but moved to Swansea early in SAM's development), the usual regurgitation of sales figures (I've heard figures differing from 12,000... some slightly higher, some lower... really, we will never know.) and that MGT discontinued the SAM in 1992. No, MGT wen't bust in 1990! SAMCo took over, went bust in June 1992.. but the SAM lived on was still available commercially up to early 1999. When I mentioned this to the article writer / editor at the time I had no response from them. The new editor later cited "Research Oversights" and the matter was closed.
HEXdidnt wrote: mentioning just Manic Miner, Batz'n'Balls, Defenders of the Earth, Prince of Persia and Lemmings
It's always the same old titles that are mentioned everywhere, which are repeated and repeated endlessly between articles showing no research.

Due to the lack of support from mainstream software houses SAM had a wealth of original, unique software. I've spent a lot of time tracking down authors, buying rights on a few occasions, in order to get titles back out there via the cover disks included with SAM Revival magazine and soon to be re-released larger games as cased versions, with the odd update and Trinity support. (Video of games on SAM Revival at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kfZIY3Ha4)
Quazar - Developing for the SAM Coupé for 30+ Years!
Hardware, Software, 'SAM Revival' magazine -> www.samcoupe.com
Plus hardware for the ZX Spectrum, RC2014 and other general retro peripherals.
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Quazar wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:11 am But to the subject of misconceptions, they unfortunately continue unabated. I try to reply on twitter / blogs / posts where I see incorrect stuff being printed.

Another magazine in the shops had an article at the end of last year. While it was primarily a review of my SAM Mechanical Keyboard, the opening paragraph was a synopsis of the SAM, complete with wrong information. For example, it stated MGT was based in Cambridge (it was originally, but moved to Swansea early in SAM's development), the usual regurgitation of sales figures (I've heard figures differing from 12,000... some slightly higher, some lower... really, we will never know.) and that MGT discontinued the SAM in 1992. No, MGT wen't bust in 1990! SAMCo took over, went bust in June 1992.. but the SAM lived on was still available commercially up to early 1999. When I mentioned this to the article writer / editor at the time I had no response from them. The new editor later cited "Research Oversights" and the matter was closed.
Having worked in magazine publishing myself, I find this particularly frustrating. Fact-checking is absolutely paramount, but there were situations where one of the mags would have to print a correction or a full-blown retraction and apology over something that had been inadequately researched and not checked by the Editorial team prior to publication. Subsequently, one or two members of the Editorial team (normally Sub-editors) were permanently tasked with fact-checking not only the writing of freelancers, but of the on-staff writers and the Editors themselves, to prevent that kind of thing ever happening again. There were even instances where management instructed that we no longer use certain freelancers because 'research oversights' in their work had cost the company money.

The lack of concern of some of these magazines (new Crash in particular) suggests they haven't yet had any significant financial impact as a result, but it's only a matter of time, if they carry on being so casual about their content.

I seem to take it a lot more personally when it's about the SAM, not only because the facts of its existence and commercial failure are bad enough without being exaggerated or misreported, but because the apocryphal version has become the only version that ever gets reported now... And some of the errors could be picked up simply by looking at the Wikipedia entry and following some of its references... which, by my reckoning, can be considered the very definition of 'minimum-effort journalism'.